Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 03:28 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Re: Fit RV gives detail review of Travato 59K

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Windcrasher. I was not impuning the build quality of the Travatos. I think they learned their lessons from the early ERA's and the one Travato I was able to see up close had no issues that I could see. I used the wrong wording because build quality and materials are subjective.Advanced RV uses expensive materials,Travatos are very cost effective. The only problem that I could find was sawdust . I guess the vacuum was busted the day that particular rig rolled of the assembly line but if the 59k's DESIGN is what I want then I have my own vacuum cleaner. I am counting down the days when my local dealer finally gets a 59k. I am truly amazed at how quickly Winnebago took to heart the criticism of the original 59g and rectified many issues within one model year. Ultimately , I am interested in how someone could make such a negative statement about Winnebagos design limitations when I think the opposite.
No worries, I understand what you are saying. To me, quality is how well something holds up with use. Some may not like the finishes chosen, or the layout, but those are not quality issues. But everything comes at a price, as we all know.

As far as the sawdust goes, I consider that a dealer issue. They obviously weren't very thorough on the cleanup or PDI. It was a busy weekend there - they delivered a long list of RV's that weekend.
Sorry for being rude about WGO products. I think it is important to be critical about what the industry offers, to challenge it. As you are saying, stanw909, Winnebago is listening and it shows. They were the first to acknowledge the advantage of an "affordable" ProMaster based campervan and are testing the market with the unique and innovative 59K layout. They know that the design of a B van can always evolve because of the slow and low tech manufacturing process we have here in North America. It is not important to thourougly address all issues when the vehicle is launched. It evolves in a emerging incremental process. Wincrasher, you bought a new 59G just one year after your first 59G for obvious reasons.

And if nobody complaints, nothing changes, or it takes forever to do so. Just look at the poor design of the bathroom sink on the RT Agile that was finally ditched last year. When we tried to buy an Agile a year ago we asked if it could be modified, reading about all the complaints on blogs, but RT said no. We eventually cancelled our contract because we couldn't agree on many BTO requests. Luckily Safari Condo was designing their new ProMaster van.

We are witnessing important changes in the tiny B sector because of a growing B Boom market. No wonder the Hymer group is interested in finding new markets. The pressure is there to offer new products at all costs. Just look at Roadtrek and their rush to come up with their Zion in white painted particle board and are now back to their traditional merry-cherry ( I agree that the white interior finish was not very appealing ) Every manufacturer are now testing new layouts and vehicles. What is needed now is more scrupulous work, good design above all (whatever that means ) with efficient manufacturing industrial process to offer better quality at affordable costs. I believe Winnebago has the potential to get even better at what they do, but they still have a long road ahead. Hopefully you have high quality design work in very small companies like ARV, Outside Van and Safari Condo and they are booming. The major players in the industry have to be aware of these contemporary examples of well designed Bs, and address their conservative and sometimes poorly designed RVs. Just read what the Wynns are saying about the lack of a contemporary offer in the pathetic Class A sector.

OK I'm through with my long diatribe. Thanks for reading. I appreciate very much sharing my thoughts and reading yours on the wonderful world of Bs.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote