RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-17-2015, 05:09 AM   #41
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 973
Default Re: HymerCar USA

I feel the same way about half-tons. All go, all "tough" looking, but good luck dropping a truck camper on one. A modern one is more of a luxury car with a truck bed. Yes, if configured right, they can pull a camper, but that is pretty much all they are designed to do. Damage from a fifth wheel hitch will kill the warranty.

And I learned that half-ton mistake the hard way. I like my F-150 as an everyday runabout vehicle... but were I to do it over again, I'd go with a shortbed, extended-cab F-350 which has the capability to handle more than just tugging a trailer around.

As for vans, I see "officially" converted Chevies, but there are a lot of home-brew campervans on the Econoline chassis, mainly because Ford vans are bought as used fleet vehicles, then someone tosses in a bed, then some storage, and goes from there. GM vans tend to be class "B"s from being bought new.

When I'm backstage at the renaissance faire, I also see a lot of DIY Econolines, and a few Express models. No Sprinters to be seen, even T1N models.

Here in my neck of the woods, class "B"s are relatively rare. People tend towards truck campers, fifth wheels, and TTs.

For "plain" vans, strangely enough, I'm starting to see more ProMasters that are new, with Sprinters, and the occasional Transit. The most notable ProMaster was one where someone sprayed it with white, bumpy Rhino Lining on the entire exterior.

GM tends to either be evolutionary or do a lot of "badge engineering" (i.e. rebrand other makes). Please correct me here if wrong, but the V8s they have now are not that different from the 350s and 454s that were moving Suburbans in the '1990s. The costs for making the Express have long since been amortized, and if GM wants into the relatively narrow van segment, they will rebrand something.

If/when Hyundai or Kia hit the market, I would not be surprised to see the same exact van sold under the GM name.
__________________

mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #42
van
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 16
Default Re: HymerCar USA

Here's my favorite tough Ford truck vid. A Ford Raptor, the toughest of the tough at $60k, self-destructing after attempting a rally car maneuver:

Build Ford tough! Don Draper couldn't have written it any better.

“Modern trucks have become so hell-bent on out-muscling each other that they've sacrificed the usability required to get sh** done. I worked for a contractor for four years during college, and the guys on the job site fell into three camps: There were the general laborers, like me, who showed up on the site in anything with wheels. In the middle were guys with polished, clean trucks. They could haul material from the building supply chain, stuff tools in locking aluminum boxes, and pay the 10-mile-per-gallon gas bill."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture ... n-dweller/
__________________

van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #43
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 143
Default Re: HymerCar USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
I feel the same way about half-tons. All go, all "tough" looking, but good luck dropping a truck camper on one. A modern one is more of a luxury car with a truck bed. Yes, if configured right, they can pull a camper, but that is pretty much all they are designed to do. Damage from a fifth wheel hitch will kill the warranty.

And I learned that half-ton mistake the hard way. I like my F-150 as an everyday runabout vehicle... but were I to do it over again, I'd go with a shortbed, extended-cab F-350 which has the capability to handle more than just tugging a trailer around.

As for vans, I see "officially" converted Chevies, but there are a lot of home-brew campervans on the Econoline chassis, mainly because Ford vans are bought as used fleet vehicles, then someone tosses in a bed, then some storage, and goes from there. GM vans tend to be class "B"s from being bought new.

When I'm backstage at the renaissance faire, I also see a lot of DIY Econolines, and a few Express models. No Sprinters to be seen, even T1N models.

Here in my neck of the woods, class "B"s are relatively rare. People tend towards truck campers, fifth wheels, and TTs.

For "plain" vans, strangely enough, I'm starting to see more ProMasters that are new, with Sprinters, and the occasional Transit. The most notable ProMaster was one where someone sprayed it with white, bumpy Rhino Lining on the entire exterior.

GM tends to either be evolutionary or do a lot of "badge engineering" (i.e. rebrand other makes). Please correct me here if wrong, but the V8s they have now are not that different from the 350s and 454s that were moving Suburbans in the '1990s. The costs for making the Express have long since been amortized, and if GM wants into the relatively narrow van segment, they will rebrand something.

If/when Hyundai or Kia hit the market, I would not be surprised to see the same exact van sold under the GM name.
The Global Pickups with their vastly better payload numbers, can handle much heavier loads than a F150http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNj...UgqhA/$_80.JPG
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #44
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 143
Default Re: HymerCar USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by van
" If not, are we to assume Europeans suck at making big pickup trucks that can haul and tow?" -- Davydd

Except that big pickups like the F-150 hardly have any payload at all. You can't even put a truck camper on them unless it's a pop-up. All Faux. No Show. You have to step up to a F-350 instead. Even then, a Promaster 3500 is cheaper and better. I checked the Chevy site to get a laugh at their van line-up. They don't even list the MPG! Why would they with a 6L V-8, right?

Oh, sorry, wide angles. Back on topic. All these RV outfits are masters of the wide angle lens.
This will leave scratching your head an IVECO Daily 3 litre Cab Chassis Van towing a 33ft Cardinal 5th wheeler through the Australian Desert, the 5ver, has had its suspension considerably strenthened to do this.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7105/7...72815bcb_z.jpg
Europeans use these are lot ,but when towing and hauling becomes much greater, they go as the English call them to "Lorries" than eventually get up to 700hp + Monster Diesels. Scania, Volvo and Mercedes and now IVECO have these beasts. Volvo has the current bragging rights with a 750hp, 2,500lb ft of torque "Lorry" IVECO has developed a 16 litre 775hp model it has yet to drop into a Truck
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #45
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas City, Ks. Suburb
Posts: 885
Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay
Default Re: HymerCar USA

The market has already spoken. Ford is building their 100,000 new Transit in Kansas City this week sometime. They are really putting them out now by working lots of overtime, and have finally gotten their supplier situation mostly squared away.
Ford's excellent fleet marketing sure contributed to this....
__________________
Bob & Sharon
2019 Winnebago Travato K (2018 Chassis)

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #46
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 143
Default Re: HymerCar USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
The market has already spoken. Ford is building their 100,000 new Transit in Kansas City this week sometime. They are really putting them out now by working lots of overtime, and have finally gotten their supplier situation mostly squared away.
Ford's excellent fleet marketing sure contributed to this....
I know many in the U.S.had second thoughts about the Euro Transit replacing the ancient Econoline, but I guess those fears have receded
Problem is going to arise when Ford replaces, the E350/E450 Motorhome bases,
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #47
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,165
Default Re: HymerCar USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
The market has already spoken. Ford is building their 100,000 new Transit in Kansas City this week sometime. They are really putting them out now by working lots of overtime, and have finally gotten their supplier situation mostly squared away.
Ford's excellent fleet marketing sure contributed to this....
I know many in the U.S.had second thoughts about the Euro Transit replacing the ancient Econoline, but I guess those fears have receded
Problem is going to arise when Ford replaces, the E350/E450 Motorhome bases,
The trades guys I know, who are probably split 55% Ford, 35% Chevy, 10% other, would prefer the Econoline and are now saying they will get a Chevy, for the most part. That group tends to be very big made and designed in US, so not surprising. If the Chevy goes away, there is no question where they will go, though, and that is with the Transit. They want the horsepower of the Ecoboost, they want gas engine, They want rear drive, they want to be able to tow a Bobcat, heavy manlift, etc.

I think the European heavier chassis that are cutways are body on frame? If so, the 350/450 chassis will probably survive, but I would expect an ECOboost V8 to replace the V10 in the gas versions.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:22 PM   #48
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 143
Default Re: HymerCar USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
think the European heavier chassis that are cutways are body on frame? If so, the 350/450 chassis will probably survive, but I would expect an ECOboost V8 to replace the V10 in the gas versions.
Yes it is Body on Frame, it has a 15,500lb GVWR, 23,000lb GCVWR in its 7OC version. The version showing pulling the Cardinal is the 65C
I would not expect the Ecoboost V8 to turn up as at those sort of capacities, it is simply a turbocharged engine. All FE would simply disappear.the Ecoboost works well in the smaller 2-3litre engines, not comparable to the modern diesels for FE, but a lot better, than an equivalent 5-6 litre non turbo gas engines
IVECO 70c example of use as Motorhome base. Jayco Optimum, 28.5 ft, twin slide
http://assets.cougar.nineentertainme.../51/4852n2.jpg
The same Cab Chassis Vans are used to tow Boats
http://petervanleur.at/upload/cache/...274969414.jpeg
Also used as a Vehicle Transporter in Europe. Yes there are bigger Transporters, but fits the heavy Pickup niche that these do in the U.S.
http://heavycherry.com/imgs/a/c/u/t/...2006_2_lgw.jpg
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:08 AM   #49
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 973
Default Re: HymerCar USA

I have a feeling that Ford may go with all diesels for the T-450 and T-550 models. It would be nice for Ford to make an Ecoboost V-8 to replace the venerable V-10, but think Ford would just push everyone to turbo diesel engines as opposed to make a new gasser for that market.

Since Transit production is ramped up, this will be an interesting year, as RV upfitters start working on that.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:49 AM   #50
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 143
Default Re: HymerCar USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
I have a feeling that Ford may go with all diesels for the T-450 and T-550 models. It would be nice for Ford to make an Ecoboost V-8 to replace the venerable V-10, [but think Ford would just push everyone to turbo diesel engines as opposed to make a new gasser for that market.

Since Transit production is ramped up, this will be an interesting year, as RV upfitters start working on that.
Agree, that is where it is heading
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:09 AM   #51
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,092
Default Re: HymerCar USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
The market may be speaking Promaster and Transit in a few years. I live in SoCal and play a lot of music in the Palm Springs area. On my drives out there I notice more Chevy based class b vans out and about but keep my eyes peeled for all rigs. Maybe you Sprinter guys just like hanging out together more. I have a question. Are the people at the rally mostly retired because people who still work may not want to take up vacation time at rallies?
There are quite a few non-retirees and the rigs are not newer for the most part. Also quite a few are DIY. Check the attendee list for yourself.

http://www.b-rally.org
__________________
Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Previous Class Bs:
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #52
Platinum Member
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 2,611
Default Re: HymerCar USA

The rally was not all Sprinters. There were a few old Dodges, Fords, Chevys as well as my promaster as well as a new Lexor on the Promaster. The rest were Spinters - about half were the old model and half the newer extended length. There were several of the short wheelbase model without duals.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2019 Winnebago Travato GL
Follow my blog: https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassBCamperVans/
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:10 AM   #53
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6
Default Re: HymerCar USA

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 992&type=1
Hope you are able to view this path on Facebook: Kampervan . I just found some candid/regular photos of new HymerCar, mixed with stock photos. Enjoy!
Jackvicnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:53 AM   #54
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 116
Default

Is there anyone in the know who has information on Hymer-USA? Is it going to happen? the 2016 Travato 59G is the most enticing yet, but I would really love a Hymer.

When/where is the next big RV show that introduces new models?
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:58 AM   #55
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 19
Default

Had the same question, and just emailed Hymer USA (Spartan) and Hymer worldwide to find out. I haven't found anything that replicates the bike-friendly loft bed of the Hymer T Premium 50, or even HymerUSA's Grand Canyon: http://www.hymercar.com/en/models/mo...360%C2%B0.html.

It's barely visible, but that is an optional pop-top second bed.

The Dynamax 24RB seems closest in floor plan, but like it brings enough other tradeoffs.
troyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #56
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 19
Default

Update that the Safari Condo ProMaster FLEX is the most flexible (duh..) non-custom loft bed layout I've found: Ram - ProMaster FLEX

If one assumes that a buyer of either a HymerUSA Grand Canyon or a FLEX is bike-oriented, the Condo's height-adjustable bed probably tips the scales in favor of the FLEX. Safari seems to offer a cassette toilet as well.
troyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:08 AM   #57
Platinum Member
 
AlexJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyd View Post
Update that the Safari Condo ProMaster FLEX is the most flexible (duh..) non-custom loft bed layout I've found: Ram - ProMaster FLEX

If one assumes that a buyer of either a HymerUSA Grand Canyon or a FLEX is bike-oriented, the Condo's height-adjustable bed probably tips the scales in favor of the FLEX. Safari seems to offer a cassette toilet as well.
Agree. Have you seen the Safari Condo in person?
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 AM   #58
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
Agree. Have you seen the Safari Condo in person?
Nope. The videos look pretty nice and fairly modern (no floral prints!), but not as nice as, say, Hymer's Premium T (Semi-Integrated motorhomes - HYMER T Premium 50 - Gallery). OTOH even that doesn't have a retractable bed.

The closest US equivalent I've seen to Safari's Flex, and it was a DIY, is Finished Van Photos - stealthsprinter (bottom of page). No dedicated shower/bathroom, though, which makes any layout seem roomy.
troyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #59
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 425
Default It's awsome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
Agree. Have you seen the Safari Condo in person?
Bought the first unit that was produced. Canceled a Roadtrek BTO to buy this van! It's awsome. It has the best layout developped in Europe by Adria 15 years ago (kitchen on the "right" side) and the FLEX (truly comfortable bed) system makes it really versatile. I use all the time in the city to carry stuff and construction material. Nice and efficient contemporary interior design by Safari Condo with the front dinette area which is one of the best mobile cocktail lounge!

The complete album: XLFLEX_safaricondo.com - centrelab
On FB https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2388992&type=3

Our one year Campervan Bliss album CAMPERVAN BLISS - centrelab

.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (252.4 KB, 14 views)
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #60
Platinum Member
 
eric1514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ID AZ
Posts: 704
Default

I need that grill and badge.

Eric
__________________

__________________
2006 Dynamax Isata 250 Touring Sedan

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×