Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
Platinum Member

My Tofino does not come with an awning (even as an option). My previous motorhomes had them and I've always used them. There are pros and cons, as with most everything. What I'm going to try out instead is a quick setup screen house.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Following up on my post #25 from several months ago, I have two things to add:

(1) We got a Clam Venture screened room this year and used it for our 2-week off-grid quarantine. We are sold on it - we are not going off the grid without it in the future (I carry it on the van roof in front of the solar panel array). It's a viable option in lieu of an awning, and in many ways is superior IMO. It's visible in this photo with our picnic table inside of it. It's not easy to put a whole picnic table under an awning - it will block the slider:

(2) In lieu of an awning, I am curious about the newer tarps that have been adapted for use on vans. They are potentially more versatile, especially if they could be moved from the side to the back depending on the needs of the situation, for instance. I have long wished I could leave my back door open in the rain - if I could switch my tarp from the side to the back as needed, I could finally do that.

Here's a composite image showing several from Dragon Fly Tarps. The image at the very bottom is a screenshot from an Adventure Van Expo Instagram Live video I watched recently. These things are being heavily promoted by the #vanlife community.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
My Tofino does not come with an awning (even as an option). My previous motorhomes had them and I've always used them. There are pros and cons, as with most everything. What I'm going to try out instead is a quick setup screen house.
I have both an awning and a screen room. As far as the screen room is concerned, we have this one and have had it for close to 8 years. I'm glad to see it's still available and I think I'll go get another just incase.

It is not quick set up but never takes longer than 5 minutes. It can be moved while assembled and placed over a picnic table for meals and moved again to cover your chairs or to cover your stuff at night to keep the dew off. We've used it to mark our spot if we leave the campsite. At $58 dollars (I paid less), I won't overly upset if some a__h___ steals it. But the best feature of this screen room is that it folds up into a supplied bag that is only 2' long by 6" square. That's perfect for a B.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:39 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I have both an awning and a screen room. As far as the screen room is concerned, we have this one and have had it for close to 8 years. I'm glad to see it's still available and I think I'll go get another just incase.

It is not quick set up but never takes longer than 5 minutes. It can be moved while assembled and placed over a picnic table for meals and moved again to cover your chairs or to cover your stuff at night to keep the dew off. We've used it to mark our spot if we leave the campsite. At $58 dollars (I paid less), I won't overly upset if some a__h___ steals it. But the best feature of this screen room is that it folds up into a supplied bag that is only 2' long by 6" square. That's perfect for a B.
We have a very similar Eddie Bauer brand screen room that folds up compactly of 8" x 8" x 28". We have had it for years through three Class Bs. You are right they don't set up quickly like those Clams. I feel we can leave it set up and come and go just like a tent and marks your site better than a chair or something else that can be interpreted for left behind scavenging. And in Minnesota woods it is necessary for mosquito bit prevention.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote