Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2023, 02:44 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Replacing majic fan on RT 190 Ranger

Our Majic Fan just quit working. Assuming that it needs to be replaced, I am wondering how difficult it will or won't be to remove and replace it.
Has anyone with a 190 replaced theirs?
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 02:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
Our Majic Fan just quit working. Assuming that it needs to be replaced, I am wondering how difficult it will or won't be to remove and replace it.

Are you talking about the roof vent fan? Perhaps a Fantastic Fan if that is what you are referring to.

If so lots of us have replaced them, usually with Maxxfans.

Not a horrible job but you do need to get up to the roof from the outside unless you just replace the guts from the bottom with another Fanstastic Fan.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 11:26 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks for figuring out what I was trying to say. Your comment "get up to the roof" suggests to me that replacing the unit does require placing t a lot of weight on the roof ... yes/no?
Old 10-24-2023, 12:13 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for figuring out what I was trying to say. Your comment "get up to the roof" suggests to me that replacing the unit does require placing t a lot of weight on the roof ... yes/no?

It depends on how you do it. You can reach it from a leaned ladder against the van, with protective padding and an assistant to keep it from sliding out from under you. You do have to lean in a lot, though, to do it. Crawling around on the fiberglass roof is not a good idea as they are not all that strong.

Depending on how old your 190 is and how much weather it has seen, you are probably due to having the sealer around the fan replaced anyway. It does appear to have a limited lifetime.
Old 10-24-2023, 03:12 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
It depends on how you do it. You can reach it from a leaned ladder against the van, with protective padding and an assistant to keep it from sliding out from under you. You do have to lean in a lot, though, to do it. Crawling around on the fiberglass roof is not a good idea as they are not all that strong.
Depending on how old your 190 is and how much weather it has seen, you are probably due to having the sealer around the fan replaced anyway. It does appear to have a limited lifetime.
Thanks. Is there any functional difference between the Maxxfan and the Fantastic fan?
Old 10-24-2023, 11:47 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks. Is there any functional difference between the Maxxfan and the Fantastic fan?

The work similarly, but IMO the Maxxfan is a better design. It has two lid struts instead of one and the remote works much better if you get the the 10 speed one. The Fantastic seemed very flimsy to me.
Old 10-24-2023, 12:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
The work similarly, but IMO the Maxxfan is a better design. It has two lid struts instead of one and the remote works much better if you get the the 10 speed one. The Fantastic seemed very flimsy to me.
Does your Maxxfan draw air into the van? If yes, how often do you use this function?
Old 10-24-2023, 12:59 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Does your Maxxfan draw air into the van? If yes, how often do you use this function?

Yes, the one we have will exhaust or bring in for all speeds. It also has an open dome, no fan, mode from the remote which we use quite a bit.

It is very rare that we would use the blow in mode. People who use the shower and have the fan above the shower commonly use that mode to blow the curtain out a bit.
Old 10-24-2023, 01:16 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes, the one we have will exhaust or bring in for all speeds. It also has an open dome, no fan, mode from the remote which we use quite a bit.
It is very rare that we would use the blow in mode. People who use the shower and have the fan above the shower commonly use that mode to blow the curtain out a bit.
Thanks again
Old 10-26-2023, 07:55 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Quote:
I have a Roadtrek Ranger RT 2014 and the guts (motor) died on me this summer. I replaced the motor with this part from Amazon

feeoveo Rv Vent Motor Replacement kit Fan Blade Kit Assembly Compatible with Fantastic Fan with Screen

NOTE: the fan blades were too big for my Fantastic fan enclosure, however very easy to swap the fan blade. I was concerned with the size of the motor, bigger than original, but it fits perfectly. Very happy so far…!

VIDEO
Product Energy Guide
feeoveo Rv Vent Motor Replacement kit Fan Blade Kit Assembly Compatible with Fantastic Fan with Screen
habsfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:33 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan59 View Post
I have a Roadtrek Ranger RT 2014 and the guts (motor) died on me this summer. I replaced the motor with this part from Amazon
NOTE: the fan blades were too big for my Fantastic fan enclosure, however very easy to swap the fan blade. I was concerned with the size of the motor, bigger than original, but it fits perfectly. Very happy so far…!
VIDEO
Product Energy Guide
Thanks. This is a great option.
Your Habs are off to a great start! It would be super cool if both the Habs and Sens make the playoffs.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:04 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:

VIDEO
Product Energy Guide
I bought that same motor setup this last May. It now has well over 100 hours on it. It is a lot quieter than the flat pancake motor that Dometic has seen fit to jam down our throats since buying out Fantastic.

It fit fine with no mods, IIRC. Did I say it is much quieter? None of those squeaky brush noises.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 02:44 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I had both fans, Maxxair and Fantastic, I like Maxxair. Maxxiair has 2 arms lifting the dome and Fantastic only one which chatters as dome is being closed or opened. Fantastic had a double glaze dome, Maxxair doesn’t have this option.

I wish to have a fan with quiet motor without occasionally squeaking brushes requiring maintenance. Unfortunately, brushless DC replacement motors are not available.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:29 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
VIDEO
Product Energy Guide
Habsfan59, note that responses vary in regard to noise reduction.
Did you notice any noise reduction from the new motor/old blades combo?