Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 10:13 PM   #1
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Yes, and yes. Quite a few of us have removed working generators because we found we didn't need the unreliable noisy things.
Yep. I can't bring myself to get rid of ours, because it still works fine. But, I should.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I got mine working ( have posted the in situ carb cleaner and seafoam rehab) and it works fine

WE HAVE NEVER used it while camping

and I think about removing it, but "what if"

It could also power the fridge in the house should we have a prolonged power outage

( monsoon season coming and we do have problems due to power company paying execs huge bonuses and not maintaining their lines)

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:23 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Looking at these replies it is apparent that our own individual life styles bear on this issue. We like to boondock but, we don't do it 100 % of the time...maybe not even 25% but we do love to do it. We do use the gennie when we do: in the morning to cook breakfast on the induction plate, make coffee and use the toaster. That said, we can do the coffee and the toast on the inverter but I like the induction to cook the eggs. Dinnertime we use it again because we also like to use the induction plate and maybe the convection microwave. During the time it is running it also recharges the coach batteries. So, in the end it is different strokes for different folks (sorry, I don't remember who used that phrase first...probably sometime back in the '60s). We don't use it for running A/C (who likes a massage trying to sleep). Anyway, that is my two cents and I would be happy to hear what others do.
Best,
John
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:38 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
Looking at these replies it is apparent that our own individual life styles bear on this issue. We like to boondock but, we don't do it 100 % of the time...maybe not even 25% but we do love to do it. We do use the gennie when we do: in the morning to cook breakfast on the induction plate, make coffee and use the toaster. That said, we can do the coffee and the toast on the inverter but I like the induction to cook the eggs. Dinnertime we use it again because we also like to use the induction plate and maybe the convection microwave. During the time it is running it also recharges the coach batteries. So, in the end it is different strokes for different folks (sorry, I don't remember who used that phrase first...probably sometime back in the '60s). We don't use it for running A/C (who likes a massage trying to sleep). Anyway, that is my two cents and I would be happy to hear what others do.
Best,
John

We can stay off grid essentially indefinitely without a generator, using the microwave and other stuff electric as we want, all of batteries. We use gas to cook as it is much more energy dense and we are outside anyway, with gas grille and/or Fold-N-Go stove run off the Roadtrek propane tank. 300 watts of solar will keep us full almost all the time unless the solar conditions are very poor. If needed we can quick charge at 180 amps off the alternators and get a days charge in 20 minutes, so a trip to the dump station will do it. We have 440ah of AGMs hung underneath the van where the generator was.

It all depends on how you want to do it, and the generator just didn't fit in with how we wanted to camp.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:41 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I've been where you are and am hoping for success in getting your generator running correctly.

My opinion of my generator recently changed due to mine finally running correctly after 2-1/2 years of ownership. The more I "exercised" it recently, the better it has performed.

Previously, I was dissatisfied to the point of doing my own modest 200Ah lithium upgrade to be able to run the microwave due to the stalling/stumbling problems of my Onan. But the fact my generator is now dependable has completely changed my opinion of it to positive. If I had posted my opinion only a few months ago, I assure you it would have been different.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote