Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Just watched your video before posting and I knew many would want to follow your channel and experience with the Activ 2.0.

I had zero doubt you would buy one after the test drive at the RV show. The 2.0 version was a surprise.

Congrats.
Thanks ClassB4Me! We're excited to be working with Hymer and fell in love with the Aktiv when we first saw it at the Florida SuperShow last year. The Class A was just getting to be too big for us so this will be a nice change.
WereTheRussos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #582
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereTheRussos View Post
We're the couple mentioned above. We've been lurking here for a while and following the thread.

A bit of info you might be interested in with our new Hymer:
- This is the first unit off of Hymer's new assembly line.
- It's on the extended chassis so we'll get about another foot of room over the first Aktiv.
- It has the platform bed

Nice to meet everyone!

Joe Russo
Welcome !

I enjoy your channel.
You two are a great couple.

I am glad you made the switch to ClassB.

Can't wait to watch your first cassette dump.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:22 PM   #583
Silver Member

Joe,
Congrats on the new Aktiv. I hope your delivery is better than ours. I have a feeling based on your YouTube channel and the coverage it gets Hymer does a better job of quality control. A couple items to do right off the bat.
1. Swap out the Promaster CITY headunit surround for the correct version:

2. Check you kitchen sink water lines. Make sure you have the PEX hoses not the clear soft ones that explode
3. Test the shower. The base of our shower leaks at the edges of the sliding door
4. Make sure your dash odometer and clock aren't flashing. They need to install a module for the aftermarket headunit that allows you to do the Van menu options (specifically set the date and time).
5. Test your DVD player... bring a DVD and make sure it all works. We had issues with ours at first had to be rewired.
6. On the floor under the dining table where the water pump is. There is a control lever for the Hot vs Cold water. We change it depending on what we are doing and if we are connected to a water line or not.
7. Hot water is only drawn from the fresh water tank only. So be aware of that. We didn't realize that until our fresh water was emptied while hooked up. This might be how ours is and maybe Hymer fixed it?
8. Dealers are pretty clueless on the operation of them and the manual is less than informative.
9. If you have any questions feel free to message me and I will send you my email address.
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:49 PM   #584

Thanks for the suggestions Navanod. I read through your other thread about the issues you had - great resource.

From what we saw, the 2.0 has some changes/improvements over the original version. We didn't have a chance to go through it in detail since it was still in PDI but we'll cover it in more detail once we have it (fingers crossed that it's next week). Our unit is being handled by a tech that really seems to know his stuff so I'm not too concerned but I'm going to forward your list over to him so he can double check it. Since we don't own the unit, Hymer is providing it to us for a year, we can't swap out things like the head unit (unless we swapped it back later) but good to know for others.

BTW - what do you think about the cassette toilet? We love to boondock and we've been wondering how realistic is it to drive into town and stroll into a Walmart or something and dump our tanks without anyone wondering what that thing is we're wheeling into the store.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #585
Platinum Member

Quote:
BTW - what do you think about the cassette toilet? We love to boondock and we've been wondering how realistic is it to drive into town and stroll into a Walmart or something and dump our tanks without anyone wondering what that thing is we're wheeling into the store.
When I saw you guys got an Aktiv, my first thought was 'I wonder how long it takes before they get tired of and/or regret the cassette.' At least you only have a one year commitment to use it.

We've used our Trend throughout the winter. Most of the family has been flushing with antifreeze. I found an empty gallon milk jug to be very useful. If you go through a lot of liquids like the FitRV folks and I do, an extra container might help you cut down on the more involved cassette trips to the bathroom.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:33 PM   #586
Silver Member

Aktiv 2.0

If the Russo's are getting the 2.0 with the platform bed, like the 1.0 Does anyone know where the extra 2 feet get used?
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:24 PM   #587
Platinum Member

Welcome Russos... I remember watching your first video of the Activ and look forward to your next offerings.

I thought the whole thing with the 2.0 was that it would have a power sofa in the rear. (something that doesn't appeal to me) So, will you have the same platform bed as the 1.0?
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:43 AM   #588

Quote:
Thanks ClassB4Me! We're excited to be working with Hymer and fell in love with the Aktiv when we first saw it at the Florida SuperShow last year. The Class A was just getting to be too big for us so this will be a nice change.
Even though Hymer is sponsoring you, I really encourage you to be transparent and candid about your experience with the Hymer Aktiv. I think a lot of people are excited about the Aktiv, birth pains are inevitable, but clarity and honesty about how issues are resolved will be really appreciated by those of us who are as excited about the Hymer Aktiv as you are.

Thanks for the great YouTube channel, particularly the one about dispersed camping in U.S. National Forests. I'm an avid backpacker....and I never knew about this.
biofloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:46 AM   #589
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Aktiv 2.0

If the Russo's are getting the 2.0 with the platform bed, like the 1.0 Does anyone know where the extra 2 feet get used?

not 2 ft... only extra 14 inches.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:52 AM   #590

Quote:
We're excited to be working with Hymer and fell in love with the Aktiv when we first saw it at the Florida SuperShow last year.
Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences with the Hymer Aktiv. I hope you will remain candid and transparent about experiences with the Akitv. Birth and growing pains are normal, but I think those of us who are excited by the Hymer products also want to see how issues get resolved.

I subscribed your You Tube channel, after finding the video about "dispersed camping areas" in U.S. National Forests. I'm an avid backpacker....and I didn't know about these areas. It was very helpful, concise, and well done. Bravo.

/eric in Québec
biofloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:10 AM   #591
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
not 2 ft... only extra 14 inches.
14 inches can be a lot in a B. Question remains, is it just in the bed or where does it get used?
Old 04-09-2017, 02:20 AM   #592
Silver Member

Your bed is wider... Hymer claims it's a king. I wonder if you can sleep north/south vs. east/west? I would assume you get 14" of extra drawers and cabinets as well? I hope at least.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:27 AM   #593
Silver Member

Joe,
We like the cassette... I like having the drain hose only for grey water... The idea of solid waste getting stuck in that hose grosses me out. I love the cassette. The nossle rotates and there is a relief button to allow better flow. We have only used the cassette at rest areas and RV sites. Used it once at our toilet at home as well. Be sure you close your toilet flap after each use. The cassette has gears that engage with the toilet and they can get misaligned if the toilet flap is left open while removing the cassette.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:33 AM   #594
Silver Member

Also I was talking about the adapter/Surround for the actual radio not the radio itself. Hymer uses the wrong adapter. They chose to use the Promaster CITY surround which doesn't fit and is the wrong finish. It is high gloss black and Hymer grinds down the corners to make it fit. Problem is you can see through these corners into the dash. My gut tells me someone ordered the wrong adapter at the factory and fudged it to make it half ass work.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:14 AM   #595

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Welcome Russos... I remember watching your first video of the Activ and look forward to your next offerings.

I thought the whole thing with the 2.0 was that it would have a power sofa in the rear. (something that doesn't appeal to me) So, will you have the same platform bed as the 1.0?
Thanks - yes, it has the same platform bed, just longer and north/south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
14 inches can be a lot in a B. Question remains, is it just in the bed or where does it get used?
With the longer North/South bed you get extra storage below and a third cabinet above.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:52 AM   #596
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks - yes, it has the same platform bed, just longer and north/south.

With the longer North/South bed you get extra storage below and a third cabinet above.
That sounds great! The 2.0 would be my choice then with the platform bed.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #597
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions Navanod. I read through your other thread about the issues you had - great resource.

From what we saw, the 2.0 has some changes/improvements over the original version. We didn't have a chance to go through it in detail since it was still in PDI but we'll cover it in more detail once we have it (fingers crossed that it's next week). Our unit is being handled by a tech that really seems to know his stuff so I'm not too concerned but I'm going to forward your list over to him so he can double check it. Since we don't own the unit, Hymer is providing it to us for a year, we can't swap out things like the head unit (unless we swapped it back later) but good to know for others.

Regarding the cassette... I was thinking of getting one at one point so thought maybe a fabric cover (nylon with elastic? Similar to the TV cover Roadtrek uses) that went over the cassette (cleanable just I case) could fit over it and make it look more like luggage... then just wheel it in and no one would really notice? I think it would be easy to make or have made.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:49 AM   #598
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
Regarding the cassette... I was thinking of getting one at one point so thought maybe a fabric cover (nylon with elastic? Similar to the TV cover Roadtrek uses) that went over the cassette (cleanable just I case) could fit over it and make it look more like luggage... then just wheel it in and no one would really notice? I think it would be easy to make or have made.
Walmart, stores, and other retail places do not allow people to bring their trash into their businesses. That is what you and anyone else would be doing if you take a cassette into them to dump. There are designated places that people can take their trash to.

I would not have a problem telling walmart or any other store that people are dumping their trash in their bathrooms. That includes anyone whether it is the were the russo's or my neighbor next door.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:05 AM   #599
Platinum Member

Quote:

Given your Internet profile....

1) You would probably be made an example of for what is wrong with RVers using Walmart parking lots - even though your were passing through (especially if you have not obtained permission in advance).

2) The situation would get blow out of proportion and may turn against RVers

3) They would think you are trying to 'lift' merchandise and the camera would be watching your every move

It is easier to go to a truck stop or rest stop if on the highway. A gas station bathroom would probably be easier. However, they may say no if you tell them you want to dump your waste down their toilet.

Finally, now that you are associated with Erwin Hymer and are 'public reality RV celebrities', this may result in unwanted bad press or a merchandising deal with Walmart. The world is now upside down.

Congrats on your new adventure.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:07 AM   #600
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
Maybe consider getting an extra cassette and DIY a storage area in the rear for it. Would let you fill up one and then - while using the 2nd - find an appropriate dump place?