Originally Posted by mkguitar
tough without details- many of us are "fix it yourselfers" - crucial if camping takes you to the boonies
I'd be looking at the isolator switch turned on, breakers, fuses and etc
It's kind of a long story about the issue.
It started when I stayed at a new campground and the battery separator was clicking on and off every 10 seconds after I plugged in. I did use a surge protector. The roadside assistance guy said it sounded like electrical surging and said I should move to a different plug in location. They did move me and it was fine for 3 hours then started again. It was dark by then but I went out to look at the surge protecter and the light that says 'overheating when on' was on so I unplugged for the rest of the night and turned the fridge to propane.
Next morning I used the furnace to warm up and checked the battery tester and it was amber on the "G". I turned fridge to battery like I always do. Started driving and about 30 min later my propane/CO detector starts beeping the low battery beep. I pulled over to the side of the road and the battery tester showed the red "L". I turned the fridge to propane while I was stopped and called back roadside assistance and the beeping then stopped. I looked at the battery tester again and saw it jumped up to the red "F".
After a lot of back and forth with roadside assistance I decided to drive a short distance to a campground I'd been to before and call a mobile RV guy. When I first plugged in there the battery separator was clicking on and off again so I unplugged to wait for the rv guy. When we plugged it in again it didn't click. He tested the voltage at the separator, my chassis battery, and house battery. Voltage was good and he said the house battery was charging. All the fuses checked out as good.
I was plugged in there for about 18 hours. Everything worked fine being plugged in but when I looked at the battery tester in the morning it was amber color on the "G". I unplugged and looked at it again and it had fallen to the red "F" level. I again turned the fridge to battery and figured driving would charge it. After about an hour of driving the beeping started again. I pulled over and just turned off the battery and drove on to my next destination.
Plugged in, immediately turned the fridge to propane and checked the thermometer inside it and was concerned that the fridge temp was a bit over 40.
Long story short, every day of the return trip the battery tester never got higher than amber on the 'G' when plugged in and always immediately fell to red 'F' after unplugging. I would turn the fridge to battery when I started out each morning and then turn it off when it started beeping low. I also bought a bag of ice to put in the fridge to keep the food cold from one destination to the other until I could plug in.
I explained all this to the CW guy. He called me a couple hours later to tell me there was nothing wrong because the battery was charging. I told him again that's what the mobile rv guy said too but obviously something was not working right. He was supposed to call the next day, never did. I had to call back and speak with the manager who then said he was getting a different story from me than what was written down. I told him it's exactly the same as I told the other guy. He then calls me back and says that a cell was shot and replaced the battery. That battery had just been replaced in mid-January. I asked them to check the electrical system and when I picked it up the next day they said they did and everything was fine and the battery was fully charged.
So I take it home. I hadn't used it in about a week so I plugged it in for 24 hours. Before unplugging I checked the tester again and again it is only showing amber on the 'G". When I started the engine and looked at the battery tester it showed green on the 'C'. When I turn the engine off it falls to amber on the "G". It never showed that it was charging when it was plugged in.
I did take it back and talked to the manager and he then said they didn't go into the coach to check the panel so I doubt they even checked anything on the electrical system. They have it now but haven't called me back yet.
I don't have any confidence in the CW guys and that's why I was asking for a recommendation for someone to take it to. Not anything I can do myself.