Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2023, 09:34 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Newer Class B wax and paint protection

Hello, I have gotten some great advice and information this year, from RV folks on this Forum. Thank you to those folks who have responded to my request for help and information. I am looking for recommendations on great body/top wax for my Silver 2020 Travato. The summer sun really gave the metal top a beating this year, and I am beginning my annual clean up and protection plans. I have put the 303 spray on all the plastic parts for UV protection, including the AC cover. I would like to rub on a paste but open to the best.

The best wax I can find or be advised would be beneficial.

Any ideas would help. We are headed into cooler weather in Florida (yes I live near the ocean) and it does take a bit more maintenance. I plan to have a nice newreflective RV cover by spring. LOL

Beachlife
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 11:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have used OPTIMUM CAR WAX for the last 8 years on our 2012 RT, which is parked outside all year. We continue to receive compliments on its finish, including that it looks new. The label says it is polymer/carnauba. It sprays on, and buffs out easily with a hand cloth after it hazes over.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 07:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I’m surprised you need anything. Our white 2014 (built 9/13) PM shines like new after 10 years in the sun.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 09:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife View Post
Hello, I have gotten some great advice and information this year, from RV folks on this Forum. Thank you to those folks who have responded to my request for help and information. I am looking for recommendations on great body/top wax for my Silver 2020 Travato. The summer sun really gave the metal top a beating this year, and I am beginning my annual clean up and protection plans. I have put the 303 spray on all the plastic parts for UV protection, including the AC cover. I would like to rub on a paste but open to the best.

The best wax I can find or be advised would be beneficial.

Any ideas would help. We are headed into cooler weather in Florida (yes I live near the ocean) and it does take a bit more maintenance. I plan to have a nice newreflective RV cover by spring. LOL

Beachlife
I usually use Griots Polygloss spray on wax. It is very simple to use. I use it every third wash or once every 3 months. My van is parked outside in Southern California. It is hot but not humid. I would recommend using Cerakote for the outside black plastic parts. I previously used 303 but it was such a hassle and is water soluble so not that robust. Cerakote lasts longer although not the 200 washes they promise.
Old 10-09-2023, 12:40 AM   #5
Site Team

I agree with @MsNomer. as far as I can tell, modern automotive finishes are virtually impervious to sun damage. Yes, putting stuff on it makes it shinier for awhile, but I am very skeptical that it is providing any real protection.

Sun damage to interiors and tires are another matter. That is definitely a thing. I do not know whether any of the available magic potions are effective on these surfaces, but I would like to. Anybody have any actual (non-anecdotal) data?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 01:13 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I agree with @MsNomer. as far as I can tell, modern automotive finishes are virtually impervious to sun damage. Yes, putting stuff on it makes it shinier for awhile, but I am very skeptical that it is providing any real protection.

Sun damage to interiors and tires are another matter. That is definitely a thing. I do not know whether any of the available magic potions are effective on these surfaces, but I would like to. Anybody have any actual (non-anecdotal) data?

I think sun damage is kind of moving target as paint formulations, colors, ambient temps, ambient air quality all can have an affect on oxidation.

The new finishes are much better, but some vehicles still seem have issues with sun fade, clearcoat peeling, ect so again very tough to predict.

I just painted my Buick Roadmaster wagon, circa 1996, with PPG aftermarket base and clear urethane in their midline grade. This particular formulation was said to mimic factory finish i appearance, as in orange peel and gloss, so good for a driver quality paint job. I was amazed how hard a finish the new catalyzed aftermarket solvent based paints are. You can hardly sand it to get rid of a clearcoat defect. Much better than the old stuff, IMO.

But, the factory paints are all waterbase now, I think, so much less predictable, especially on adhesion but also other issues. That makes it hard to compare to aftermarket.

Our 07 Chevy shows no oxidation, but it is stored indoors so a bad example, I think. I do try to wax it somewhat regularly, but it is mainly to make bugs, sap, and other contaminates not stick to it so badly. I doubt it would help oxidation all that much, maybe a bit on corrosive atmosphere.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 12:10 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Lots of good choices out there.
I've painted a lot of stuff over the years and tried a lot of products.
My favorite method for years now is pretty basic but works well for me.
A good wash to start, then use of a fine grade clay bar, then NuFinish, all done yearly.

The clay bar gets the surface really clean, you'll be surprised at how much debris is on the surface of a "clean" vehicle. The surface will then readily accept a decent wax of your choice. For me, I've found NuFinish to be quite durable.

Booster's right about the newer finishes - they are also a thinner mil thickness and the top clear coat can sometimes get compromised without regular maintenance. Really can vary between mfg's.
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:25 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post

This is anecdotal, but my interior plastic also still looks new—except for the dust I can never get out of the crevices.

The exterior plastic trim has aged, but it has done so uniformly, so I don’t worry about it.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 06:26 PM   #9
Platinum Member

My 2013 Sprinter Van in Pebble Gray color paint is not so good. Especially the hood needs some wax. Van was mostly stored in a covered storage and since 2015 in our garage. Pebble gray color was no extra charge option and it has no clear coat. Paint quality was not as good as out similar age Honda Accord which had practically no sign of weathering.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote