Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 08:13 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default My RT Continental tire just broke

Yesterday, the tension cable snapped on our nine year old unit immediately after I lowered/released it to access the under bed storage area. The released energy transferred to the spring, which in turn jumped about an inch and poked a hole in the fibreglass tire cover. I was able to raise the unit and lock it for the drive home, however it is not as secure as it previously was; the diagonal sliding arm no longer locks over the "catch" area when it returns to the vertical position.

Considering that these continental tire units are no longer available, would it be logical to have a service garage try to safely repair it?
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

You can check with these people: https://www.mobiliferv.ca/rv-parts/roadtrek/
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Mobilife RV is our go to repair facility. I called them earlier today. They indicated that replacements parts are no longer available. I suppose I could ask if they will attempt repair without replacement pats.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

There are more than a few options for spare tire carriers on the Jeep market. You should be able to dig something up that meets your needs. Some flip out sideways, some operate like a gate, etc.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks Stevemo. We will be looking at all options.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:12 PM   #6
Platinum Member

If it is done like the EZ lift and others, the cable would just be normal braided cable often called "aircraft cable" and lots of place should be able to handle using it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:21 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Following booster lead, here are options for steel rope, steel or stainless steel, coated in vinyl and all kinds of clamps. Good luck. https://www.mcmaster.com/wire-rope/
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:32 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Thanks Booster.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:33 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Thanks GeorgeRa
Old 08-27-2021, 11:17 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
Yesterday, the tension cable snapped on our nine year old unit immediately after I lowered/released it to access the under bed storage area. The released energy transferred to the spring, which in turn jumped about an inch and poked a hole in the fibreglass tire cover. I was able to raise the unit and lock it for the drive home, however it is not as secure as it previously was; the diagonal sliding arm no longer locks over the "catch" area when it returns to the vertical position.

Considering that these continental tire units are no longer available, would it be logical to have a service garage try to safely repair it?
My Continental Tire Kit has been repaired. I found DIY info online that provided specs and dimensions. The good news ... the size of the pulleys allowed installed of a larger gauge replacement cable.