Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2023, 03:36 PM   #121
Site Team

IMG_5759.jpeg
IMG_5763.jpeg
IMG_5867.jpeg

At some point, they strip everything back to the raw van and do the plumbing, cut holes, and other rough-ins.

All these pictures are arranged in chronological order. They show how they build out significant segments of the interior, and then repeatedly remove them to do infrastructure work and to make modifications as necessary.

When everything is finalized, they once again remove everything and apply the veneers and other finishes:

IMG_5875.jpeg
IMG_5926.jpeg

At first, I thought this was crazy (it took me awhile to realize that much of the early "mockups" would survive into the final van.) They make skillful use of both CNC and manual craftsmanship to evolve a final design in many small steps. Many times during visits, we would say things like "that radius isn't quite right, and they would revise it in a few minutes. It sounds wasteful given the quality of the materials being used, I have concluded that it isn't. More often than not, the changes were simply applied to the existing piece, rather than discarding it. And when a new piece was needed, the old piece was most often simply reused for some smaller component. It was all quite impressive.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 04:16 PM   #122
Platinum Member

This has been a highly informative thread.

I'm looking forward to more information on your van automation.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:11 PM   #123
Platinum Member

Thanks for sharing, it seems as you squeeze a practically full proto into your development process, expensive but likely well paid off by less mistakes in the final product.

Did you weigh cabinetry while building this plywood prototype or calculated weight from CAD?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 07:48 PM   #124
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Did you weigh cabinetry while building this plywood prototype or calculated weight from CAD?
I just trusted the upfitter on this one. This is the highest capacity available Transit (GVWR 11,000lb, max payload 4,870lb). Should be plenty of headroom, but I haven't weighed it yet.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:06 AM   #125
Platinum Member

Avanti, I thought you would have built your rig yourself but to that of course was a few years ago lol. I like what you have posted about your rig being built. Can you post final pictures of what it looks like or are they posted somewhere else? I would be interested
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote