Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2023, 04:42 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Did overfill protection worked? (5.9 gallons)

My new Manchester propane tank has the same 5 gallon capacity as my old one on RT 170 .And it is supposed to be only 80% filled. So if overfill protection works the shut off should be at 4 gallons or slightly over.
I am not sure how well that protection worked on the old tank but definitely at 5 gallon mark at the filling station
the RT tank "refused" to take any more and the rest were coming out until the tech turned off their machine.
I usually monitored the process and asked to stop according to the gauge readings.
I recenly went to a propane place with new Ferrell Gas high tech filling machine that supposedly stopps itself when necessary.I don't know the details,that was what a tech told me a while ago.
Anyway,I was counting on my tank overfill protection.
So the process went seemingly fine.The machine stopped.No hissing propane in the process of detaching the nozzle.But it stopped at 5.9 (!) gallons.And the gauge on my tank pointed far over "full" mark.
I know that Manchester tank can hold more than 5 gallons.
But there is the gauge and 80% requirements.
Of course from now on I 'll myself become the gauge )): and monitor the process.Even if the overfill protection is faulty shipping the tank back to Canada ($$) and paying another $$$ for installation ( even if it might be less than 5 hours second time) is insane .But would be interesting to know your opinion on how did that happen - did Farrell Gas high tech machine "overide" RT tank signal ?
Again- weather or not the machine is really high tech I only heard from the propane station employee.

Side question - any possible damage from one time overfill?
RT1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 12:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I think that you tank holds more than 5 gallons. You should check on the information plate on the tank, but, according to the roadtrek brochure for your model year, it is supposed to be a 30 pound tank, which holds seven gallons. In the later model years it gets a bit bigger, a 35 pound tank that holds eight gallons.

Regarding the 80 percent calculation -- I had thought that the listed weight of the tank is how much propane it can hold so it already takes off the 20 percent. So a 20lb portable barbecue tank holds about 4.7 gallons of propane (which weighs something like 4.24 lbs per gallon), and your 30 lb tank holds a bit more than 7 lbs. But forum members - please correct me if I am mistaken on this.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:01 PM   #3
Gold Member

Thank you for the information.
The other question is - should the gauge mark "Full" determin where to stop or the gauge is there just to have an idea how much propane left ?
Old 12-27-2023, 02:07 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT1997 View Post
Thank you for the information.
The other question is - should the gauge mark "Full" determin where to stop or the gauge is there just to have an idea how much propane left ?

The gauges are notoriously inaccurate from all that everyone has told me, including the propane experts.

The spit valve is the best way to determine full unless the OPD shuts it off first, like ours does.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:11 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The gauges are notoriously inaccurate from all that everyone has told me, including the propane experts.

The spit valve is the best way to determine full unless the OPD shuts it off first, like ours does.
Booster -- can you explain how to use the spit valve correctly? I think that some liquid come out of mine even before it is completely full, though I am not sure.
Old 12-27-2023, 02:18 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
Booster -- can you explain how to use the spit valve correctly? I think that some liquid come out of mine even before it is completely full, though I am not sure.

Ours will look like liquid coming out a bit because the gas condenses on the cool fitting but it is mostly vapor. It has never gotten to full liquid out of it point because the OPD stops it. Propane people tell me that when liquid comes out you get a bit of stream and lots of vapor as it evaporates.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:26 PM   #7
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post

So if propane starts coming out through the nozzle is normal indication that the tank is full 80% ?

And does it also indicates that overfill protection not working ?

P.S. The vapor fumes from old tank sometimes were very strong and it was hard for a tech to detach the niozzle - the vapor kept coming like crazy.
Old 12-27-2023, 02:32 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT1997 View Post
So if propane starts coming out through the nozzle is normal indication that the tank is full 80% ?

And does it also indicates that overfill protection not working ?
Yes, I think so: if *liquid* propane is coming out of the spit valve (the small valve near the fill valve), then yes, it is 80%. But, I am not sure that means the OPD (overfill protection device) is not working, because I think that it depends on how that device is installed and adjusted.