Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2024, 08:16 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default put fuse box cover back on engine compartment 2006 Roadtrek 190

Removed it to try and see if my reading lights in the front had a blown fuse, should have read the manual first. I can't seem to get the cover back on, keeps hitting either some relays or a cable coming in on the upper right corner.

anyone have tricks for this?
sbslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 03:20 PM   #2
Gold Member

If its the 2 piece one, the larger piece on first.

I use patience and experimenting to be able to get it back on.
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 03:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Make sure it is not hanging up on the rear clip, it is even there it may be deformed and is hard to see. Go by feel if you have to.

For us the passenger side front of the car corner is the worst as it has to go over the larger cables coming out there. If that isn't lined up and pushed down around them well, the rear will not go over the flange in the back, which may be what you are running across.

They are a truly horrible design, no question about that.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 07:28 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupB View Post
If its the 2 piece one, the larger piece on first.

I use patience and experimenting to be able to get it back on.
I tried taking the smaller piece that goes over the relays primarily, and I can get on the larger piece OK, but I don't ever feel like it's secured well. The smaller piece seems to be running into the relays when I try to put it on.

I'm contemplating cutting out part of the smaller piece to remove the perceived interference location. Not sure why it's a two piece assembly to begin with, as I can't imagine taking off the smaller piece and leaving the larger attached.

@booster, the corner sticking is the driver side toward the back of the van. That's where the biggest wires enter, even though the 125A fuse is on the passenger side of the fuse box.

In hindsight, I never should have gone looking at the fuse box, as I knew the dome light is functional and has proper voltage to it, its just the reading light voltage that's missing. I'm sure they're run off the same fuse, but I've not figured out yet which one that is. Maybe the instrument cluster . . . ?
Old 03-31-2024, 04:08 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I tried a theory out and it was correct. I cut a piece out of the small removable piece (corner nearest the driver) of the cover, now I can "install" the entire cover, including the small removable piece. The cover doesn't really seem secured though. There are latch like pieces on the sides of the cover that don't seem to line up with anything on the base. I'm hoping/assuming its on as good now as it was before. Wish I could see a picture of the assembly outside the van.
Old 03-31-2024, 04:56 PM   #6
Platinum Member

https://www.quirkparts.com/oem-parts...yABEgIjG_D_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115536179077
Old 03-31-2024, 06:34 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Lesson of the weekend
Stop
Think
Observe
Plan

I was trying to put the cover on 180 rotated from the intended installation . . . The picture from ebay shows how I was trying to install when standing in front of the van and looking into the engine compartment.

I did learn from the pictures that only one of the latches remains on the fuse box mount. But it seems that when the cover is oriented properly, it goes on fine and can't be pulled straight off. There is some retention still.

I did end up removing the side walls where the small cover goes on about 1" or so up to clear the relays that interfere when you try to put it on backwards. Not sure why they try to isolate that area of the compartment? Perhaps if the 125 amp fuse blows there flying debris won't get into the small fuse compartment.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:46 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbslider View Post
Lesson of the weekend
Stop
Think
Observe
Plan

I was trying to put the cover on 180 rotated from the intended installation . . . The picture from ebay shows how I was trying to install when standing in front of the van and looking into the engine compartment.

I did learn from the pictures that only one of the latches remains on the fuse box mount. But it seems that when the cover is oriented properly, it goes on fine and can't be pulled straight off. There is some retention still.

I did end up removing the side walls where the small cover goes on about 1" or so up to clear the relays that interfere when you try to put it on backwards. Not sure why they try to isolate that area of the compartment? Perhaps if the 125 amp fuse blows there flying debris won't get into the small fuse compartment.

The backwards was one of the very first things I thought of when you said the big wires were in the back. It is easy to do and I have tried it also in the past.

Many have broken latches from people trying to get them off. Ours were on a new van so Roadtrek or the dealer must have done it. I fished a velcro strap around it to hold the cover on so it doesn't injest water which can be an issue. Be sure the plastic water trough straight up from it is still in place to deflect water coming in along the fender and hood.

The hump at the big fuses and breakers may be to let the heat out as they can get pretty warm.
Old 03-31-2024, 10:03 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I fished a velcro strap around it to hold the cover on so it doesn't injest water which can be an issue. Be sure the plastic water trough straight up from it is still in place to deflect water coming in along the fender and hood.
It's good to know a Velcro strap is an option.

I was tempted to remove the trough, but fortunately it is labeled as a water defector and left it alone.