Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2023, 10:04 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
Another knock I have about travel trailers is the abysmal quality. I'm sure there are high end trailers out there but the ones I've been in have spongy floors, cabinet doors that feel like they're made of cardboard, poor (or no) insulation, and the cheapest hardware available. They feel like they're one good rain storm away from melting into a muddy pile.
After seeing US Travel Trailers or Caravans we call them here. I was pretty shocked by the abysmal quality and poor design. Defintely a Class B even a used one would be better.
RobRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 01:31 AM   #22
Bronze Member

Default Why people chose a class B

I’ve been into vans since the 70’s. When the family was young, we started with a pop up, then a class C. Years later the kids grew up & was no longer into camping. Husband passed to. Sold my class C as no longer using it. I decided to get back into camping & decided to buy a class B. I don’t need a big rig for me & my dog. My first was a 89 ford falcon. 2 years ago I brought my dream class B, a 01 Roadtrek Versatile. I love it. It seats & sleeps 4. But can seat 8. I use it both as a campervan or a passenger van. It’s the perfect size for me. Plus I can park in the street. I don’t need to pay for storage.
ChristyCappello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 10:37 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Size, maneuverability, fuel economy, less unwasted space, quality of manufacture...
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 02:15 PM   #24
Platinum Member

HI
I didn't read all the replys ,but it looks like you all most have a poll going.
Our reasons, are simple
We didn't want to tow
We're getting to old to tent, (although) tenting is my preference.
We want something small enough to be albe to drive & camp most anywhere
Like the B it's our only RV experance. don't like not having transpertation once set up .
We tend to camp in one spot for 4 or 5 days. We cruise/camp for 2 or 3 months at a time.
Happy/safe camping... on the road again............
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 02:26 PM   #25
Platinum Member

ilmor ..... you found a camper that has "quality of manufacture."
Our experance is not that. 2008 RT 210 pop. Chevy part good, RV parts not so much
BUT
This is our only camping van / RV ever (but from what I read most B's have lots of maimtains,repairs, equipment failure) . So, I'm comparing our van to Boats we have owned/cruised. Boats usualy are consitered a hole etc. Our expewance is RV
are a bigger hole . But one which we are OK with ,I just think RV's could be better.
Anyhow ,happy camping
Michael
Old 07-14-2023, 05:12 PM   #26
Silver Member

Michael, there are a lot of variables in class Bs lives. Age, location, care, storage, bad roads, lack of regular maintenance, lack of funds. Like people buying a horse and not have proper funds or expertise to maintain quality of life for the horse so ends up living on a few acres on what are rundown horse ghettos. My 98 Dodge 190 is in great condition. I have had it 13 years, 2 previous owners, no pets, no kids, always west coast weather. low mileage at 118K. I had it detailed and hand waxed twice. Just part of the maintenance.
Bob
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 05:26 PM   #27
Platinum Member

yep what you say is true. Still from reading here and on RT board people seem to have more troubles than a "quality of manufacture." RV should (IMHO) My comments were just musing and more curiousity as to what RV ilmor has. Maybe I should go back and look at his profile.
I'm glad you a happy with your van. We are happyish with ours. But, by the time we update and replace someone will get themselfs a real nice van.
Take care
Michael
Old 07-15-2023, 02:06 PM   #28

Default ClassB has been great

All the reasons and benefits of a classB as stated are valid. We bought our class B 2000 RT 190P new in July 2000 and have enjoyed every benefit mentioned. We driven it 316,000 miles, been in all the lower 48 and the lower Canadian provinces from Newfoundland to BC.Not mentioned though is the bed. It is our favorite feature as it is very comfortable for us and we sleep extremely well there. So…as we visit people we, stay in their driveway if allowed and minimize our “footprint “. Also, if we have more visitors (large family) than beds at our house we gladly give up our bedroom and go to the van. The generator also helps in recharging systems if we are not plugged in for a few days. After 23 years it’s been so versatile we’re not sure what we’d do without it. (it is also somewhat replaces a pickup truck as it will take some long pretty long pieces of wood from Home depot &#128513 We certainly can’t afford new one these days so keep putting money in this one. Good luck with your search.
GeoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 02:31 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Simple. My parents had a Class C and Class A. I thought they were too big and they couldn't park them at my house when visiting. The Class A was the GMC motorhome which was basically an oversized Class B body wise. So, I dismissed those two classes before I was into RV's. Then I purchased a vintage (1971) Airstream trailer because I liked them. When I towed it home, I couldn't park it. I knew immediately I was trailer dyslexic and made a mistake. My neighbor rescued me and parked it. It was a guest house for a while in my yard.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 02:33 AM   #30

We went from tent camping all of our lives to a pop-up tent trailer a few years ago. Turned out it wasn’t as quick of an up and down set up we were anticipating. I’d been drooling at Road Treks every time I saw one go by, so we finally got a chance at taking the dive to a camper van about a year ago. We bought a 2000 20’ American Cruiser. I guess the biggest differences/advantages for us are: bed, refrigerator, heater, basically being indoors if the weather goes bad. Being mostly accustomed to driving regular to smaller sized vehicles, this is pretty easy to get around in and park. We’re feeling pretty spoiled when going to our comfy bed at night and awaking in the morning with the option of having coffee sitting up in bed usually looking out at a beautiful landscape.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 03:35 PM   #31
Platinum Member

All of the above..

Plus:
Quality, longevity, and resale; being contained in the original steel chassis, a class B will typically outlast class C’s and trailers (no fiberglass, exterior seams, delaminating, etc.) Resale value is almost always better than other types of RV’s.

Parking; A class B (especially a shorter one, or one on a Promaster chassis) has an exceptional turning radius and is easy to maneuver into all but the tightest of parking spots. Class B’s are great transportation to the trailhead, a festival, outdoor markets, or a concert.

Set up and Tear down at the campsite; there virtually is none. Park flat, push the button for the awning, open or close the shades, done.

Use as a second vehicle, cargo hauler; a class B is the only RV that can serve as a daily driver, second car, and a cargo, or “moving van”, we have used ours as all three.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 12:23 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
All of the above..

Plus:
Quality, longevity, and resale; being contained in the original steel chassis, a class B will typically outlast class C’s and trailers (no fiberglass, exterior seams, delaminating, etc.) Resale value is almost always better than other types of RV’s.

Parking; A class B (especially a shorter one, or one on a Promaster chassis) has an exceptional turning radius and is easy to maneuver into all but the tightest of parking spots. Class B’s are great transportation to the trailhead, a festival, outdoor markets, or a concert.

Set up and Tear down at the campsite; there virtually is none. Park flat, push the button for the awning, open or close the shades, done.

Use as a second vehicle, cargo hauler; a class B is the only RV that can serve as a daily driver, second car, and a cargo, or “moving van”, we have used ours as all three.
Good answer.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote