Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2023, 04:47 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Onan QG2800i replacement info for older Roadtrek

I’m wanting to explore changing out my 23 year old Onan Generator fr a new QG2800i Onan. There is one Onan shop about 50 miles away who say the can do It but it will cost about $6k! That’s outrageous IMHO. As I call around, I can’t get any good info on parts needed to do the swap. I’ve called Onan and, they can’t answer my questions.
1-will I need an adapter kit to hang the new 2800i?
2- which exhaust pipe should I order?
3-can I use the existing remote start wiring from old gen or do I need a new harness w hour counter?

This is frustrating not finding anyone who knows about these things.
Does anyone know a shop, anywhere who is experienced in removing and replacing the Old Onan from a 23 year old Roadtrek 190 Popular? Has any group member done it themselves and know the answer to my questions? Thank you ahead of time. I am going to cross post this to other RT groups.
honeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 06:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyboy View Post
I’m wanting to explore changing out my 23 year old Onan Generator fr a new QG2800i Onan. There is one Onan shop about 50 miles away who say the can do It but it will cost about $6k! That’s outrageous IMHO. As I call around, I can’t get any good info on parts needed to do the swap. I’ve called Onan and, they can’t answer my questions.
1-will I need an adapter kit to hang the new 2800i?
2- which exhaust pipe should I order?
3-can I use the existing remote start wiring from old gen or do I need a new harness w hour counter?

This is frustrating not finding anyone who knows about these things.
Does anyone know a shop, anywhere who is experienced in removing and replacing the Old Onan from a 23 year old Roadtrek 190 Popular? Has any group member done it themselves and know the answer to my questions? Thank you ahead of time. I am going to cross post this to other RT groups.
I have a 2016 PW Lexor. It had the older model Onan. I switched it out to the new 2800i. The mounting plate and bolts were identical. Used the existing wiring to junction box and starter. Fuel line almost identical. 2800i is maybe an inch taller so sits slightly closer to ground. I believe you can do it but it might not be plug and play. You might have to purchase the generator and see if it can be mounted into the existing bracket first. After determining this, you will have to explore the need for accessory items. Call Absolute generators and ask for Jason. Maybe he can provide some technical advice regarding the install?
Old 07-13-2023, 08:09 PM   #3
Silver Member

My mechanic is going to give this a try also. He quoted $3400 for the unit itself. His labor is usually cheap compared to an rv place. I will report what he encounters..
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 08:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

As I understand it you need longer cross bracing bars which Onan sells for an outrageous price ($300) or you can make your own. The rest you can figure out as you go.

The cross braces have an Onan part number. Look hard enough and you will find it. I wouldn’t go near the dealer that gave you the $6k bid.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 09:51 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
My mechanic is going to give this a try also. He quoted $3400 for the unit itself. His labor is usually cheap compared to an rv place. I will report what he encounters..
What model of RV do you have? I, like the OP, am interested in how possible this is in the older Dodge Roadtreks. I imagine that my 170 might be more difficult than the OP's 190 -- there is not much extra space back there.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 11:51 PM   #6
Silver Member

2010 3500 Chevy Roadtrek Simplicity 210
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 01:18 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I hope you can make this work. I just lowered my 2800i to repair a broken bracket, so I had a close look at the mounting system. These are really isolated from vibration. The generator itself is riding on 3 internal rubber supports. In my case the whole assembly is also mounted to the frame on rubber isolators. I did not see a brand name on the mounting system.

I added an Onan resonator to the exhaust. It kind of evens out the sound, and dropped it a few decibels too. This is a simple $45 attachment.

I know generators get a bad rap, but when the 2800i is running there is NO vibration inside and almost no sound inside our van. You can hear it a little outside the van, but it's not at loud as the A/C unit.
JonMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 03:26 PM   #8
DLR

For that kind of money why not just go with a good lithium battery setup and a 3000watt inverter and dc to dc charger and do away with noise and smell of generator
DLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 03:39 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Default I like having a generator

In response to why would I want a new quiet Onan generator, I have a few good reasons. I like driving with my newly installed LG A/C on. It cools the van better than the dash air and it is much more economical. I live where t gets hot in the summer. It’s easier on the engine also. I already have 200AH of lithium and solar. It works great. I installed a Nova Kool compressor fridge which run off the lithiums. The gen can help charge the batts when low. I like the idea of an additional power source. I worship redundancy. Plus…….I can afford it.
honeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 09:06 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR View Post
For that kind of money why not just go with a good lithium battery setup and a 3000watt inverter and dc to dc charger and do away with noise and smell of generator
I have both a 3000 watt inverter, lithium and the Onan 2800i. I can run my AC for several hours on just battery power alone. The Onan 2800i is very quiet and almost no vibration. You cannot go lithium for the price of the Onan 2800i. The generator is less expensive than lithium, inverter and UHG(2nd dedicated altenator). Also this hybrid system has lots of redundancy built in.