Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2022, 06:34 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Replace rocker switch for battery disconnect on RT 200 V

Anyone have any idea where I can locate a new switch to replace the one that is no longer working? I don't really want to replace the whole panel if I don't need to.
Here's a picture of the panel with the Battery disconnect switch:
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 2.30.42 PM.png (884.0 KB, 20 views)
moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosey View Post
Anyone have any idea where I can locate a new switch to replace the one that is no longer working? I don't really want to replace the whole panel if I don't need to.
Here's a picture of the panel with the Battery disconnect switch:
Camping world had them. When you take the old one out you will find it is not a simple switch. It is six pole, I think. Remove the panel from the wall, take a picture of the backside of it and start looking.

The problem could also be in the solenoid that switch controls.

https://www.intellitec.com/wp-conten...-00066-100.pdf

Two pole double throw momentary switch
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

How do you know it is the switch issue, could be the contactor. What are the symptoms? Corroded contacts can cause issues - https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...html#post91090
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:49 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
How do you know it is the switch issue, could be the contactor. What are the symptoms? Corroded contacts can cause issues - https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...html#post91090
It might not be the switch, but we're looking to go with easiest possible solution first. Went to exercise the generator...started the engine and depressed the disconnect switch...nothing happened. the switch itself didn't stay in the "on" position. Just stayed in the middle of the on/off positions. I went out and plugged the RT in and the disconnect switch stayed in the middle but the red light was on. Tomorrow I'm going to remove the switch and clean it up a bit. might have corrosion issues or whatever.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:52 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I replaced that switch, ordered from Amazon, fit and works fine.
GAMA Electronics Mini 3 Position Double Pole Momentary On-Off-Momentary On Rocker Switch DPDT
In my case the switch had an obvious failure.
Be sure you take a pic of the original wiring on the back of the switch before you disconnect anything. The plastic face of the panel can be gently pried off to access the connections.
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:04 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Trek View Post
I replaced that switch, ordered from Amazon, fit and works fine.
GAMA Electronics Mini 3 Position Double Pole Momentary On-Off-Momentary On Rocker Switch DPDT
In my case the switch had an obvious failure.
Be sure you take a pic of the original wiring on the back of the switch before you disconnect anything. The plastic face of the panel can be gently pried off to access the connections.
Actually...3 position? The switch, when functioning properly, is only on & off. Where is the momentary position on this one...far to the left?
Old 09-21-2022, 02:25 PM   #7
Bronze Member

I'm thinking this one as it doesn't have a "momentary" function (according to the questions that were answered in the reviews). Still don't quite understand the ON-OFF-ON bit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DOQ6410P&psc=1
Old 09-21-2022, 02:47 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Hi Moosey, the DPDT switch I referenced was an exact replacement. Perhaps someone can refine my answer but it's a momentary switch to energize or de-energize the latching Intellitec relay. I believe it also provides constant power to the panel (battery "on" light) and the panel itself.
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:30 PM   #9

You can get a six blade rocker switch from Sandy’s west Rv in Tucson about $20 shipped. (520) 884-8866
Good luck.
Lanex005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:36 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm thinking this one as it doesn't have a "momentary" function (according to the questions that were answered in the reviews). Still don't quite understand the ON-OFF-ON bit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DOQ6410P&psc=1
It must be momentary, 3 position. on-off-on.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:40 AM   #11

Default battery shut off/on issue

hi all,I have a 2007 Roadtrek 190, I'm having a similar problem. I thought my switch was bad, and then I thought it was my batteries, but my switch works when I start the van but does not when I try it normally. Batteries are at 12.9- 13 volts, sometimes I hear a clicking sound down by the electrical panel. so now I'm thinking it could be the solenoid. When I start the van the battery voltage is 13.5. Is there just not enough voltage to initiate the solenoid when the van is not running ?
sailertim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:48 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Just an opinion but if you are having trouble with the switch and battery contactor replace them both and be done with it. In all probability the problem is in the solenoid and the switch is less than $10. Etrailer has the switch, do a search on Intellitec to find the solenoid.

Buy two. It wouldn’t hurt to carry a spare, I do.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:20 PM   #13
Bronze Member

We took out the old switch, took a pic of the wiring, and installed the new switch. The wire connections for the last two poles (I guess that's what they're called) on the right side of the switch just will not connect...no "click" when the wire is pushed down onto the pole. The left side and middle wires, no problem making that connection. Is there a trick?
Old 09-27-2022, 07:26 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
We took out the old switch, took a pic of the wiring, and installed the new switch. The wire connections for the last two poles (I guess that's what they're called) on the right side of the switch just will not connect...no "click" when the wire is pushed down onto the pole. The left side and middle wires, no problem making that connection. Is there a trick?
Did you test the old switch?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:04 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yep, bend the locking tabs back in to shape with a pick or very small screw driver. If the connection is loose you squeeze the tabs a bit with a needle nose pliers.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:00 PM   #16
Platinum Member

You must have a momentary action switch for this application. When you press on it sends a short pulse to the coil of the bistable power relay which turns it on. It is a latching relay and if the coil is continuously powered it will burn out (actually, it blows the 5 amp turn on fuse on the side of the coil.When you press the off side it sends a similar turn off pulse to the relay. Neither side must be powered up for more than a few seconds.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:09 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Thanks! Well the switch works fine, but we still aren't able to make a solid connection with the last two wires. Very loose. We've made the connection with electrical tape just so we could exercise the generator. Really don't want to solder the connection it so we're looking for an electrician who can spare 10 minutes to have a look/see. Something so simple has become so maddening!
Old 10-24-2022, 02:18 PM   #18
Platinum Member

without reading the whole thread

connections on vehicles are not soldered, they are crimped.

soldered joints do no tolerate vibrations and eventually the wire strands will break at the tinning.

crimp connections are easy.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:52 PM   #19
Bronze Member

I understand about the soldering issue, but we're not comfortable trying to force the connection and possibly damage the wiring.