Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2023, 07:17 AM   #41
Bronze Member

Matt's RV reviews did a recent article on why B's cost so much more than a C and sometimes an A relative to size, interesting take on it.

I've been considering the 59K and have found em in Vegas or Mesa Arizona for a significant discount, ie 30-40k cheaper than what Oregon has. I'm willing to fly and drive for that discount and well worth it. Only drawback is of the unit has issues and I need it taken care of before I leave the lot. Which now means I have to WFH in Arizona until it gets fixed or fly back after it's done. Thoughts?
stevanpierce@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:25 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Certainly there will be regional differences where some places have already given in to market pressures and started lowing their prices to push that tin, while others where the demand was historically high (I suspect Portland, OR, counts) will be slower to respond in the same manner. Arizona in general, and the Phoenix area in particular, is one of those places to where people retire, age out of their RV's and then have to unload them, so it makes perfect sense that prices on used RVs, even Class B units, might soften there first. This may also be true in Las Vegas. I suspect the same is generally true of other retirement capitals, such as Florida.

As to whether it's worth your time to travel to Vegas or Mesa to look at units that are $30-40K less than what appear to be similar units in Portland, it sounds like a great excuse for an adventure. As you noted, however, with adventures come opportunities to take longer than expected, and to work remotely while nailing down the details on a good used unit and then getting back home - or not finding what you want and flying back home.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:21 PM   #43
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Certainly there will be regional differences where some places have already given in to market pressures and started lowing their prices to push that tin, while others where the demand was historically high (I suspect Portland, OR, counts) will be slower to respond in the same manner. Arizona in general, and the Phoenix area in particular, is one of those places to where people retire, age out of their RV's and then have to unload them, so it makes perfect sense that prices on used RVs, even Class B units, might soften there first. This may also be true in Las Vegas. I suspect the same is generally true of other retirement capitals, such as Florida.

As to whether it's worth your time to travel to Vegas or Mesa to look at units that are $30-40K less than what appear to be similar units in Portland, it sounds like a great excuse for an adventure. As you noted, however, with adventures come opportunities to take longer than expected, and to work remotely while nailing down the details on a good used unit and then getting back home - or not finding what you want and flying back home.
I hadn't thought about the aged out RV based on retirees, makes sense thinking about a RV lot dealer have great discounts on Florida as well. I didn't put two and two together until you mentioned it.

I've actually found similar with new prices too. Which leads me to believe they are having to compete with used market and therefore need to sell new a heck of a lot cheaper.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:35 PM   #44
Platinum Member

I'm not an expert, of course, but the way I see it is that as higher interest rates keep reminding the majority of buyers that an RV is a luxury and not a necessity, the market will continue to soften for a period of time. As used units pile up and new units begin find fewer buyers, over time there's probably going to be a significant adjustment, even in the Class B market. So, in my view, patience is your friend. Can buyers wait longer to purchase than sellers can hang onto unsold inventory while hoping for "greater fools" who will pay their higher price? Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, we've given up on any idea of selling our used unit any time in the next year or two and have focused instead on upgrading and/or eliminating the things in it that used to annoy us.

https://www.fool.com/investing/how-t...r-fool-theory/
Old 04-01-2023, 03:16 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Covid causing a lot of RVs sales when people realized not going to an office could have an RV and work anywhere and now thinking RVing is not for them or returning to offices and low interest rates should have a glut of RVs on the market. High interest rates, inflation, people asking for what they paid to get out of a bad decision and constant talk in the news media about thinking twice before buying an RV has put a damper on sales and bargains.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 03:38 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Exactly. Lots of people who aren't really RV types bought Class B RV's during the worst of Covid as a way to get outside and/or work remotely. Now, they're staring at payments, storage costs, maintenance, etc., and they want to unload those units. For my part, I'd be very cautious about buying an RV built during the peak of Covid and check it out thoroughly before making a purchase decision, but for patient buyers there will probably be good buying opportunities in the coming months.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:46 PM   #47
Bronze Member

Quote:
Exactly. Lots of people who aren't really RV types bought Class B RV's during the worst of Covid as a way to get outside and/or work remotely. Now, they're staring at payments, storage costs, maintenance, etc., and they want to unload those units. For my part, I'd be very cautious about buying an RV built during the peak of Covid and check it out thoroughly before making a purchase decision, but for patient buyers there will probably be good buying opportunities in the coming months.
Storage costs are part of the reason I'm looking at a B so I understand the extra $ factoring in. Since my driveway is 23'6", I'm kinda limited in what I can have.

Would y'all recommend buying before, during, or after summer?
Old 04-01-2023, 05:39 PM   #48
Platinum Member

I guess I'd max out at no more than 22' for any Class B RV. That would include the Sprinter and Transit in their longer wheelbase, though not extended, as well as anything on the Promaster chassis, and of course the 19' Sprinters.

If you live in an HOA, check carefully before assuming you can park it in your driveway.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:30 PM   #49
Platinum Member

I live in an HOA and can’t park a van or any car in the driveway overnight. Guests can. I knew that going in so bought a condo garage which sells for nearly 3X in 6 years if I want to sell it today. I don’t mind. I also think it is better than a van that fills the driveway and would block a garage stall and in Minnesota would be in the way if you want to shovel snow off the driveway or just be a nuisance.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:39 PM   #50
Platinum Member

I'm jelly. If I could find and buy a condo garage around here, I'd be all over that. Two thumbs up.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:56 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm jelly. If I could find and buy a condo garage around here, I'd be all over that. Two thumbs up.
They are rare or non-existent in most cities but popular in the Twin Cities with over 8 complexes around the cities in the suburbs.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:45 PM   #52
Platinum Member

Speaking of storage, one of our favorite things about our rented covered storage here in FL is that it helps protect our van from the worst abuses of the sun. In our driveway, our van would get roasted mercilessly every day. I'd love to have it so close for the sake of access and convenience, but at the very least, Florida's blasting sun would shorten the life of the van's interior.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:51 PM   #53
Bronze Member

Quote:
Speaking of storage, one of our favorite things about our rented covered storage here in FL is that it helps protect our van from the worst abuses of the sun. In our driveway, our van would get roasted mercilessly every day. I'd love to have it so close for the sake of access and convenience, but at the very least, Florida's blasting sun would shorten the life of the van's interior.
We don't have issues w sun up in Portland...just rain, unexpected break-ins, and possible catalytic converter thefts.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:12 PM   #54
Platinum Member

What spurred me on to find our condo garage was the fact I could find but one outside rental that had an electrical hook up 31 miles away. So I rented it for about 4 months reluctantly just to secure it. I never parked my van there. Rental storage garage units mostly had 7 ft. high doors and no electric hook up. Large boats in my area usually are stored outdoors with tight plastic wrapping, there a plenty on Lake Minnetonka. This developer has 10 complexes. Mine is at Minnetrista, MN 9 miles away from my home. Another one by a different developer, is 3 miles away. There were no units available.

https://www.parkplacestorage.net
Old 04-06-2023, 12:03 AM   #55
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
What spurred me on to find our condo garage was the fact I could find but one outside rental that had an electrical hook up 31 miles away. So I rented it for about 4 months reluctantly just to secure it. I never parked my van there. Rental storage garage units mostly had 7 ft. high doors and no electric hook up. Large boats in my area usually are stored outdoors with tight plastic wrapping, there a plenty on Lake Minnetonka. This developer has 10 complexes. Mine is at Minnetrista, MN 9 miles away from my home. Another one by a different developer, is 3 miles away. There were no units available.

https://www.parkplacestorage.net
The place I used in the Portland area is Bunchs RV https://bunchsrvandboatstorage.com/ Great local place that is family owned with on-site security and etc.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:20 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Bunch Storage is kind of like the place I first rented only they didn't have covered storage which would keep the snow off but not much else when it gets down to -20 degrees F most winters in Minnesota. Our rental had an electrical hookup which I needed for a battery heater to keep lithium batteries above -4 deg. F. I was leery of that unattended. Our garage has a 30A electrical hookup and furnace heat I keep the garage at a minimum of 50 degrees unless I am working there. It's my man cave and wood shop.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:19 AM   #57

Any updates on this? It’s fall now, and time to put all the conjecture to the test.

Here’s my 2 cents. I see all over the place that depreciation for an RV hovers around 30% after the 1st 3 years (Class C/B). Since this seems to be historical, I don’t know how I feel about 2020 Winnebago Solis 59P owners paying $100k for their rigs and then asking $90k used. Yes, I totally get it. We all want lots of money and if I can get what I paid for it, then I’m gonna get it. So prices have not fallen like people here were predicting, but that doesn’t mean it’s still not a bubble.

Counterpoint: 15 year loans do not cover that sort of depreciation. If an RVer is upside down, then I suspect they will just keep it parked and wait it out. I HAVE seen dealers dropping price, but private sellers seems to be holding on. This could potentially last for years, especially when new units are skyrocketing in price (which is a whole other point. How long can that last?!)

Counter counter point:JD power estimates still favor the seller, BUT I remember when used EV’s were through the roof at kbb.com. I dumped my EV for a nice profit because I knew prices were going to correct, then Elon slashed prices and everything came tumbling down. What can happen here?

I have to admit though, my motivation for these opinions are purely personal. I have wanted a camper van for years, and now my wife’s hips can’t handle packing/unpacking/sleeping on the floor anymore. My back isn’t so happy either. But we just don’t have $100k to spend, or even $80. So after all this time waiting for prices to drop, seems like it won’t happen for another year.

Or I can find my unicorn: 2010 RT 190 versatile in pristine condition for $50k…. For that I may abandon my Solis/Aktiv Loft dreams.
Rpgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 12:11 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Everyone should take an all summer trip to Alaska and back to test their Class B chops.
It would certainly be a good test
Old 10-08-2023, 03:20 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpgonzalez View Post
Or I can find my unicorn: 2010 RT 190 versatile in pristine condition for $50k…. For that I may abandon my Solis/Aktiv Loft dreams.
I'd keep my eye on the rigs for sale here:

https://roadtrekchapter.org/roadtreks-for-sale/
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 06:57 PM   #60
Silver Member

I bought my 2018 Paseo new in California, with 2071 miles on it, delivery miles from the factory I assumed. It now has 7035 miles, mostly local trips. My plans of travel have declined as has my wife’s health. I put helper springs and drag wheels on. Going to visit some local dealers to see what it’s worth, but if someone is interested, I would like to hear from you. 707-670-0191 text or voice. I'm in Mendocino County.
Once I get an idea of an asking price, is there an ad section on this site?
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote