Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2020, 02:04 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Best Compressor Fridge Recommendations 2005 Roadtrek 190 Versatile

Own a 2005 Roadtrek 190 Versatile
250 watts Solar
Victron MTTP 100/30amp Controller
2 excellent condition Lifeline Group 27 100amp hour batteries
Live & work in Southern California
Usually drive everyday some miles at least
Have a Generator
Occasionally use AC hookups to equalize my Lifelines

Own the Dometic RM2354 3 way & while it is efficient on propane, frequently I will be parked at a Patient's Home on a non-level surface for 2-4 hours & I either have to turn the fridge off for a while & use iceblocks and then deal with the compromised performance for another day or two plus in the summer, even with an internal battery fan, they limp - was considering investing $200 plus dollars taking the fridge out & installing the fan but I think the Compressor Fridge is the way to go - leveling really is the biggest issue for me, ideally I need to park anywhere as close as possible.

I did read a couple of other threads that got quite heated & the message was diluted & yes, I agree you rarely get what you paid for & not what was promised by the manufacturers* in terms of ratings ie; solar/fridge draw.

*false & misleading at times

Many times I have coasted by & purchased on the shoulders of technically versed posters like Booster, etc. Plus then I choose to have a Professional to do the install* & sometimes what the manufacturer says will fit, doesn't & it costs much more money to do it right.

I do know that I do want the expensive $200 AC/DC module you choose with Novakool, the Isotherm seem to have it installed.

You are 190 owners, what are your experiences & recommendations?

These are the models what I am looking at;
Nova Kool R3800 2.2amps*
Isotherm Cruise 85 3amps*
Isotherm Cruise 130amps*
Vitrifrigo C85 3.3amps* - too high** for 190?
Vitrifrigo C115 3.78amps - too deep** for 190?
Vitrifrigo C130 3.78amps - too deep** for 190?

I am NOT looking at the Novakool R4500 because the amps start at 4.4 & I don't need the biggest fridge but maybe some of you run a 4500 in your 190 & I would be educated by your experiences.

Leaning towards the Nova Kool R3500 (6 week delay) because of the low amperage & size of unit even though I don't have the 30 inches of clearance down below with only 14 inches of Roadtrek Lower grill but with a compressor fan standard down below & an extractor fan on a circuit above (beyond my knowledge), I think the 26 inches of upper grill should be enough. Plus Stuart at Novakool is quick to answer your questions accurately. My only concern is the only 2 year guarantee. I would purchase from Southern California Marine, the CA Distributor in San Diego - they have been helpful, professional & accurate & also sell the Isotherm with a minor price difference.

I like the Isotherm warranty & the fact you can extend it with West Marine but I know that costs more money for something that with the correct installation should last 5 years easily. From what I have read on the reviews, if you don't buy the West Marine coverage & have an issue, sometimes they will exchange the unit but sometimes no & if its a lemon, you have to store it until Isotherm pick it up* & you are usually without a replacement which knowing the lead time is frustrating. The good thing about West Marine, now the lead time is 3 days.

**these other reps are sending my details on units that on one page seem to fit but on other sites, do not.

If you need any more info, please let me know - I rarely watch TV, low electrical usage at night - average solar yield in winter depending on the usage is 250-350 watts, in the summer 300-900 - again that is based on usage.

In the winter, sometimes it might get to as low as a reading* of 12.3 but is typically 12.5.

* this is the reading on the Victron History page that seems to cut off at midnight & if it ever gets that low, I either drive or run the Generator.
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote