Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Less than primo components?

When I was collecting the parts to do the charging system upgrade in out Roadtrek, I needed some toggle switches for various controls. I went on Amazon and found the SPST, DPDT, switches in the various amp ratings the I would need for different areas. I bought middle of the line stuff, not the low or high end, that were in the $6 each range, except the the 50 amp one that was more.

I got them out today, to start working on the panel for mounting them, and was amazed that none of them had any ratings marked on them. They also had no manufacturer name, or part numbers. Only one had a country of origin on it (Taiwan). There is no way to confirm voltage amperage, etc for these, or if there was a liability issue, who made them. Since there are no UL, CSA, or CE ratings on them either, any specs would also be suspect anyway.

I decided to just accept the delay and cost and order new ones. This time I went with Cole Hersee heavy duty toggles, which appear to be the standard in over the road trucks. They are supposed to be very good for switching higher load applications. We will see. They are in the $12-15 range each.

I do think I will be a lot more careful, and less cheap, in ordering components that could cause hazards like fires, in the future. More name brands with published specs by part number. This looks like they could pawn off pretty much any quality level, with little or no recourse possible.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Less than primo components?

I hear what your saying Booster! It seems that many, many items are like that. It is things for your house, your boat and just about any part you want to replace for anything! Maybe its for liability or maybe to keep prices down by not printing name or specs on them. Who knows.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote