Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #161
Platinum Member

Wow! What an ordeal you had to experience! Well at least you learned, the hard way, that you bought from a company that stands behind its product. I reckon buying a RV show model entails a certain level of risk. But even beyond that you had quite the journey to 100% good-to-go status. Wishing you the very best luck from here on out. And looking forward to hearing more about the new rig.
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #162
Platinum Member

Wow that is a long list of issues... also many of them appear to be items that should have been easily caught during quality control reviews or during final inspection. That being said it is good they gave you support including some financial compensation, but wow that would have really bummed me out. We thought very hard about buying an Aktiv but decided it wasn't for us and one of the reasons was we didn't want to buy the first year. We typically don't do that with any vehicles. We did order a Roadtrek SS Agile (picking it up on Friday - yay!) we hope that we don't have issues. If we do we are hoping they are small and we can just go with the flow.

Big congratulations on your van and more importantly your attitude about the whole thing. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #163
Silver Member

Just completed an exchange of emails with a Blue Dog RV sales person about the paint options on the Aktiv. Apparently, full body paint will no longer be an option. The beautiful ads show an Aktiv with full body paint as does one of the most recent posts http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post55269. Doing a search, one will find Aktiv's at LaMesa, BlueDog and others but all with the black plastic fenders and bumpers.

Unfortunately, it appears that unpainted bumpers and fenders will now be standard. Seems to be a trend toward the cheapening of the product line, even with the flagship Aktiv.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #164
BBQ
Platinum Member

Black on Black.

Looks ok to me.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #165
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Just completed an exchange of emails with a Blue Dog RV sales person about the paint options on the Aktiv. Apparently, full body paint will no longer be an option. The beautiful ads show an Aktiv with full body paint as does one of the most recent posts http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post55269. Doing a search, one will find Aktiv's at LaMesa, BlueDog and others but all with the black plastic fenders and bumpers.

Unfortunately, it appears that unpainted bumpers and fenders will now be standard. Seems to be a trend toward the cheapening of the product line, even with the flagship Aktiv.
Okay....

When Hymer was announced it was characterized as being a PREMIUM German brand. They spent a long time developing a website and brochure. Now, we are seeing a different direction taken where the Roadtreks get tons of options including full body paint and the latest Erwin Hymer products are looking less than PREMIUM.

Too bad the NA CEO does not give public interviews. I would love to know their plan for the brand as opposed to products just showing up at dealerships.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #166
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Okay....

When Hymer was announced it was characterized as being a PREMIUM German brand. They spent a long time developing a website and brochure. Now, we are seeing a different direction taken where the Roadtreks get tons of options including full body paint and the latest Erwin Hymer products are looking less than PREMIUM.

Too bad the NA CEO does not give public interviews. I would love to know their plan for the brand as opposed to products just showing up at dealerships.
I wonder if they have put a muzzle on Jim Hammil, as we haven't heard much from, or about, him lately.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #167
Platinum Member

The acquisition is still fairly fresh. In any acquisition the new owners don't get to see how the sausage is made until they visit the factory, check the books, and determine actual per unit profit versus booked profit.

Wonder what the warranty costs are on Roadtreks? If the condition of the ACTIV in this thread is an example of what leaves the NA factory, anyone should be concerned. This was not clearly RV show damage but manufacture, and QA issues. It is not as if Hymer NA has been rolling ACTIVs off the floor at breakneck pace.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #168
Platinum Member

Quote:

Personally I find this GREAT news. IMHO painting "bumpers" is the most ridiculous thing ever created by our automotive industry. Easy to damage... difficult and expensive to replace. (and they never match!!) Promaster made a good decision to provide bumpers that are easily and more cost effective to replace... in sections!!

I find it a great decision and would have chosen it if it were an option. I was thrilled to see that the newer Activs were showing up with these unpainted bumpers and I actually like the look. It certainly helps to make it more stealthy.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #169
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Personally I find this GREAT news. IMHO painting "bumpers" is the most ridiculous thing ever created by our automotive industry. Easy to damage... difficult and expensive to replace. (and they never match!!) Promaster made a good decision to provide bumpers that are easily and more cost effective to replace... in sections!!

I find it a great decision and would have chosen it if it were an option. I was thrilled to see that the newer Activs were showing up with these unpainted bumpers and I actually like the look. It certainly helps to make it more stealthy.
I might agree totally if the price had been reduced $2K also, but it wasn't.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #170
Platinum Member

I like the unpainted bumpers on the Dodges and the Sprinters. The Sprinters look too blingy (especially in white and some other colors) with everything all monochrome. Also as mentioned they do scratch, etc.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #171
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
The acquisition is still fairly fresh. In any acquisition the new owners don't get to see how the sausage is made until they visit the factory, check the books, and determine actual per unit profit versus booked profit.
That's called due diligence, and it's done before a purchase/acquisition is finalized. Otherwise they could be stuck buying a lemon.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:37 PM   #172
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
That's called due diligence, and it's done before a purchase/acquisition is finalized. Otherwise they could be stuck buying a lemon.
Yep, if they don't know all that stuff and a whole lot more they certainly did not handle the acquisition properly. Due diligence is a huge job, and costs a lot to do, but it is better than getting stuck with a loser deal.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:56 PM   #173
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Yep, if they don't know all that stuff and a whole lot more they certainly did not handle the acquisition properly. Due diligence is a huge job, and costs a lot to do, but it is better than getting stuck with a loser deal.
Agreed with both. That is all due diligence work they should have covered before they bought the company unless they didn't care because they:

- Planned to just rip it apart and sell of the pieces
- Bought the brand and will basically clean house and replace with Hymer people and processes

Given the press releases and some of the combinations of products (e.g. underhood, etrek, Warranty same on Hymer and RT) it seems like they want to keep the operations and people but hopefully improve quality. Time will tell.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:31 PM   #174
Platinum Member

I've been through several mergers and due diligence exercises but they can be challenging. Remember that Hymer tried several options to enter the NA market but realized they may not understand the market and customer wants.

I suspect Hymer got nervous and did not want to go it alone and the investor group holding the Roadtrek asset wanting to divest and move on. In the scheme of things, Hymer probably got Roadtrek a good price because the investors were wanting to move on and for a company as large as Hymer, the purchase price and liabilities probably were seen as a long term NA investment.

New Hymer Group & New Mega Factory

MONDO ETRUSCO | Etrusco
Old 03-22-2017, 11:39 PM   #175
Platinum Member

Quote:
I might agree totally if the price had been reduced $2K also, but it wasn't.
Considering how few Activs are out there... and how many selling prices are part of anyone's personal knowledge... I would say that you or no one but Hymer knows how that piece of the pie affected price... either MSRP or out the door price.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:48 AM   #176
Silver Member

IMHO an unpainted bumper is far better than a painted bumper for boondocking, wear/tear and replacement, and overall paint color match/aging. The bumper painting is an aftermarket, all OEM Promasters ship with unpainted. We had actually asked for unpainted on our build so were happy to see the change. We also have our Aktiv being built without the stripe and logo. We ordered a dark grey rig so the bumper doesn't pop as much as against the silver rigs.

We had several options to get a Winnebago Travato 59g for a few $k less than our non-lithium battery Aktiv, but we much prefer the Aktiv layout, compressor vs condenser fridge and cassette toilet. The Aktiv also comes with a spare tire and more solar.

As an early adopter - first two Nissan Xterras then a Subaru Crosstrek - we've learned that getting through the early release "bumps" is part of the deal. Being prepared and knowing more than the sales and service teams has always been key.

Our delivery date is currently mid-April, so I'm rereading the Aktiv owner manual as well as the individual component manuals to make sure the delivery inspection goes well. Once through on the Promaster chassis is enough for now ... that thing was tedious.

When ours comes, I'll update my thread with our experience. Thanks Navanod for sharing your experience, have a great road-trip.
4DMTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:53 PM   #177
Silver Member

This was crafted as a reply to Techfan but perhaps others may find it useful too.

I will be taking possession of the Aktiv in mid-April. I bought it after a visit to Blue Dog RV in Gresham/Portland in mid-November. The original delivery date was forecasted for early February, but all along I knew it would probably not be guaranteed. Hymer has kept me updated all along the way.

It is my understanding from Hymer that I am receiving one of the first 100 units to be delivered. If you look at this as the early release of a new product, you have to be prepared for delays. It is my understanding that it is a 6-8 week order to manufacture to delivery time.

I almost bought a Travato twice, but the Aktiv layout works better for me. You can see some of my thoughts and options in this thread on the forum.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f7...time-6001.html

The Aktiv had a number of items that were on my wish list: large fresh water tank, small compressor refrigerator (think marine/boat style), cassette toilet that can be legally emptied into USFS pit toilets, small shower/bathroom, high/large bed, skylight, and more storage.

While I would have liked the lithium option, with the Voltstart, I felt it was outside my financial and techology comfort zone. I spend a LOT of time in remote areas where I would not be able to get a new lithium battery if I screwed something up. If faced with a return to home or $300 AGM battery purchase or warranty through an Interstate location, I want the option to buy a battery.

When I did the math on an Aktiv equipped with solar and AGM battery (non-lithium battery option and no Voltstart) the negotiated price I had was only $4k more than the Travato AND I got a spare tire which can be $750 for a rim/tire combo. So about $3200-3500 different to get what I really wanted.

Hope this helps you. If you are serious about an Aktiv, I would strongly suggest the drive to Redmond. It is worth the trip IMHO for this kind of purchase.

If you have a fixed delivery date you want something, I found that to be a problem ... nothing is firm unless the rig is there in front of you and you take it as is. Driving to find a ClassB has been a common thread for many people.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:19 AM   #178
Platinum Member

Thanks for sharing your perspective on the Activ. Must you be plugged into a campsite to run the roof A/C? The 2017 1/2 Travato added some nice new features. How do you plan to use it?
Old 03-25-2017, 01:41 AM   #179
Silver Member

Air conditioning was honestly not on my radar as an option I would want, as I often move up altitude or to the coast to stay cooler. It is my understanding that YES you must connect to shore power to run the air-conditioner. Lithium batteries would have given me about three hours of AC before needing to be recharged with the engine.

I'm going to use it as a basecamp on 3-4 day hiking and biking trips throughout the northwest the first few years with an increasing number of boondocking trips the closer I get to retirement. Once retired it will be our basecamp for travel and boondocking on some land we plan to have a small home built on.

If it handles well enough, I'll be selling my Subaru later this summer and driving the Aktiv the short 6-7 miles to/from work three days a week.

I agree the Travato 2017 1/2 has nice improvements. I really like the new reactive awning system, how they have a sealed bathroom, and non-leather seating. However, the water tank/seat in the doorway, blackwater tank and condenser refrigerator were deal stoppers for me. I'm sure I'll have to get some aftermarket insulation/heating work done on the lines if I plan to do snow camping next year. The Travato has that as a factory option already.

The Aktiv was the closest to the custom plan we had drawn up for a local outfitter to bid to build for me. And, even with the delays it is ready this summer rather than next summer. Slots for local outfitter(s) to start work on a custom rig is currently 16 months. I have no desire to build my own.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:13 AM   #180
Silver Member

Default 2017 Aktiv Owner's Manual

They posted an owner's manual which is basic, but is a good starting point.

http://www.gohymer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/2017-Aktiv-Manual-1.pdf