Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2024, 04:16 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobafanzi View Post
1) Why did you purchase your specific class B? ie: What needs did it satisfy?
2) What do you like most about your B?
3) What do you like the least about your B?
GO!
2016 Winnebago Travato

1) RAM Chassis: FWD, sharp turning radius, light peppy feel, handling, Lowest roof, perfect length, widest body, lowest price, I like the look.
Travato: Winnebago brand, cozy back bed, big "permanent" garage, "permanent" dinette, spacious bath, has EVERYTHING included, best value.

2) See above: Chassis, Garage, Dinette

3) ... hmmm... It now has 140,000 miles and I don't like the new ones..
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 04:49 PM   #22
Platinum Member

DIY on Promaster 136” WB, 17’9” long.

Fits even in compact car slots, turning radius approaching that of our Corolla, so maneuverability on steroids.

Interior exactly as I want it, because I designed and built it. Longest trip so far—4months—proved that I could happily live full time in it if I needed to. I have everything I need, everything is easily accessible, yet there is room for two to walk around and nothing feels closed in. Rainy days are actually delightful.

If this one were totalled, I would try to re-create it as closely as possible.

Approaching 237,000 miles since we put it on the road in August, 2015. Definitely not a yard ornament.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 11:15 PM   #23

2018 Coachmen Galleria 24 (Sprinter)
1. additional space, interior finishes, amenities
2. fuel economy
3. fiberglass rocker panel - very vulnerable to road rash on unpaved roads.
MiddKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:18 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Those were the three questions of the original post.

1. We custom ordered our Roadtrek 210 P in September 2006 and it is a 2007 model.
We wanted to replace our 1996 Dodge RT 190P. The 210P met several of our needs and reflected our desire to boondock, explore national forests and parks and generally seldom stay in a commercial campground. Therefore, we wanted a B with large tanks and lots of storage. We also would only consider a B that was under nine feet tall so it would fit in our home garage which has a nine foot door and is HVAC controlled.

Our 210 has 30 gallon fresh, 23 gallon gray and 10 gallon black capacities which are larger than many Bs. We ordered the twin bed model which allowed significantly more storage from the back van doors. All together, we have 74 cubic feet of indoor and outdoor storage plus an additional 6 cubic feet from the armoire I built to replace the third seat. This rig is great for two people and a pet.

The twin beds allow easy entry and exit by either person without the other one having shift or get up. The arrangement also provides operable windows beside each twin bed and a full view out the back windows which gives a very open feeling and wonderful ventilation.

We ordered the rig with the larger 5 foot (later standard) three way refrig which, like the tanks, provides a lot of food for many days for two people.

We spent a lot of time examing different Bs before purchase and found the Roadtreks back then to be (along with the Pleasure Ways and a couple of others) to be of much higher quality as to fit, finish and engineering compared to some Bs we examinded.

Finally, we wanted a chassis that could be serviced anywhere. The Chevy 30 Express with the 6L engine provided just that should and when needs arise.

Second Question: What do you like most about your B?

The quality and layout. We can shower daily, live comfortably in the 210 space and not feel anymore crowded than in a small C. The storage is seldom matched by other Bs. The Chevy drives very well and we have not modified the chassis in any manner. Importantly, it fits in our garage and therefore is like new in appearance and condition after all these years.

Third Question: What do you like the least about your B?

This thing is designed extremely well but the fact that it is so compact, like all true Bs, makes working on the RV stuff much more difficult than on a small C (we have owned three of those over the decades). Getting under the Roadtrek to fix something is a real pain and I have built 2x10 risers to lift it several inches, but it is still a difficult task to do and not compromise your personal safety. That, however, is mostly the nature of all Bs but Roadtreks of this vintage are especially difficult.

How well do we like our Roadtrek and how well it meets our personal needs? Well, we sold it to a lady five hundred miles away several years ago and we bought a small C. A couple of years later, she wanted to sell it for something a bit bigger and we bought it back from her! That is how well it fits our particular needs.

ADVICE: Figgure out what you need and most importantly how will you use your B? Will you always stay in campgrounds where there are facilities? Will you travel locally or all over the country? Where will you have it serviced (MBs especially IMO)? Where will you store it? Define the adventures you seek, carefully think about how many will be using it and the difficulties of the small spaces. Realize that nothing is perfect and everything is a compromise in any RV and especially in a B.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:52 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Getting under the Roadtrek to fix something is a real pain and I have built 2x10 risers to lift it several inches, but it is still a difficult task to do and not compromise your personal safety. That, however, is mostly the nature of all Bs but Roadtreks of this vintage are especially difficult.

I had the same clearance issue with our class B. I bought these ramps that provide a 6.5" lift.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RhinoGear...ctedSellerId=0
Old 03-01-2024, 12:47 AM   #26
Bronze Member

Why did you purchase your specific class B? ie:
1) What needs did it satisfy? 21 feet, easy to park, still have 110 sq feet of floor space.
2) What do you like most about your B? Can park also many where. Stock Promaster, 9 speed trans, good gas miles. Front wheel drive, turning rad.
3) What do you like the least about your B? Small cargo space, but prize for above, but can add rear storage if need.
Dave-DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 03:39 PM   #27

We purchased a 2011 Pleasureway excel.

It has a bathroom.
It has a bathroom.
Its a really small bathroom.

All kidding aside, we did not buy this to be a camper. We bought it to be a second car for day trips, shopping, Dr. appointments, etc. Current medical needs requires having convenient facilities available. The van serves us very well in this capacity.
We have spent a night or two in it, but for longer stays we have Entegra class c.
FormerBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:38 PM   #28
Platinum Member

After owning one of the original Class B campervans for years (1989 VW Westy Popup), we decided in retirement to upgrade and in 2016 found a hardly-used 2010 LTV Free Spirit (on 2008 Sprinter.) It satisfied our needs for more comfort and convenience.
The comforts and conveniences, including bathroom with a window. 20 mpg. LTV quality. Open floorplan.
The tradeoff is less ground clearance, so we don't travel marginal dirt roads much anymore. But that's OK, since we've been there, done that.