Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Winnebago Solis Pocket campervan

Winnebago has officially introduced their short wheelbase (136") version of the Solis as the Solis Pocket 36A. Features include:
  • Promaster short 18' chassis, no bathroom, fixed roof (no pop-top)
  • Raised Murphy bed with clearance for bikes & gear underneath
  • Truma VarioHeat 3-stage furnace
  • Sealed propane locker w/ std 5 gal cylinder (similar to PW RECON)
  • Internal 20 gal fresh & grey water tanks
  • Truma Gold level cold weather certification
  • 'Enhanced' ground clearance (no water, gen, or propane tanks underneath)
  • Porta-Potti stowed under dinette seat
Interestingly Winnebago's introduction video makes a point of saying this design was inspired by the DIY van movement.
https://www.winnebago.com/models/pro...n/solis-pocket
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Truma Cold Weather certification

Winnebago's Solis Pocket is the first time I've seen Truma's Cold Weather Certification ratings used as a selling point.

Apparently it requires independent thermal testing of the finished RV (by Truma rather than the RV manufacturer) and it will be interesting to see if other manufacturers are willing to submit units for certification.

Pleasure-way RECON and Winnebago EKKO would seem to be other good candidates for certification.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You bet it was inspired by DIY folks and I am glad Winnebago didn’t sleep at the wheel in regards to copying verbatim the DIY designs, it is unfortunate that they still are sleep at the wheel regarding prices. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck, but it isn’t, design wise it is but price wise it is THE WINNEBAGO.

New Promaster retails with RV package like swivel seats, at $35,000. Winnebago retails at $96,000, that is $61,000 for their addition, is it gold, this cost is practically equivalent to 3 Promasters. That is insane, is it exploitative pricing? Sorry for venting.

RV Ready-Prep Package - $3,495
• 16-Inch x 6.0-Inch Aluminum Wheels
• 220-Amp Alternator
• Auxiliary Switches
• Class IV Receiver-Hitch
• Convenience Group
• Driver Swivel Seat
• Passenger Swivel Seat
• Premium Appearance Group
• Rear Heater - A/C Prep Package
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:40 AM   #4
Platinum Member

With eyes open, one can find a better layout in a 20 year old van for 1/5th the price.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:14 AM   #5
Platinum Member

LOL. I think the guys who always think the price of Class B’s is outrageous should take advantage of this and start building the less expensive and fairly priced ones. The market right now with covid would be huge.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:34 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
LOL. I think the guys who always think the price of Class B’s is outrageous should take advantage of this and start building the less expensive and fairly priced ones. The market right now with covid would be huge.
LOVL, it is interesting how DIY community grew over the last several years, not just through Covid time. This size community represents loss for commercial business, loss due to sleeping at the wheel. Now they slowly are waking up and are starting to copy DIY folks. I know well Hein from Hood River who owns business supporting DIY community for Sprinters, Fords and Promasters so I know how this business grew since 2013 when I converted my van.

Somehow in other part of the World other folks can commercially built better camper vans for less money, but they don’t have customers defending high prices with or without knowing that they support commercial business marketing.

I converted my van from the ground up, used top notch materials, components and appliances, I know firsthand how much it cost me. I could build for much less if I used particle board, staple gun and air for insulation but I didn’t.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:31 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I'm with George on this one. That price is straight up highway robbery for what you are getting. But sadly, people are paying this amount, so from a business standpoint, what argument do we have? This is a 50-55k van tops.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:41 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
I'm with George on this one. That price is straight up highway robbery for what you are getting. But sadly, people are paying this amount, so from a business standpoint, what argument do we have? This is a 50-55k van tops.
Agree with the numbers. Argument, in NA only these:

- growing DIY and small mom and pop businesses chipping away the market until a wake-up call

- or wishful thinking that Westfalia CEO, currently managing Roadtrek’s remains, will see the daylight and invest into 21-st century manufacturing technologies to meet the $50-60K prices.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #9
Platinum Member

My bare cargo van cost over $55,000 so you can blow that DIY cost dream out of the water. If you want to poop and pee in a pull out porta pottie in you living space, shower outdoors, essentially have an expensive steel tent and travel like Tom Joad I guess you can go the DIY route

I am of the camp that a Class B is a want not a need. So, I have always sought the best on the market and hadn't quibbled about the cost. I am getting a van that is the state of the art put together by a small firm of 40 people who combine the talents of a leader who has actually extensively traveled in a Class B with every type of craftsman that goes into making an RV--years of experience no single DIYer can equal. I'm getting the state of the art in every RV concept using the best systems available with my design. The only disappointment is, because of these COVID times, I could not actively participate in its building other than email, exchanging drawings, build photo and conference calls. I couldn't be there to say yay or nay or suggest alternatives hands on on the many decisions a DIYer has to go through.

