Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 03:44 AM   #21
van

Default Re: HymerCar USA

I wonder why Westfalia won't sell just the Columbus upfitting kit in North America. The Chicken Tax makes selling a finished product impossible. But the kit would be great.
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I think my point was that supposedly we are the cavemen. I personally like the vans we have here and do not suffer from European envy. I do enjoy the YouTube videos however and certain systems like the Truma that are being slowly introduced. Oddly enough by the most caveman of all companies , Winnebago ( if you listen to some on the forums).
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #23
Platinum Member

One reason why I have been looking at a custom Transit upfit is because slowly, the European pieces and parts are making their way here, and with simple things, such as rain guards for the tops of windows (so I can crack open a drivers/passenger side window), one can do some interesting things that are not common over here on this side of the pond.

Take the windows for example. Yes, they are plastic... but those European windows open completely, are double-paned (with an inert gas between the Lexan pieces), and tend to work well, if one doesn't have a heavy hand with the knobs. It may not be as sleek as sliding windows... but more usable, especially in rain. They also give better sound insulation.

Or the transverse beds. The ProMaster is wide enough to sleep width-wise, so this is something that would be nice to see on more rigs, as done right (like with the Safari Condo), or just having the bed placed on a drop-down bed system, a lot of storage can be had.

There are some things Europeans do which won't translate over here. Europeans have a different term for "awning", which also covers add-a-room tents. They use those a lot more than we do.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:52 PM   #24

If baby boomers have a say in what's cool and functional, pop-tops are 'IN', for the grandkids! I am not climbing a latter. Back in the day, westfalia had shortcomings. The the newer vans have addressed these issues. So who can we trust for a trouble free unit?
Jackvicnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #25

I prefer the plastic windows for insulation for sound and weather. No comparison to dual pane glass which lets in the noise, dust, cold, heat and rain. Then the foam rubber pieces move become unsightly and panes won't slide properly.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:21 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Here is a review of a Hymer Sierra Nevada.
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:18 AM   #27
Platinum Member

RH drive with the side door on the driver's side. Don't recall seeing one like that before.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:17 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovanman
Here is a review of a Hymer Sierra Nevada.

What a terrific van! Love all the storage and what looks to be a spacious bed. Also, that table up front (with it's folding mechanism) is a cool piece. Folding sink is really the way to go.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:25 AM   #29
Platinum Member

I like the automotive passenger seats and bed mattress that looks like a real mattress, not just a covered piece of foam.
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:21 AM   #30

Both Hymer Grand Canyon and Sierra Nevada have added ease of making up a bed with exposure on opposite sides. Plenty of cross ventilation for the sticky weather. Hymer seems to care and utilize all the voids for extra little nook and cranny spots for glasses, flashlights and the like.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #31
Platinum Member

A cool looking van for sure. Love the two armrests on each seat, wish more vans had these. Still not sure of the bed width though.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #32
Bronze Member

Great floor plan. Does anyone know if hymer is going forward in selling to North American market?
rclemins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #33

Yes. I am most interested.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:25 AM   #34
Platinum Member

The Europeans are better at wide-angle lens photography.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #35
van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
They're apparently better at engineering and designing vehicles that can be converted into RVs too. Since the Sprinter, Ducato (ProMaster), and Transit are all of European origin.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:19 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by van
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
They're apparently better at engineering and designing vehicles that can be converted into RVs too. Since the Sprinter, Ducato (ProMaster), and Transit are all of European origin.
I don't know if better is the proper terminology. It is more like that is just the way the markets evolved and there are so few companies making decisions based more on market than technology. If not, are we to assume Europeans suck at making big pickup trucks that can haul and tow?

I do have to agree the European van approach has won out on our side of the pond. If Chevy is sticking to their old van style it is probably because marketing says they can still fill the void of the market wanting to hold out for that American Van style. Ford has moved on. Chrysler was caught up a long time ago with being bought out by European companies.

But back to wide angle photography. All those shots make skinny vans look wider than long.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:20 AM   #37
van

" If not, are we to assume Europeans suck at making big pickup trucks that can haul and tow?" -- Davydd

Except that big pickups like the F-150 hardly have any payload at all. You can't even put a truck camper on them unless it's a pop-up. All Faux. No Show. You have to step up to a F-350 instead. Even then, a Promaster 3500 is cheaper and better. I checked the Chevy site to get a laugh at their van line-up. They don't even list the MPG! Why would they with a 6L V-8, right?

Oh, sorry, wide angles. Back on topic. All these RV outfits are masters of the wide angle lens.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Does any Van or truck list MPG? They aren't required to test and publish by law and all published data coming from RV converters are estimates usually of optimistic hearsay.

In my 10 years of Sprinter Class B ownership I've been told many times by Chevy Roadtrek owners to blow it out my ear. So, it really gets down to opinion whether European vans are better.

The reality is I am at the B12 rally and the majority of Class Bs are Sprinters and Wincrasher's new Promaster Travato. My first was the B4 Rally and there were about 5 out of 50 that were Sprinters. If the B Rally is reprentative then the market has spoken.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:28 PM   #39
Platinum Member

The market may be speaking Promaster and Transit in a few years. I live in SoCal and play a lot of music in the Palm Springs area. On my drives out there I notice more Chevy based class b vans out and about but keep my eyes peeled for all rigs. Maybe you Sprinter guys just like hanging out together more. I have a question. Are the people at the rally mostly retired because people who still work may not want to take up vacation time at rallies?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:15 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
The market may be speaking Promaster and Transit in a few years. I live in SoCal and play a oot of music in the Palm Springs area. On my drives out there I notice more Chevy based class b vans out and about but keep my eyes peeled for all rigs. Maybe you Sprinter guys just like hanging out together more. I have a question. Are tge people at the rally mostly retired because people who still work may not want to take up vacation time at rallies?
Maybe all the Chevy, Ford, Dodge folks are B-ing social with nature somewhere

We also see a lot more non Sprinters in our travels. When about all the manufacturers build are on Sprinters, that is likely about all you are going to see in newer rigs, and I think the socials probably attract more newer ones. When a Roadtrek Chevy 190 (only Chevy left?) costs $105K+ it is no wonder no one will buy them except diehards.

I also thing that we will see the Promaster take the lower cost end of the market, and Transit the middle for the most part, leaving MB with the high end.

What will be interesting is if any of the US manufacturers wind up doing redesigns, either semi-major modifications, or a start from scratch, based on what they learn from the Promaster and Transit once they are out a while. US tastes are different than the rest of the world, especially when you are dealing with a lot of folks in the trades. That may be why Chevy is waiting, plus they are making a killing as the only US style, body on frame, van left around. All profit for them.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote