Anybody tried making reservations on recreation.gov lately? I have made two reservations in the last week --both for next May and June (within the six month limit). I found this site to work very well for my uses in the past few years but not now!
The "new improved website" apparently wasn't tested too well before going live. It jammed on me, dropped half my entries and took me over thirty minutes this morning to make a simple reservation for a site. I have tried this on three different devices (Windows 7 PC, Windows 10 PC and ATT IPad) with the same poor performance on all three. I used the ATT Cellular on my IPad, and two other cable ISPs on the two PCs and experienced the same jamming, failing and general poor performance on all three.
A quick google search and I found others complaining as well. The last time I called customer service (last fall) I timed the call for over fifteen minutes due to "unusually high demand" before being taken off of hold.
Being an old ignert OKie, I may no longer be smart enough to use the site effectively, or just maybe someone forgot about Beta testing and normal procedure for website changes. I found the previous version to work pretty flawlessly. If it ain't broke................