Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 01:14 AM   #601
Platinum Member

I don't see the need for dumping cassettes in the bathroom of a commercial establishment such as a store, gas station, or restaurant. There are plenty of public bathrooms in rest areas, state and local parks, primitive campgrounds, etc. where dumping a cassette could easily be done without any issues. This, of course, assumes you are traveling in areas where these facilities are common which we will be doing when we start traveling full time with a cassette toilet. We do have a spare cassette which gives us about the same capacity as the black tank in our current vehicle, a 2008 Roadtrek Sprinter. If you are really out in the boondocks you could have the option of burying the waste assuming it is allowed.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #602
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
1) You would probably be made an example of for what is wrong with RVers using Walmart parking lots - even though your were passing through (especially if you have not obtained permission in advance).

2) The situation would get blow out of proportion and may turn against RVers

3) They would think you are trying to 'lift' merchandise and the camera would be watching your every move

It is easier to go to a truck stop or rest stop if on the highway. A gas station bathroom would probably be easier. However, they may say no if you tell them you want to dump your waste down their toilet.
I think it will take great caution due to the fact that cassettes are so uncommon in the US. For a full timer who doesn't use commercial RV campgrounds, it is probably best to be using places like Greg recommended. A good option is likely truck stops like Flying J.

Isn't there also an ap to find dump stations?

The Russos will be seen as representatives of Hymer, so they will need take special care.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:37 AM   #603

Default Build quality of Hymer Aktiv.

I am a newbie seeking a short version of type B RV.

Based on YouTube reviews, I was considering Hymer Aktiv. I went to see one today and was somewhat disappointed with build quality. Parts appear "toyish" and "weak". The seats allow very little adjustments and less than comfortable compared to passenger car seats.

Am I being too picky? Or are there better ones for me to consider?
RVB Fan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #604
BBQ
Platinum Member

Yes you are being too picky. LOL

The Aktiv build material and quality is quite good.

They use high strength light weight board on aluminum frame.
They might look "flimsy", but is actually very sturdy.

Maybe you are looking for the older style solid maple cabinets?

Check out Pleasure Way; they still use solid maple.
But I am not sure if they have a short RV.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #605
Platinum Member

I have aluminum framed cabinetry based on 1.5” square extrusions. To get an equivalent strength at least ¾” plywood would need to be used. I did some weight calculation during the decision process. Using 80/20 aluminum profiles I compared ply versus aluminum weight and here is the example of my galley. I would assume that Hymer has access to lower weight profiles so their framing could be lighter. I have noticed that for the lower inner edge for overhead cabinets Hymer has a likely a custom extrusion.

1. Galley is 37”W x 33”H x 20”D
2. No appliances, no countertop, no drawers or cabinet doors

Ply was about 60lbs and Al frame 30lbs. Use of aluminum framing results with a stronger and lighter product but it does require qualified labor force above the knowledge of using The Staple.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #606
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB Fan07 View Post
Am I being too picky? Or are there better ones for me to consider?
If you want a short RV... under 20 ft and want new, you have only Roadtrek/Hymer... or go to a build to order company like Sportsmobile.

If you can go to a slightly longer - 21/22 feet, you can look at Winnebago and Pleasureway.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 07-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #607

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Yes you are being too picky. LOL

The Aktiv build material and quality is quite good.

They use high strength light weight board on aluminum frame.
They might look "flimsy", but is actually very sturdy.

Maybe you are looking for the older style solid maple cabinets?

Check out Pleasure Way; they still use solid maple.
But I am not sure if they have a short RV.
No, I am not looking for solid maple cabinets.

To my eyes, certain parts such as the bathroom door and the plastic frame around it appeared "weak" and "flimsy". And window shades were using plastic material for closing clips and I was afraid they would break easily and be time consuming and expensive to replace them.

FYI, Pleasure Way Ascent is 235 inches long (19.5 ft), therefore, shorter than Aktive 2.0. But it is diesel and sleeps only two people.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #608

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #609
Platinum Member

The Pleasure-way Ascent and the Roadtrek Agile are Mercedes Benz Sprinters built on the 144" wheel base and are less than 20 feet long.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #610

Default Ideal length of Type B for city parking and stealth camping.

I am a newbie trying to decide on the make/model and length of type B RV.

I have settled for a type B because of its mobility. I would appreciate inputs from the experienced RViers as to the ideal length of RV for (1) easy of driving and (2) parking and stealth camping in the city.

My preferred minimum length is 19.5 ft. I see the length of extended Sprinter vans of up to 25 ft.

Thanks for any inputs.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #611
Platinum Member

Quote:

I have settled for a type B because of its mobility. I would appreciate inputs from the experienced RViers as to the ideal length of RV for (1) easy of driving and (2) parking and stealth camping in the city.

My preferred minimum length is 19.5 ft. I see the length of extended Sprinter vans of up to 25 ft.

Thanks for any inputs.
You mentioned the seating and by consensus the Sprinter seats are better than Promasters. I don't think I am out of line in my assessment. Also, the Roadtrek Chevies can be had in your desired length and Chevy seats are very comfortable.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #612
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks for any inputs.
I suggest starting a new thread so this one stays focused on Hymer Activ.

Cheers,
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #613

Went to see a Hymer Activ in Huntley, IL last weekend. Not knowing what it was, looked at it. What drew us to it was the bed. However I was sorely disappointed with the quality of the vehicle. Some of the things I noticed:

- trim piece on wall behind the driver's seat is two pieces - this looked like it was done this way at the factory - the two pieces overlapped each other, and screws were screwed right where the overlap happened.
- shower door was very hard to open and close.
- one of hinges on a cabinet door (above and behind the second row of seating) was broken - it had been pulled completely out of the wall.
- the exterior metal paneling above the driver side rear (plexiglass?) window was wavy.
- almost broke the rear passenger side window as we had it open and then opened the sliding door.
- mechanism to open the skylight seemed flimsy.
- foldout table was hard to open up - I was afraid I was going to break it so asked the dealer to do it (which he was able to do).

The dealer was very keen on selling this unit, almost to the point of pushing it.

So, question is, is this what should be expected quality wise from Hymer for the NA Activ?
ccstinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:38 PM   #614
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstinger View Post

So, question is, is this what should be expected quality wise from Hymer for the NA Activ?
All depends. Too often, it seems, units end up sitting on lots, with a lot of people going through it, poking, pulling, and breaking things. Issue are the dealers who let those units sit and don't maintain them. This can happen to Winnebagos, Roadtreks, etc, too. As for this unit, does the price reflect the condition? Most of what you mention can be adjusted/fixed, etc. How were the systems? Plumbing, electrical, propane, appliances, etc? Those are the things that cost $$$ to fix/replace.

A bit like an RV show. First day, everything is spotless. By end of show, wear and tear shows.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:36 PM   #615
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstinger View Post

What are you comparing to?

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:00 AM   #616
Platinum Member

It's similar to the issues with Roadtreks these days. Same factory and crews after all.

I too was disappointed with a few things that seemed a bit cheap on the Activ... like the window frames... and skylight frame. But there were good things too. Great windows... great use of space. It would be nice to see them up their game...

Tomorrow I am going to see the new Axion. Badged Carado (not Hymer or Roadtrek)... their cheap line. Hopefully it will be a little bit better than the sad Sunlight.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 07-14-2017, 01:07 AM   #617
BBQ
Platinum Member

I don't see the value of the sky light.

Most people are going to install more solar panels,
the skylight is going to be covered.

Besides, the sun will make the interior temperature sky high. The inside is not dark to start with. Why do you need to add light?

:
Old 07-14-2017, 03:26 AM   #618
Platinum Member

You can't have too much light. The skylight is a very desirable feature. It comes with an integrated sun shade for those days you don't want it, along with a screen as well. It's a ton of ventilation as well.

More solar is of very limited value. 250w is plenty to keep ahead of the fridge. 1/2 hour of engine idling beats an entire day of solar with a much bigger array.

The windows are anything but cheap in my view. I had the very same ones on my Cricket trailer, and they were wonderful. The double pane does a lot for sound, and insulation, as well as being light (they are acrylic). Wind noise is nearly impossible because of the locking mechanisms. The integrated shades/screens work very well, and also tuck away out of sight if you don't want to use them. Since they are awning style, you can hang them open on rainy days. Downside is you could scratch them, so some caution is needed - I wouldn't go thru a mechanical car wash or use a scrub pad on them.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:49 AM   #619
Platinum Member

I'm with you on the skylight. I loved the one that I had in my Libero.

Did you misunderstand my post about the window frames? The windows are great... best RV windows available, I'd say... but in the unit that I saw they used these cheap looking yellowish plastic frames... with pieces falling off.

Odd combination of good and bad.

I did a quick run through of the Activ on the lot in Minneapolis... and it was faultless. Bathroom door opened and closed smoothly... no bits of window frame lying about... all the drawers and doors opened and closed and locked efficiently. Didn't have time to test everything.

So, I have hope that things are improving.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 07-15-2017, 02:24 AM   #620
Platinum Member

People have a knack for tearing them up when they sit on the lot. Dealers who hold their price too long end up with a beat up unit at a high price. Guess that's why I've always ordered. Very few rigs I've bought have had any problems. Hope this Aktiv continues with that record!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote