Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 06:14 AM   #521
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
It would be nice if they had the side windows in the rear like on the Akitv in addition to the rear windows that open...

Any idea how they keep the sliding door from hitting the passenger side rear side window on the Akitv? Doesn't it open or is the opening limited?
It opens like the rest of the windows. If it is open and you slide the door open it will hit and potentially break the glass. Is it perfect? No, but I'd rather have the option to open it versus not and be aware of it and not breaking the window.
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #522
Platinum Member

The bed is at the exact elevation I built mine which is at the level of maximum width in the van. Windows would shave about 3 or more inches. The bed width on that model is probably around 75", same as mine.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #523
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
It opens like the rest of the windows. If it is open and you slide the door open it will hit and potentially break the glass. Is it perfect? No, but I'd rather have the option to open it versus not and be aware of it and not breaking the window.
Ow! If we owned such a thing, I would give the chances of eventual glass breakage at approaching 100%. If it were me, I would attempt to rig a safety interlock (or at least an alarm) using a magnetic reed switch on the glass. Our Sienna minivan won't let you open the driver's side sliding door if the gas filler door is open.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #524
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Ow! If we owned such a thing, I would give the chances of eventual glass breakage at approaching 100%. If it were me, I would attempt to rig a safety interlock (or at least an alarm) using a magnetic reed switch on the glass. Our Sienna minivan won't let you open the driver's side sliding door if the gas filler door is open.
I guess you are not likely to actually break the double panes of whatever it is, maybe polycarbonate or some type of plastic, but it surely would damage it in some way...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #525
Platinum Member

Silly question I know, but how does one make up these strange-shaped beds? Not just this one, but also the ones with corners shaved off, etc.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #526
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Silly question I know, but how does one make up these strange-shaped beds? Not just this one, but also the ones with corners shaved off, etc.
A lot of people just use sleeping bags of some sort or another. We prefer real sheets, and so are glad our bed is rectangular.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #527
Platinum Member

Quote:
(1) you can just use regular sheets, i.e. not fitted.(2) if you know someone handy with a sewing machine, not a big deal to custom fit a set for the bed.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #528
Platinum Member

Quote:
It would be nice if they had the side windows in the rear like on the Akitv in addition to the rear windows that open...

Any idea how they keep the sliding door from hitting the passenger side rear side window on the Akitv? Doesn't it open or is the opening limited?
I haven't seen one so I'm only guessing but the mechanism of that small awning back window on the passenger side would be easy to block so that it doesn't interfere with the sliding door. Enough clearance for ventilation.

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #529
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
I haven't seen one so I'm only guessing but the mechanism of that small awning back window on the passenger side would be easy to block so that it doesn't interfere with the sliding door. Enough clearance for ventilation.

Safari Condo does it on their Sprinter XL Flex for the window next to the sliding door opening.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #530
Platinum Member

I've seen on the PM forum a DIY bump on the slider bottom rail that stops the door at an intermediate position.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #531
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've seen on the PM forum a DIY bump on the slider bottom rail that stops the door at an intermediate position.
...but then you would loose the pleasure of having a galley counter accessible and open to the outside (IMO THE most interesting features of campervans with sliding doors and galleys on the passengers side, as opposed to motorhomes).

I might be wrong but I think it is easier to have a blocking mechanism in the gas springs or the locking hardware (that you could override in case of extreme heat, but then it gets tricky!) that limits the opening of the awning.

I think you have at least a 2"-3" inch clearance between the inside of the sliding door and the exterior of the very flat acrylic window (not the bulbous ones). More than enough for ventilation, with the rear windows that open also (or do they open really? I've read that DOT regulations forbids opening in the rear of the van)
But then you also have a window that fully opens on the driver's side.

I believe Safari Condo is using a simple strap that limits the extension of the awning window.
Found it when blowing up a photo available on their web site

http://www.safaricondo.com/en/motorises_Mercedes-XLFLEX

Old 11-04-2016, 02:02 AM   #532
Platinum Member

OK, I was wrong. I thought they would be wiser to solve this potential problem.

The official answer from their Facebook page:

Go Hymer
In order to open the door fully the back window will need to be shut. As the door is open the window has a couple inches of clearance. But you'll need to be conscious of opening and closing the door.

!
Old 11-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #533
Platinum Member

My PM measures a hair less than 3" to the van wall.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #534
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
OK, I was wrong. I thought they would be wiser to solve this potential problem.

!
GeorgeB

Looks like you just identified the first mod for new Aktiv buyers! (unless RT picks it up first ;~)
Old 11-07-2016, 11:42 PM   #535
Platinum Member

The Hymer dealer locator is up and running...

Go Hymer » Dealer Locator
Old 11-08-2016, 12:05 AM   #536
Platinum Member

Quote:
The Hymer dealer locator is up and running...

Go Hymer » Dealer Locator
Thank for the link, Greg!

Hope they keep it updated. Strange - IMO - choices for dealers. Must be the "beta" version. Live just outside Philly, gave me General RV, a bit over 150 miles (2-1/2 to 3hours) from me, who does not even handle RT Class Bs. But they do sell Winnebagos?? Now they are a Hymer dealer? And the address has a zip code in Florida (32073). Go figure. Biggest RT dealers near me are Fretz and Colonial. Surprised one of them is not listed. Seems they left out the entire Northeast corridor.

Not a good first step.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:42 AM   #537
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Thank for the link, Greg!

Hope they keep it updated. Strange - IMO - choices for dealers. Must be the "beta" version. Live just outside Philly, gave me General RV, a bit over 150 miles (2-1/2 to 3hours) from me, who does not even handle RT Class Bs. But they do sell Winnebagos?? Now they are a Hymer dealer? And the address has a zip code in Florida (32073). Go figure. Biggest RT dealers near me are Fretz and Colonial. Surprised one of them is not listed. Seems they left out the entire Northeast corridor.

Not a good first step.
Looks like when they got a big multistate dealer network with lots of locations like General RV they eliminated some of their current high quality Roadtrek dealers such as American RV in Michigan.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:58 AM   #538
Platinum Member

Quote:
Looks like when they got a big multistate dealer network with lots of locations like General RV they eliminated some of their current high quality Roadtrek dealers such as American RV in Michigan.
Agreed. But what I am looking at is the huge gap in dealers in a part of the country where (1) lots of people and (2) lots of potential buyers

IMO they have a number of dealers clustered together fighting it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HymerDealers.jpg (176.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-08-2016, 01:47 AM   #539
Platinum Member

I expect there will eventually be dealers filling in those holes...
Old 11-08-2016, 02:07 AM   #540
Platinum Member

The whole middle of the country has nothing... East Coast/West Coast/Texas and Florida - to hell with the rest of us.

Doesn't make any sense to me to stiff some of their best Roadtrek dealers and dealers that specialize in B's and small C's, like Lake Region in Minnesota.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote