Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #321
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
My observation/belief over the last 30+ years (since the 80's....) is that exec's total compensation became too heavily incentive based. It drives them to be short-term focused than how to lead the company over the long run.

They know they only have a 5-7 year runway and can work only to maximize that period of time to get huge bonus' and stock incentives. I would rather give them a much larger salary that will drive their behavior to want to hang on to a job for an extended period of time and they will make better decisions for the business......just my opinion obviously.
I did not see much in the public record as to how the EHG NA CEO felt about the EHG acquisition over time and if he was under pressure to perform greater than in the past.

Also, EHG NA may have been a much different animal under Thor ownership. These sort of acquisitions are generally paid for from 'reducing overhead' wherever it can be found.

The deal is done, so what is the situation with EHG NA. An official update is surely needed for customers in NA at minimum.

CTV Kitchener
Published Friday, February 1, 2019 12:50PM EST
The deal to sell Erwin Hymer Group to American RV giant Thor Industries has finalized without local operations.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
But those techs that disagree with you are just liars.
I'm one of the I'm sure many who got the battery run around from Roadtrek. Thanks to Booster and others on this forum I rewired the batteries and changed the balancer into a convertor. No more issues. Of course my warranty is now void but since it takes months to get warranty done by La Mesa RV in West Sacramento I have given up on the warranty altogether. For whatever reason Roadtrek won't admit they made a mistake and actually fix the issues. I doubt this is because there technicians are incompetent but more likely because it hurts the bottom line.
sctucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #323
Site Team

Your warranty is not void. Against the law.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #324
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctucker View Post
I'm one of the I'm sure many who got the battery run around from Roadtrek. Thanks to Booster and others on this forum I rewired the batteries and changed the balancer into a convertor. No more issues. Of course my warranty is now void but since it takes months to get warranty done by La Mesa RV in West Sacramento I have given up on the warranty altogether. For whatever reason Roadtrek won't admit they made a mistake and actually fix the issues. I doubt this is because there technicians are incompetent but more likely because it hurts the bottom line.

Just for future reference, this would be for an 8AGM etrek that has a 24v system, thus the need for a converter.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #325
Platinum Member

"Your warranty is not void. Against the law."

If you mean the entire warranty is not void, then that is true. But if you mean the warranty covers his modifications and the consequences from those modifcations, that is plainly silly. There is no law that requires Roadtrek's warranty to cover work they didn't do and components they didn't install. Or to fix any damage they cause to components Roadtrek did install even if they are still under warranty. That may not have been your meaning, but it is not clear from what you said.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #326
Gold Member

Read the press release today Feb 1, and the new SEC doc, (both on Thors website) it's all Greek to me! Our friend rented a Hymer Aktiv for the weekend via Outdoorsy (sort of AirBnB for RV). We really like it, the owner has had it for 18 months, and gets 250 day renting it, but there is a price to pay with careless renters, I personally would not do that. Anyway, I would think now is the time to buy off the lot and lowball the dealers, most of them are not being up front about the situation, all pretending business as usual. It's not!!!! Called a dealer today at LaMesa, would not says whether or not orders being filled, also I would not want a unit build in 2019 (through Feb), lots of unhappy employees, low morale. One guy actually told me Jim Hammill on Medical Leave...give me a break
Glamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:10 PM   #327
Platinum Member

Quote:

If you mean the entire warranty is not void, then that is true. But if you mean the warranty covers his modifications and the consequences from those modifcations, that is plainly silly. There is no law that requires Roadtrek's warranty to cover work they didn't do and components they didn't install. Or to fix any damage they cause to components Roadtrek did install even if they are still under warranty. That may not have been your meaning, but it is not clear from what you said.

I don't specifically recall for this etrek, but Roadtrek was starting to deny warranty claims on the AGM batteries with 6 year warranty pretty regularly, it appeared, as we heard of several on this forum. As with most battery warranty denials, they would site "past abuse" so not covered. Several folks have modified their systems successfully, some by adding a balancer or like this case with a rewire and converter. IMO, the rewire and converter are probably the best way to go, as you would get a much more balanced system.

If you have had the warranty, you have nothing to lose by fixing the system to make it usable and reliable. Buying 8AGMs every couple of years would get pretty tiring and expensive.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:20 AM   #328
Platinum Member

Well, this didn’t go according to plan...

https://www.gohymer.com/acquisition-...or-industries/
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:32 AM   #329
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post

Don't bug me now, I'm feeling sick ...... Jim H.

Kiddin'

I really do hope. especially for the benefit of all that bought Roadtreks, especially for that great warranty, that things work out - and I still feel that one way or another they will.

I came very close to being a new RT owner last year myself, especially as we live near the factory, which I thought would be a big plus, and also I felt that warranty was a real safety net - but for the moment, who knows?

I went with a 2019 PW instead mainly coz my wife wasn't keen to downsize from or larger trailer to a smaller B so I had to make some concessions to keep the peace - but that was the main reason.

Obviously for the moment I am happy about that turn of events even though at the time it was aginst my better judgement!

But I do hope and think that all will sort itself out. Roadtrek is too respected a name / company for it to go down.

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:51 AM   #330
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post

Is Jim hiding in an undisclosed location? Normally the group that appears to be left behind loses hope and attacks the person they feel is to blame for all the mess.

I bet he is laying low (if that is possible)
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:52 AM   #331
Platinum Member

Jim Hammill was already out on sick leave or "sick leave" when the Fit hit the Shan as my father used to say. Whether he saw it coming is speculation. I have heard even wilder speculation on that situation from an employee, but not something that I would share. (they are even more creative than we are... LOL)

At this point the Thor sale is a done deal, but as yet the Hymer family hasn't put out anything as to what will happen to EHGNA. I suspect that they don't really know either. The audit was supposed to be completed today, so we will have to wait and see what happens on Monday.

Being a pessimist, I am assuming that my warranty is probably toast, but one of the reasons that I purchased a Simplicity is that I wanted a basic, easy to repair rig... AGMs, solar, Suburban heat and hot water... got the crazy fridge wiring fixed... only the dead underhood generator under recall that may catch me out. I love my new rig and have no regrets that I purchased it.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:04 AM   #332
Platinum Member

"One guy actually told me Jim Hammill on Medical Leave...give me a break"

Somewhere in all the rumors out there someone said that this is what Roadtrek employees have been told. There was also a rumor that he was sick at home when this all came down. Given the lack of any real information, why would you criticize someone for picking the rumor that suited them? Everyone else is.

Try to find some real evidence or even hard rumor that Jim Hammil has had anything to do with any of this. I think we all assume he did, but it isn't based on anything other than assumptions he must have been. Here is a direct quote from news reports: "The unnamed managers have been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation, according to the release." Where did Jim Hammil's name get attached to that and by who?
Old 02-02-2019, 02:20 AM   #333
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Jim Hammill was already out on sick leave or "sick leave" when the Fit hit the Shan as my father used to say. Whether he saw it coming is speculation. I have heard even wilder speculation on that situation from an employee, but not something that I would share. (they are even more creative than we are... LOL)

At this point the Thor sale is a done deal, but as yet the Hymer family hasn't put out anything as to what will happen to EHGNA. I suspect that they don't really know either. The audit was supposed to be completed today, so we will have to wait and see what happens on Monday.

Being a pessimist, I am assuming that my warranty is probably toast, but one of the reasons that I purchased a Simplicity is that I wanted a basic, easy to repair rig... AGMs, solar, Suburban heat and hot water... got the crazy fridge wiring fixed... only the dead underhood generator under recall that may catch me out. I love my new rig and have no regrets that I purchased it.
I think you are wise indeed in buying things as simple as possible. I went with a PW and didn't have the option!

I love it for now, and will continue as long as things work - but if/when they don't and unless there is a simple manual workaround - I'm thinking electric awning, electric sofa, spyder control panels, etc - then I will be cursing it!

Perhaps I will be happily surprised and that day will never come, but given the choice I would have preferred to go completely manual as much as possible and maybe even saved a few $

Heck, I'd be ok with wind-up windows on my car --- am I showing my age?!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:21 AM   #334
Platinum Member

Quote:
"One guy actually told me Jim Hammill on Medical Leave...give me a break"

Somewhere in all the rumors out there someone said that this is what Roadtrek employees have been told. There was also a rumor that he was sick at home when this all came down. Given the lack of any real information, why would you criticize someone for picking the rumor that suited them? Everyone else is.

Try to find some real evidence or even hard rumor that Jim Hammil has had anything to do with any of this. I think we all assume he did, but it isn't based on anything other than assumptions he must have been.
If Jim isn't directly implicated, he is still responsible for this happening on his watch. It's not unusual to have the head of the organization fall on his sword for this kind of thing. In my view, it couldn't happen to someone more deserving than him! Whatever the outcome, I believe he is not only done at EGHNA, he will have extreme difficulty finding another job in the RV industry, unless he has enough money (or can con someone into lending) to start his own.

As far as sick leave, the point is pretty irrelevant. He could very well have been out with the flu, or something else, or he could have been trying to be out while the audit went on. It really has no bearing on anything.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:34 AM   #335
Platinum Member

"If Jim isn't directly implicated, he is still responsible for this happening on his watch."

I agree. But the notion that he is directly involved is being treated not just as possible or even likely, but as established fact. Its not. Its an example of how far from grounding in reality this discussion has strayed.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:41 AM   #336
Platinum Member

Quote:
"If Jim isn't directly implicated, he is still responsible for this happening on his watch."

I agree. But the notion that he is directly involved is being treated not just as possible or even likely, but as established fact. Its not. Its an example of how far from grounding in reality this discussion has strayed.
Was he not suspended with the others?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:03 AM   #337
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Was he not suspended with the others?
Probably, but they never named any of the people suspended. The only time I recall Hammill being identified by name was Mike Wedlund saying he had been "sacked" or was "gone". And he didn't give a source. If Hymer is telling employees he is on medical leave, then there is nothing I can find that really contradicts that.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:10 AM   #338

Hammill was either directly involved in the mess or knew exactly what was going on. If he didn't then he was one of the most out of touch executives in history. I mean $70 - $100 M, come on. Indictments will be coming. Count on it.
slim4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:32 AM   #339
Site Team

Quote:

Huh?
NONE of your warranty is "voided". Obviously, your mods and their consequences aren't covered. But hey never were. Everything that was ever covered still is. Nothing is "voided". Ever.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:46 AM   #340
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I don't specifically recall for this etrek, but Roadtrek was starting to deny warranty claims on the AGM batteries with 6 year warranty pretty regularly, it appeared, as we heard of several on this forum. As with most battery warranty denials, they would site "past abuse" so not covered. Several folks have modified their systems successfully, some by adding a balancer or like this case with a rewire and converter. IMO, the rewire and converter are probably the best way to go, as you would get a much more balanced system.

If you have had the warranty, you have nothing to lose by fixing the system to make it usable and reliable. Buying 8AGMs every couple of years would get pretty tiring and expensive.
Citing "past abuse" isn't good enough. The law places the burden of proof on the warrantor, meaning that they have to prove not just that such abuse occurred, but that that abuse actually caused the specific damage. This is not easy.

They can and will wave their hands and hope you will go away. But a nastygram from a spec lawyer will change their attitude, since the law also provides for the recovery of legal fees.