Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2021, 01:39 AM   #1

Default Probably common but not to me

Was plugged into a 30amp today and running fine for about an hour when everything went dead. Checked everything and tried it again. No breaker had been thrown. Tried my tester on the 30 outlet and it says it’s wired correctly. Decided to try using the 50amp to 30 converter and worked fine. Is this normal? I’ve camped a bit and never experienced this before. I’m guessing I was running on battery for that hour prior. In the 2016 Roadtrek 210 Popular it’s my understanding that plugging into shore power is sort of an automatic thing. Inverter just switches over.
Thomas1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:59 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Probably a bad 30 A socket. Your (3 light?) tester might be deceiving you, because it doesn't require very much current to show proper voltages -- but when the circuit is loaded, it might give completely different readings.]

Try testing the 30A socket with an 30A to 15A adapter connected to a hair dryer or other high power load. If it fails to operate, it's a bad socket.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:12 PM   #3

Thanks. I’ve never thought of having a 30 to 15a. That would be a good way to check.
Thomas1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
Bronze Member

As a side note, someone did an excellent Roadtrek Electrical Simulator (all interactive) which provide a quick representation of the major electrical systems in different RT (Model/Year). You might find it helpful in the future. http://www.metrotrekkers.org/utility/electrical.htm
habsfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:38 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Smile

I am clueless about electrical stuff. I am just responding from experience.

Did you check to make sure that an electrical outlet didn't trip? (That little button on the outlet that has a reset button.)

Just a thought...

Nancy
ballbraindogs is offline   Reply With Quote