Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2023, 11:49 PM   #1
Rok
Platinum Member

Default Replacing a Sprinter Headlight Lamp: What's Best?

Well, the title pretty much says it all.

I need to replace an "H7 55W" bulb on our Sprinter Van Class B.

I made the mistake of looking on Amazon at all of the options and of course I want to do the right thing.

Here is what I wrote when I reintroduced myself--it's been a couple of years since I last posted, IIRC. Here's the recopied blurb:

We still have our 2013 Great West Legend SE (built on a 2012 MB Sprinter). Which we've enjoyed--all except for the part where the company went bankrupt owing us about $5K for warrantee issues.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out what people are doing with Sprinters when replacing headlight lamps. Ours uses an H7 55W bulb, but there are a lot of choices out there. (1) Standard Halogen, (2) Super-Bright Halogen, (3) Upgrade to LED, or (probably not) (4) Go back to a standard non-halogen bulb.

What is the best choice?

And, "Hi." again to everyone!
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 12:50 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok View Post
Well, the title pretty much says it all.

I need to replace an "H7 55W" bulb on our Sprinter Van Class B.

I made the mistake of looking on Amazon at all of the options and of course I want to do the right thing.

Here is what I wrote when I reintroduced myself--it's been a couple of years since I last posted, IIRC. Here's the recopied blurb:

We still have our 2013 Great West Legend SE (built on a 2012 MB Sprinter). Which we've enjoyed--all except for the part where the company went bankrupt owing us about $5K for warrantee issues.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out what people are doing with Sprinters when replacing headlight lamps. Ours uses an H7 55W bulb, but there are a lot of choices out there. (1) Standard Halogen, (2) Super-Bright Halogen, (3) Upgrade to LED, or (probably not) (4) Go back to a standard non-halogen bulb.

What is the best choice?

And, "Hi." again to everyone!

Based on what I have seen in various other sizes of bulbs.

Regular halogen is normal stock brightness in most vehicles.

Super bright halogen cost quite a bit more and usually aren't nearly as bright as the claims from the manufacturers. They also usually have considerably shorter life, so check the rated hours on them compared to normal halogen.

Led bulb upgrade can be quite good with the right bulbs or horrible with others. It took a couple of tries when I got them for my old Buick wagon. The cheap ones are always bad.

Standard incandescent are cheap and normally light very poorly.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 01:51 AM   #3
Rok
Platinum Member

Thanks Booster,

I think I remember going through this once or twice before. Actually, I remember once, but think it was twice because I bought a two-pack of bulbs. And I don't have the extra one.

I bought the bulbs locally at AutoZone and I remember the brightness vs. longevity issue.

I remember a 2-pack of bulbs wasn't much more than a single bulb.

Thanks again.
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote