Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 06:24 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Question Hot Water Tank RESET Button Issue

So we are still learning about our 2000 Roadtrek V-200.

Was having problems getting the HWT to heat and took it in for repair. So dummy me, when I tried lighting the HWT, the red reset light button immediately came on. Thinking there was a problem, I immediately turned off the on/off switch.....never giving the HWT a chance to ignite. I pushed the reset button on the HWT.

Taking it in for repair, the tech noted "water heater is not full of water and electrical system reset stuck in open position form overheating. Tech had to repair electrical reset switch. Tech had to replace 3-way bypass valve".

The only "reset" switch I was aware of was the one on the front of the HWT itself. The service manager said no, it was the on/off switch on the main control panel.

Is there anything really to repair on the on/off switch? Would this switch really overheat (and I only left it on for about 5-8 seconds)?? Would it have made more sense to just replace the switch??

I honestly don't think this place is reputable considering some of the other stuff they did with the electrical system on our Roadtrek.

So, I know it is a real problem if you try to heat an electric HWT, but would the lack of water in the HWT PREVENT you from starting the process to light the gas HWT??

So this shop charged us $164.12 for this "repair". My thinking is that the tank is 20 years old and I could buy a brand new one for about $350.00 so why fiddle with something so old.

Appreciate your thoughts and advice.

HorseshoeCat
Horseshoecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

This whole deal sounds phoney to me too. First, the normal operation sequence is: turn on the switch, the red light comes on, the burner lights after 5 or 10 seconds and the red light goes out and the water heats up. I am not aware if any electric heating provision from the RT factory but there are after market electric heating rods which go in the anode threaded opening.
Starting the gas burner on a partially filled for 20 or 30 seconds would likely do no harm and running an electric heat rod would be no problem if water was high enough to cover the rod.
Something doesn’t smell right here!
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
This whole deal sounds phoney to me too. First, the normal operation sequence is: turn on the switch, the red light comes on, the burner lights after 5 or 10 seconds and the red light goes out and the water heats up. I am not aware if any electric heating provision from the RT factory but there are after market electric heating rods which go in the anode threaded opening.
Starting the gas burner on a partially filled for 20 or 30 seconds would likely do no harm and running an electric heat rod would be no problem if water was high enough to cover the rod.
Something doesn’t smell right here!
That is exactly why I am asking these questions. Like I said, if they could not "reset" the switch, give me an estimate for repairs. Then they come up with this bill for $164.12; I would have happily paid for their time to evaluate the system, but don't go making all this crap up and then charging me something I really did not need.

The stuff he did on my electrical system is just as sketchy. So damn sad.

HorseshoeCat
Old 04-16-2021, 11:12 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Confused me the first time I used it. Very poor design, logic makes you think it needs to be reset. Pleasure-Way 2009 Lexor TS
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:09 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
Confused me the first time I used it. Very poor design, logic makes you think it needs to be reset. Pleasure-Way 2009 Lexor TS
Appreciate your insight as well.

So, I pulled the on/off switch off of the main panel. I noted all the wires and fittings appeared to be factory installed. It makes me believe the RV repair place LIED about "repairing" the switch. The wires were all the same length and it appeared the original wire connectors were intact. I am prepping a letter to the Arkansas Attorney General for their deceptive work and making unauthorized repairs to other parts of our RV .

HorseshoeCat
Old 04-16-2021, 11:54 PM   #6
Platinum Member

All too common, I fear!
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote