Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2023, 04:43 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default How important is "stealth mode" to you?

I'm starting to notice a few new RVs out there that are doing everything possible to make their campervan seem "invisible" to others.....

No awnings, no solar, cassette toilet, no generator
no markings of any kind. Embassy RV is selling this as a feature.

When does all of these deletions get in the way of being practical.

If you're using the campervan at RV, state and national parks, what difference does it make?

I'm sorry, but, no awning really causes a lot of too sunny days at the campground.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 05:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Don't confuse "stealth" (i.e., an attempt to fool people into not realizing the van is an RV) with "aesthetics" (i.e., the desire for the rig to look as attractive and refined as possible).

I couldn't care less about stealth, but we do care about aesthetics. Nothing says "National Lampoon" more than a van with a huge A/C on the roof, side-walls covered with hatches and vents, copious "Elkhart graffiti", and a huge awning hanging off one side. No thanks.

Our new van has none of this, and I daresay that it was done with zero impact on practicality. We DO have a single solar panel, but it is carefully positioned in the center of the roof to minimize visibility. As for awnings, we had them on both of our previous vans. The first one was used exactly twice in 8 years. We only had one on our Legend because Great West made a clerical error. It was literally NEVER used. Obviously, it was eschewed this time around.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 06:02 PM   #3
Platinum Member

A lot of the stealth features are also practical. Some people prefer to not have propane for practical reasons but that also means no propane port and no big vent cut in the side of the van for the fridge. Using split AC with an undermount condenser not only gets rid of the unsightly roof AC but also reduces height which can help for tree limbs and some garage doors. Awnings are always near the top of warranty claims. I watched two get destroyed in a thunderstorm last week in Kentucky. I prefer a Moonshade because it won't damage the van in a sudden wind. Some people prefer a cassette or composting toilet which has the side benefit of eliminating the outside dump valve. My neighborhood doesn't have an HOA so stealth is nice but not necessary, but I like having an efficient 12v fridge, no roof AC, and no black tank. Other people prefer 3-way fridges, roof AC, and a black tank.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 06:04 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Pete, you think everyone driving around with a rooftop A/C looks like they just came out of a Chevy Chase movie?

I'm trying to be practical here. Yeah, I understand the difference between stealth and aesthetics.

My van has an awning, very few decals, came from Roadtrek and a bicycle rack on the back.

My point is that you can delete so many things for beauty's sake and wind up short changing your camping experience.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 06:16 PM   #5
Platinum Member

As Avanti said aesthetics are different than stealth.

Stealth in itself is kind of a myth I think because most any law enforcement is not going to be fooled and even if it does work, parking where I am not supposed to so I need stealth to do it just doesn't sit right. Ee wouldn't want our street full of seudo plumbing vans that are really campers so why would we do it to others? Flat grey or black slab sided vans with tiny windows aren't attractive to me, but they seem to be in vogue now.

Some campers get to be a bit gawdy, but if that is what folks are OK, why not. We have no issue looking like a camper van because we are one so vents in the side and very useful outside storage is a good thing because we like. We have some graphics that came on it, but they aren't huge or gawdy, but I removed all the dealer and other useless stickers and labels.

Everybody should just get what they want and like, with stealth thrown in to the mix IMO.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 10:03 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Don't confuse "stealth" (i.e., an attempt to fool people into not realizing the van is an RV) with "aesthetics" (i.e., the desire for the rig to look as attractive and refined as possible).
I couldn't care less about stealth, but we do care about aesthetics. Nothing says "National Lampoon" more than a van with a huge A/C on the roof, side-walls covered with hatches and vents, copious "Elkhart graffiti", and a huge awning hanging off one side. No thanks.
………………….
Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
As Avanti said aesthetics are different than stealth.
Stealth in itself is kind of a myth I think because most any law enforcement is not going to be fooled and even if it does work, parking where I am not supposed to so I need stealth to do it just doesn't sit right. Ee wouldn't want our street full of seudo plumbing vans that are really campers so why would we do it to others? Flat grey or black slab sided vans with tiny windows aren't attractive to me, but they seem to be in vogue now.
Some campers get to be a bit gawdy, but if that is what folks are OK, why not. We have no issue looking like a camper van because we are one so vents in the side and very useful outside storage is a good thing because we like. We have some graphics that came on it, but they aren't huge or gawdy, but I removed all the dealer and other useless stickers and labels.
Everybody should just get what they want and like, with stealth thrown in to the mix IMO.
Fully agree. Stealthy airplanes invisible to enemy radars make a lot of sense.
For example stealthy vans next to kindergartens or other children’s facilities just don’t. Jut like Booster stated - “parking where I am not supposed to so I need stealth to do it just doesn't sit right.” – it doesn’t sit right with me as well.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 02:09 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I have a 5% rule. If I don't need or use it at least 5% of the time, I don't want it. An awning fits that description. I have had the graphics and manufacturer's names on the van. I don't need them. It is free advertising with no compensation. I think compressor refrigerators are better than absorption 3-way refrigerators, thus no vents on the side, like wise heating with no vents on the side. Cassette toilets usually require a door to pull out the cassette. No to that idea. You can't see black tanks. Solar is a no go--I had experience. No propane whatsoever. No generator though you can't see that either. I have a SmartPlug under the bumper because it is simple to plug in vs. the traditional bayonet plug. All the necessary connections for dumping and water are in add on black painted steel nerf bars that also integrate steps, storage and act as a side bumper. I consider that a better solution than fiberglass panels. Rooftop does have an air conditioner, a Maxxfan, two skylights and a dome TV antenna filling up most all available space on a short van, but quite stealth if you call it and non-intrusive. I do have a very sophisticated battery and charging system which negates a generator, propane, and solar needs. I don't suffer in amenities. If stealth is that description, it is more simplicity and needless maintenance especially on the exterior. Aesthetics and stealth as it is called is a byproduct. I live in an HOA and going in I knew no van can be parked there so that is not a reason. Boondocking is popular and stealth is not an advantage anywhere I know of. Boondocking is either legal or not for RVs and I am not about to try to fool anyone. I do have a rear passenger quarter panel of glass with no window. I guess that is an aesthetic touch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Mies at Little Bass Lake 2021.jpeg (644.9 KB, 20 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 07:22 PM   #8
Platinum Member

So as the owner of a 1997 PleasureWay in fairly pristine condition, I am a candidate for National Lampoon? A reminder that this RV was state-of-the-art and possessed good aesthetics for its time. I remember when recently camping the guy next to me had a new B and stopped on his way to the john (obviously wasn't using the one in his RV) to talk and asked me the year of my RV and the mileage it got. I told him the only long drive that I watched mpg (New Orleans thru Texas to Phx) I got 16. He went to the john. I went back inside and was getting a beer and he walked by my RV and said (I assume to me although I was inside) "I get 22."
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 01:49 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I went back inside and was getting a beer and he walked by my RV and said (I assume to me although I was inside) "I get 22."
I think he lied unless coming east out of the high plains of the Rocky Mountains with the wind at his back, driving under the speed limit, avoiding cities, one time in a diesel Sprinter. I've had four Sprinters and never got that mileage. 20.5 mpg on a good day in a short 144WB 2WD Sprinter. Usually 19- 19.5 mpg on most fill-ups.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:10 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
So as the owner of a 1997 PleasureWay in fairly pristine condition, I am a candidate for National Lampoon? A reminder that this RV was state-of-the-art and possessed good aesthetics for its time. I remember when recently camping the guy next to me had a new B and stopped on his way to the john (obviously wasn't using the one in his RV) to talk and asked me the year of my RV and the mileage it got. I told him the only long drive that I watched mpg (New Orleans thru Texas to Phx) I got 16. He went to the john. I went back inside and was getting a beer and he walked by my RV and said (I assume to me although I was inside) "I get 22."
If he had 4-cylinder Sprinter 22mpg is valid. With my 6-cylinder Sprinter I get 19-21 mpg, on the recent trip to SW Oregon I got 20.33 mpg total.

Asimba2 from the Sprinter forum writes about his gas mileage on various trips on his converted 4-cylinder Sprinter.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i.../#post-1024943

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...6/#post-807374
Old 07-17-2023, 03:18 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
If he had 4-cylinder Sprinter 22mpg is valid. With my 6-cylinder Sprinter I get 19-21 mpg, on the recent trip to SW Oregon I got 20.33 mpg total.
Agree. Our old rig is an I4. With a little care, 22MPG is perfectly achievable under many conditions. I doubt that I averaged that, but I am not very careful when it comes to economical driving.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:33 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Actually I didn't mean to divert the thread to one on mileage. That wasn't the point of my story. I'm sure most of you understand that.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 03:46 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Don't understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Flat grey or black slab sided vans with tiny windows aren't attractive to me, but they seem to be in vogue now.
I'm with you. I don't understand the stealth thing. Feels like a worn out idea from the 90's. What's behind the need to hide? Hide from what? Tiny windows or no windows at all so you can't see outside. What's the point of doing this to a camper? Add black wheels and the "look" is even stranger.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 04:03 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
I'm with you. I don't understand the stealth thing. Feels like a worn out idea from the 90's. What's behind the need to hide? Hide from what? Tiny windows or no windows at all so you can't see outside. What's the point of doing this to a camper? Add black wheels and the "look" is even stranger.
I completely agree with your larger point, but in fairness, I am not sure that the "small/no windows" thing is primarily motivated by the desire for stealth. The trend seems to have come from the #vanlife gang who need to maximize storage above all else--both for long-term living and for gear. As much as we love windows, there is no denying that they take up huge amounts of internal space that could otherwise be used for cabinets. More than once, I have found myself admiring how much storage has been squeezed into a small van, only to realize that it was done by eliminating windows.

Not for me, but it is a legitimate tradeoff.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:23 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I completely agree with your larger point, but in fairness, I am not sure that the "small/no windows" thing is primarily motivated by the desire for stealth. The trend seems to have come from the @vanlife gang who need to maximize storage above all else--both for long-term living and for gear. As much as we love windows, there is no denying that they take up huge amounts of internal space that could otherwise be used for cabinets. More than once, I have found myself admiring how much storage has been squeezed into a small van, only to realize that it was done by eliminating windows.
Not for me, but it is a legitimate tradeoff.
Agree with the storage capacity vs windows. But there is a risk of claustrophobic inducing cage design if there are not enough windows.
Quote:
Difficult to discuss aesthetics as old Latin maxim “De gustibus non est disputandum” states. For my design the main tradeoffs were between functionalities. Aesthetics in my design boiled down to color scheme and fit and finish.

Stealth never made to my tradeoffs list as I have a fundamental problem with its principals. As you stated hiding from what? “What's behind the need to hide? Hide from what?” It is ironic for van owners claiming their vans stealthiness, while there are giving away details like any roof protrusions or road clearance reducing skirts or no windows forcing low enforcement folks and others to question why is this van parking here. From my perspective a stealthy van would be a passenger van with all non-tinted and not covered glass around.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:49 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Our situation is an interesting example of the claustrophobia issue George mentions.

DW is moderately claustrophobic. When we were looking at vans it became very obvious to us we would have to be careful to make sure she was comfortable in whatever we chose.

Our Roadtrek 190P from 2007 has floor to ceiling cabinets most places with windows in the rear doors, sides by the rear bed, a small one in the driver side kitchen and one in the side entrance door. Nowhere near full windows around the whole van as some like. I feared she would not be comfortable in a van with that much cabinetry, but as it turned out she has no issue at all, and never has from the first walk in. But, if we went in to a van that had all windows down the passenger side and a full floor to ceiling cabinet wall from the driver seat to the rear bed she freaked out even though there was always a window on one side of her.

It appears to be the "balance' of the space in that our van has the entry door nearest the front, then the kitchen window on the other side next, then windows on both sides and the rear so no one sided thing going one. Even I feel a bit unbalanced going into them when I think about it but it doesn't bother me much at all.

Very hard to predict, I think, unless you actually have to live with the claustrophobia. I am glad she could handle our van as the storage space is certainly nice to have.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:22 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
90s? I never saw a black or grey Class B before about 2003 but there were lots of white vans with swoops and swirl graphics with large emblazoned names of the RV manufacturer. You liked that? As for black wheels I think my Black Rhinos are better and better looking than the factory wheels though I got them for weight saving.
Old 07-18-2023, 11:21 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
90s? I never saw a black or grey Class B before about 2003
I was referring to the "stealth" idea. You know, F-117 stealth and all that cool stuff. Or was that the 80's?
Old 07-20-2023, 01:23 PM   #19
Platinum Member

This one parked next to us yesterday and we had a good laugh. Stealth in name only. https://storytelleroverland.com/pages/2023-stealth-mode

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 02:59 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
This one parked next to us yesterday and we had a good laugh. Stealth in name only. https://storytelleroverland.com/pages/2023-stealth-mode
The whole idea of "stealth" and the need to hide is juvenile.