Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2023, 05:31 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I used a Sprinter Freightliner dealer for service on my 2012 MB Sprinter for about 8 years. Just bought a new 2023 Sprinter converted by Airstream. I called the Freightliner dealer yesterday and they still can provide full factory service and warranty work on new MB Sprinters. They are also a Freightliner bus dealer, so they have other ties to the MB and Daimler Truck parent company.
Congratulation, it is interesting to see your 360 choice, looking forward to see your reasons. Likely 360 over 11 years is not really a 360 choice.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 05:41 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Mercedes are hard to service but they are still the best van for a class b.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 12:59 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
I used a Sprinter Freightliner dealer for service on my 2012 MB Sprinter for about 8 years. Just bought a new 2023 Sprinter converted by Airstream. I called the Freightliner dealer yesterday and they still can provide full factory service and warranty work on new MB Sprinters. They are also a Freightliner bus dealer, so they have other ties to the MB and Daimler Truck parent company.
You agonized for a great while deciding on you next RV and looked at about everything. Great that you settled.

As I mentioned I started out with a Feightliner dealer because that was the only option. Another reason was the Mercedes Benz dealer was about 20 miles closer to my home. That was welcome. The waiting room and coffee is about the same. Truckers got taken care of as well as the big spenders.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 11:18 PM   #24
Bronze Member

jrobe, I looked at Avanti's list in the post below yours and it looks closer to 20 than your number. I don't know if you have a different source but if you do, can you list it? I decided to print it to carry with us when we travel.
Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 02:07 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
jrobe, I looked at Avanti's list in the post below yours and it looks closer to 20 than your number. I don't know if you have a different source but if you do, can you list it? I decided to print it to carry with us when we travel.
Not all Freightliner dealers will service Sprinters, in fact few do.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:29 AM   #26
Platinum Member

For people that buy or have Mercedes there is always a way to find someone that can service the vehicle. It may not be convenient but you can find places if you look for them. For people that do not want that inconvenience get a ford transit.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:03 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Boxster,
Congrats on the new rig. I've been wondering what you would end up with.
Pics?
Attached photo of my new 2024 Airstream Interstate 19e AWD in my driveway. It's built on a 2023 Sprinter 144wb AWD with the new to USA 4-cylinder diesel engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3473.jpg (226.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-02-2023, 10:39 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Attached photo of my new 2024 Airstream Interstate 19e AWD in my driveway. It's built on a 2023 Sprinter 144wb AWD with the new to USA 4-cylinder diesel engine.
Is this reintroduced 4 cylindwe diesel? Have fan with your new campervan.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:05 PM   #29
Platinum Member

I will be very interested in how well the new engines hold up in always heavy vans like class b's, especially when they get to the dualies and towing a toad class C's.

Aluminum block that has no cast iron cylinder liners. They use a, I think, new process that arc sprays an iron/carbon material on the aluminum cylinder bores. It is also used in passenger cars, it appears.

In other engines for heavy vehicles we tend to see more cast iron blocks as the continuous high loads can be tough on aluminum blocks. The 6.0 Chevy is a case in point with cast iron used for the heavier trucks versions. The sprayed liners will also be interesting. I didn't see any information about how thick it is, but I assume quite thin or the expansion differences would make it crack, I think, is it was thick. Probably not rebuildable unless the bores are worn.

Materials and processes are getting better, so hopefully they will hold up well as they are lighter and more efficient than the engines they are replacing.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:16 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Is this reintroduced 4 cylindwe diesel? Have fan with your new campervan.
It is the Mercedes-Benz OM-654 4-cylinder diesel that was first introduced in 2016. I think it was in a few US MB sedans and SUVs before MBUSA dropped all diesels except in the Sprinters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merced...z_OM654_engine