Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2022, 11:43 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default looking to replace kitchen faucet

I'd like to replace kitchen faucet in my 97PW with one that has a single mix lever. I've gotten tired of juggling hot/cold when washing.

I'm thinking that a bar sink faucet might be sized right for the RV. They go from $40-700! Prefer the lower end of the spectrum.

Oh, I'd like to also replace the cheap plastic faucet in the bath with a single handle as well.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

thx.glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 12:20 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I just installed this one about 2 months ago. Pull out spout, single hole(what we have) but a plate is included to cover the holes, though sized for an 8 inch spread. It works wonderfully. Full flow, spray and shut off on the nozzle.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon shows only one left. It has gone down about $5 in price to only $39 since I bought it.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 12:44 AM   #3
Site Team

Here's what we picked for our new van:

Kitchen:
https://www.amazon.com/Dura-Faucet-D.../dp/B00TPUN81Y

Bath:
https://www.amazon.com/Dura-Faucet-D...077MRDB5N?th=1

And for completeness...
Shower head:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082BFY45T

Shower control:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HC73LVK
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 01:33 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks for your responses.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:21 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I just installed this one about 2 months ago. Pull out spout, single hole(what we have) but a plate is included to cover the holes, though sized for an 8 inch spread. It works wonderfully. Full flow, spray and shut off on the nozzle.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon shows only one left. It has gone down about $5 in price to only $39 since I bought it.
That's a very versatile faucet that can do just about everything. I have a similar one in my van.

For my shower I have a pull-out cord hand held with a trigger so I can do short burst of water. I don't have a photo of it but can take one. There are about 400 pages on Amazon and I don't have to brand name.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 01:45 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have no idea how true or false the story is, but when we were looking at faucets to replace the low one in our 07 Roadtrek kitchen I asked several RV repair guys that I ran across about the pull out versions and they pretty much all said they didn't like the pullouts because the hose loop moved around too much and would rub on stuff until they leaked or damaged something if they were the stainless braid cover.

We wound up getting an old school Delta ball single handle bar faucet just as they were being discontinued and switched to ceramic, where the handle is not on spout like most are. That took up two of the three holes in the countertop, so we had room for a built in pump soap dispenser like we use at home and like the built in feature. We fill it with dish soap which is good for hands or dishes and works well. All three holes filled without an addon plate and soap dispenser so all we needed and easy. The old Delta ball faucets last nearly forever with far between seal changes. The new Delta ceramic disc ones last a year or two and need a new cartridge.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:30 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I have had the pull out in our vans for 8 years now and a pull out on our home kitchen faucet for 5 years. Never had that problem. In reality you don't use it that way but seldom but when you do it is versatile. I never filled a container the way it is illustrated on Amazon but we wash down the sink with it and pull it out just enough to do so and it doesn't rub. The toggle at the head saves water. Like our shower head, you can do short burst of water. We use it that way more at home.

Same with our shower. 8 years use (or 6 and 2 years) and no leak or damage.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:58 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I have had the pull out in our vans for 8 years now and a pull out on our home kitchen faucet for 5 years. Never had that problem. In reality you don't use it that way but seldom but when you do it is versatile. I never filled a container the way it is illustrated on Amazon but we wash down the sink with it and pull it out just enough to do so and it doesn't rub. The toggle at the head saves water. Like our shower head, you can do short burst of water. We use it that way more at home.

Same with our shower. 8 years use (or 6 and 2 years) and no leak or damage.

The rub they were talking about is the loop under the sink that is needed to be able to pull out the faucet sprayer and is caused by the van movements when driving. Wouldn't apply to home faucets.
Old 10-18-2022, 03:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
we had room for a built in pump soap dispenser like we use at home and like the built in feature.
We like having a built-in soap dispenser, too. Only downside is that the soap can freeze and damage the container. Happened to us once. One more winterization chore.

Not sure we will be able to fit one in our next rig, but we are trying.

Quote:
I have had the pull out in our vans for 8 years now and a pull out on our home kitchen faucet for 5 years.
That is our experience as well. I really don't see the hose being an issue. They do put those heavy metal weights on them to make retraction easier. I suppose that thing flopping around might occasionally cause problems. Just remove it if you are worried.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:35 PM   #10
Platinum Member

So a few have complained about the hose being too long. Is it possible to shorten it?
Old 10-18-2022, 08:40 PM   #11
Platinum Member

The hose gas a protective metal spiral ring round the woven fabric. Metal won't rub off in the lifetime of the van. This is the shower I was talking about. I went out to my garage and photographed the cabinet it is in and outside the cabinet. The cabinet has the single mix lever. The shower head has the spring trigger lever you squeeze to get the water to come out. The cabinet stores the shower head and the hose behind the wall. You can see the metal protective spiral ring around the hose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mies Shower Cabinet.jpg (234.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Mies Shower Head.jpg (160.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-18-2022, 08:57 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
The hose gas a protective metal spiral ring round the woven fabric. Metal won't rub off in the lifetime of the van.

That is one of the things I mentioned. If they protect the hose with a metal covering, be it wire or stainless braid, the hose will be fine but whatever it may come in contact with may get worn. In general, wire "springs" around the outside of a hose is used to prevent the hose from bending too tightly and kinking, but will also protect it.

The reason this resonated with me when the RV guys told me of the potential issue is that we and many others went through it all with stainless braid covered oil and coolant hoses in street rods and muscle car builds. Once the stainless braid hoses were on, you never had another hose wear though failure, but you could wreck whatever they happened to be vibrating against like wire harnesses, vacuum lines, batteries, etc. I have seen them were right through and inner fender.

It is good that nobody seems to be reporting that they have had issues, so perhaps they were wrong in their recommendation, but it would be interesting, but impossible, to know where multiple ones got similar worries.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:31 PM   #13
Site Team

The kitchen pull-outs often have a woven-fabric outer sheath, rather than metal. Like this:

Old 10-18-2022, 09:56 PM   #14
Platinum Member

This is another photo as you can see the hose passes through a metal ring that prevents it rubbing on the plastic parts. It also seats on that metal ring. I doubt there is anything inside the chase that can wreck or wear away from the hose. I didn't check my galley faucet hose but I suspect it is not this robust and has the woven fabric as Avanti showed since my home kitchen faucet has.

But as mentioned previously I've never had a hose wear or wear away something else metal or fabric. The benefits far outweigh that concern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mies Shower Head (1).jpg (148.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-18-2022, 10:18 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
This is another photo as you can see the hose passes through a metal ring that prevents it rubbing on the plastic parts. It also seats on that metal ring. I doubt there is anything inside the chase that can wreck or wear away from the hose. I didn't check my galley faucet hose but I suspect it is not this robust and has the woven fabric as Avanti showed since my home kitchen faucet has.

But as mentioned previously I've never had a hose wear or wear away something else metal or fabric. The benefits far outweigh that concern.

Our home one, which is a Delta that is probably 20 years old now, has a metal sheath on it that looks a lot like the construction style they use to make electrical flexible conduit. While not likely to wear anything in the faucet itself severely, it would be bad if the undersink loop was laying on a water or gas line in and RV which is the area that I have been referring to.

The braid fabric that Avanti showed would be OK against those items, I think, but it would vulnerable itself if there were and metal edges that it could hit like brackets or hose camps on things.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:21 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
The kitchen pull-outs often have a woven-fabric outer sheath, rather than metal. Like this:

I didn’t consider using pull-out faucet during my galley design, just didn’t want to trade drawers’ volume for space required for pull-out's hanging hose with weights. All faucets I have/had at home had SS braided hoses.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:39 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Getting back to the original question, there are lots of single lever solutions. I think the 2 handle hot and cold is fast losing favor.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:01 PM   #18
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I didn’t consider using pull-out faucet during my galley design, just didn’t want to trade drawers’ volume for space required for pull-out's hanging hose with weights. All faucets I have/had at home had SS braided hoses.
I omitted the weight for the reasons you cited. It works fine without it, though every now and then I need to manually help the hose back into the faucet.

2002 Great West Van Classic built on 360ci Dodge 3500 Ram Van
rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 06:09 PM   #19
Gold Member

For those of you who have replaced your kitchen faucet, were the water line connectors to the faucet "plug and play" so to speak? I know on the Ikea faucet I installed they use size that is not standard - certainly European.

I would think that they would be but want to hear from anyone who had issues buying a faucet off the shelf and installing. I have the original faucet in my 02 190V that I need to replace - and do not want to be replacing connectors or adding adapters if I do not have to.

Thanks in advance

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 06:49 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We wound up getting an old school Delta ball single handle bar faucet
One of those times, like most times, when the simpler the better.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote