Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 05:20 PM   #301
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
I believe RoadTrek 'beta-tested; with 3 or more actual customers by giving them use of an RV equipped with the technology. Maybe others will have more information about the type of other testing methods Roadtrek uses.
The only testing I am familiar with is with the prototype vans used by Mike Wendland and Campskunk but there surely could have been other less well known testers. I would not characterize them as actual customers for lots of reasons but that is not relevant. The actual configuration of these two prototypes is a very tightly guarded secret and they may have been updated as things progressed with the development of the systems. I would characterize their testing as Alpha testing since I don't think that the configurations were close to the actual systems delivered to customers who were not involved as testers. In any case, the fact that many of the initial deliveries of the "production" versions to actual paying customers not involved in testing were DOA and Roadtrek was unable to fix them and eventually made significant changes to get the system working shows that whatever development testing was done by Roadtrek was not effective. The only explanation I ever saw from Roadtrek for the problems was that they had received relays from a supplier that were not working in the field and needed to be replaced. I don't ever expect to hear the actual facts about the problems and the fixes. At one point the AGM battery was added which may have addressed an issue but in the end also allows the heating of cold lithium battery cells by running the engine which is a feature not available in vans from an unnamed other company with similar technology. An owner of a van from this other company may respond that he does not need this added feature which is a reasonable assessment for his usage profile but maybe something other buyers would find useful.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #302
Platinum Member

Quote:
Early on I saw many low miles Roadtreks with the advanced battery and solar packages showing up for sale on RV Trader or showing up as trades with other manufacturers (Airstream). In addition, I thought I saw one owner establish his own blog documenting all the problems he encountered with his new RV. He did not sound very happy. If I were trying to get out from under not so reliable RV, I would not note that in my 4-sale sign.

April 18th Even though we are trying to sell our E-trek, we still plan to take some trips to our usual spots over the next two months It retailed for $152K but is willing to let it go for a new price of $120K reduced from the original asking price of $132K.

People tend to cut their losses and move on when things go bad with cars and RVs
These vans for sale do not likely have advanced battery systems just big banks of AGM batteries rather than the newer Ecotrek lithium battery modules...

In general, Roadtrek has fixes for the problems in these older vans but I have seen some that still have issues after the fixes have been done...

I agree that they lost customers due to the problems with these vans...
Old 04-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #303
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I don't ever expect to hear the actual facts about the problems and the fixes. At one point the AGM battery was added which may have addressed an issue but in the end also allows the heating of cold lithium battery cells by running the engine which is a feature not available in vans from an unnamed other company with similar technology. An owner of a van from this other company may respond that he does not need this added feature which is a reasonable assessment for his usage profile but maybe something other buyers would find useful.
Mister Coy you are. It is interesting you have such vast knowledge and experience about what you write_NOT!
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #304
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Mister Coy you are. It is interesting you have such vast knowledge and experience about what you write_NOT!
I don't think I need any more knowledge or experience to know that as a buyer of a lithium battery equipped van, I personally would want that added capability that you don't happen to want. What is wrong with that??

I was just testing to see if you were actively reading the forum today...
Old 04-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #305
Platinum Member

Quote:
Early on I saw many low miles Roadtreks with the advanced battery and solar packages showing up for sale on RV Trader or showing up as trades with other manufacturers (Airstream). In addition, I thought I saw one owner establish his own blog documenting all the problems he encountered with his new RV. He did not sound very happy. If I were trying to get out from under not so reliable RV, I would not note that in my 4-sale sign.

April 18th Even though we are trying to sell our E-trek, we still plan to take some trips to our usual spots over the next two months It retailed for $152K but is willing to let it go for a new price of $120K reduced from the original asking price of $132K.

People tend to cut their losses and move on when things go bad with cars and RVs
These people have their van posted on my Facebook group for sale. It's probably difficult to sell any late model used van at that kind of price - it's not alot less than a discounted new one. They have posted several times that all their troubles have been fixed by Roadtrek to their satisfaction. They also say their reason for selling is that they don't see using it as much as they had planned. Can't tell you if that is BS or not.

It's my understanding it an AGM E-trek.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #306
Platinum Member

I agree the discount isnt enough (at least for me) to buy a used one although I think the Roadtrek warranty is transferable (PW is not?)? Also, I believe their van had a dog and a mod for a permanent dog crate. Not something I would want especially with such a complicated vehicle at that price I would want to know from the beginning how it was used and maintained. However, I am kind of anal about maintenance (e.g. I don't trust the auto-maintenance oil change intervals on BMW's). The blog might be helpful for people to see the issues and how they were resolved compared to other used e-treks that are not as documented/fixed.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #307
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
These people have their van posted on my Facebook group for sale. It's probably difficult to sell any late model used van at that kind of price - it's not alot less than a discounted new one. They have posted several times that all their troubles have been fixed by Roadtrek to their satisfaction. They also say their reason for selling is that they don't see using it as much as they had planned. Can't tell you if that is BS or not.

It's my understanding it an AGM E-trek.
Yes, it is an 8 AGM 24v configuration and I expect they will be lucky to find a buyer at their current price with comparable used units advertised for less at dealers that likely can be negotiated down...

I think they have been pretty open about the problems and the fixes that Roadtrek has done. Some the vans with the 8 AGM configuration still seem to work fine for some owners even without the fixes and others show problems after the fixes in some cases. Seems hit or miss and some owners plug in to shore power all the time which hides most electrical system problems.

My BS detector did not activate when I have communicated with her, I think their explanation for selling is above board.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #308
Platinum Member

Nearly new Class B's for sale is not unusual. A quick search on RVTrader shows a bunch of 2014 & newer used B's for sale.

Roadtrek (70)
Winnebago (58 )
Airstream (50)
Pleasure Way (37)
Leisure Travel (21)
Midwest Automotive Designs (4)
Great West Vans (1)

Lots of reasons.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:56 PM   #309
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
I agree the discount isnt enough (at least for me) to buy a used one although I think the Roadtrek warranty is transferable (PW is not?)? Also, I believe their van had a dog and a mod for a permanent dog crate. Not something I would want especially with such a complicated vehicle at that price I would want to know from the beginning how it was used and maintained. However, I am kind of anal about maintenance (e.g. I don't trust the auto-maintenance oil change intervals on BMW's). The blog might be helpful for people to see the issues and how they were resolved compared to other used e-treks that are not as documented/fixed.
As I recall, they just removed the seat behind the driver to add the dog crate. I expect the seat can go back in place to return it to the standard setup for the sale.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #310
Platinum Member

I wonder if the for sale one is old enough to have the 6 year warranty on the AGMs, or is only one year? That would make a huge difference, I think, in expense over the six years, as probably every etrek will need new AGMs at least once, mabey more in that time.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #311
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I wonder if the for sale one is old enough to have the 6 year warranty on the AGMs, or is only one year? That would make a huge difference, I think, in expense over the six years, as probably every etrek will need new AGMs at least once, mabey more in that time.
They bought it early last year when the 6 year warranty was still in effect for the AGMs...

Is that warranty transferable to a 2nd owner, I don't recall if it was or not???
Old 05-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #312
Platinum Member

New VP for Sales and Service for motorized vehicles at Erwin Hymer NA...

Snell to head sales effort for Hymer in N. America | RV Daily Report | Breaking RV Industry News and Campground Information
Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #313
Platinum Member

Good find, very interesting. So the Roadtrek guy goes to the trailer side and the new guy does the motorhomes. Perhaps a change of direction coming?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:47 PM   #314
Platinum Member

It appears he was previously President of Monaco and Holiday Rambler...
Old 05-03-2016, 09:55 PM   #315
Platinum Member

I wonder who was doing the service part that the new guy is getting? The Roatrek guy just had it mentioned that he was sales. Service is a big deal to get straight, I think.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #316
Platinum Member

I read it as they were both the VP for sales and service for their product segments...
Old 05-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #317
Platinum Member

That news is now also on the Go Hymer site. They have also updated the "Upcoming Tradeshows and Events" portion listing all the 2016 shows they will be at.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #318
Platinum Member

Quote:
I read it as they were both the VP for sales and service for their product segments...
You are correct.

I had just looked at the joining the sales team and didn't see the place down further when they gave the Roadtrek guy's history there.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #319
Platinum Member

Wine Festival and Show Jumping and Sturgis, quite a range of target demographics...
Old 05-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #320
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wine Festival and Show Jumping and Sturgis, quite a range of target demographics...
My guess would those are also more "tune-up" shows (even if the Aktiv model comes to market before) to get the sales pitch down before Hershey and Pomona. They probably want to be taking orders at those.

Interesting that the towables are coming soon, too.