Unlike Winnebago and others, who's decisions are based on keeping bare cost down and capturing the largest market possible with a paring down of a van to the abilities of most DIYers to capture more wants, I am getting the ultimate want. That want has cost me three years but I am convinced if I were to undertake the project as a DIYer it would take me those three years and ultimately not as good. The best and the satisfaction of inputting my primary skills as a designer is my reward. I understand DIY. I designed and built a hands on mortise and tenon, wood pegged, heavy timber frame home including cutting of the timber joints when I could not find anyone else to do it. I didn't have to in this go around with a Class B RV.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:30 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
If you want to poop and pee in a pull out porta pottie in you living space, shower outdoors, essentially have an expensive steel tent and travel like Tom Joad I guess you can go the DIY route.
LOL.. this is true. Only 1 in 100 DIY vans even comes close to a professionally designed and manufactured vehicle. The irony is here we have a professional manufacturer effectively producing a "fake" DIY design. Why anyone would pay $100k+ to get DIY "ethos" is beyond me, but that is how our mixed-up world thinks these days.

I am convinced the marketing departments design these vehicles. People who actually go out and camp in them are not involved.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Appears to me that Winnebago saw the popularity of the Pleasureway Tofino... that doesn't even have a place to put that portipotty... and saw a niche that has been ignored by the major manufacturers for a long time.

This is certainly a more usable floor plan than the standard Westphalia clone. For the price the cabinetry looks awfully cheap in the photos.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:31 PM   #12
Platinum Member

"For the price the cabinetry looks awfully cheap in the photos." Why, that looks like sturdy particle board to me.

Most DIY'ers build a more practical floorplan than that. The only advantage gained from the hassle of making the bed every night is the ability to use the rear doors, and a huge amount of storage is lost in the extra aisle. No, thanks.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:27 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
My bare cargo van cost over $55,000 so you can blow that DIY cost dream out of the water. If you want to poop and pee in a pull out porta pottie in you living space, shower outdoors, essentially have an expensive steel tent and travel like Tom Joad I guess you can go the DIY route

I am of the camp that a Class B is a want not a need. So, I have always sought the best on the market and hadn't quibbled about the cost. I am getting a van that is the state of the art put together by a small firm of 40 people who combine the talents of a leader who has actually extensively traveled in a Class B with every type of craftsman that goes into making an RV--years of experience no single DIYer can equal. I'm getting the state of the art in every RV concept using the best systems available with my design. The only disappointment is, because of these COVID times, I could not actively participate in its building other than email, exchanging drawings, build photo and conference calls. I couldn't be there to say yay or nay or suggest alternatives hands on on the many decisions a DIYer has to go through.

Unlike Winnebago and others, who's decisions are based on keeping bare cost down and capturing the largest market possible with a paring down of a van to the abilities of most DIYers to capture more wants, I am getting the ultimate want. That want has cost me three years but I am convinced if I were to undertake the project as a DIYer it would take me those three years and ultimately not as good. The best and the satisfaction of inputting my primary skills as a designer is my reward. I understand DIY. I designed and built a hands on mortise and tenon, wood pegged, heavy timber frame home including cutting of the timber joints when I could not find anyone else to do it. I didn't have to in this go around with a Class B RV.
Hey Davydd,

You can get a new Promaster 1500 136 for 35k. Winnebago is paying much less than that. And you can for sure build a DIY with a bathroom and a shower and more for MUCH less than this van.

I don't mean to be rude here, but you seem to post a lot with the same message about how great your advanced RV vans are. There is nothing wrong with paying as much as I paid for my home on a B van if you have the money for it. That's your choice and if you have the money, congrats. But the vast majority of us don't. It's not fair to talk down on those that may have different needs for a van and choose to go the DIY route.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:42 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:

This is discussion about a simple camper van from Winnebago on a short wheel base, not its comparison to the best campervan in the World which is of course your design build by the best company in the World, ARV.
Cool off Dave, have a perspective.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:03 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Most DIY'ers build a more practical floorplan than that. The only advantage gained from the hassle of making the bed every night is the ability to use the rear doors, and a huge amount of storage is lost in the extra aisle. No, thanks.
MsNomer are you referring to the Solis Pocket's bike and gear storage area under the raised Murphy bed? That seems like a huge benefit for those of us transporting high end bikes, foldable kayaks, and similar bulky gear.

Of course you could leave the Murphy bed in the down position for a permanent bed solution. But although I can't personally forgo a wet bath, I believe Solis is the only US production Class B with interior bike storage (rear storage in the Solis PX, underbed storage in the Solis Pocket).

That benefit is something I'd like to see in more Class B's.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:05 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Appears to me that Winnebago saw the popularity of the Pleasureway Tofino... that doesn't even have a place to put that portipotty... and saw a niche that has been ignored by the major manufacturers for a long time.

This is certainly a more usable floor plan than the standard Westphalia clone. For the price the cabinetry looks awfully cheap in the photos.
We have Westfalia layout and for our needs with 7 years experience didn't find any reason to change. Having a garage could sway me to a different layout but we don't need a garage and like a very spacious van. So why this comment ? "more usable floor plan than the standard Westphalia" Spelling - it is Westfalia.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
"For the price the cabinetry looks awfully cheap in the photos." Why, that looks like sturdy particle board to me.

Storage <> living space <> making bed every night are design tradeoffs for all of us.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:29 PM   #18
Site Team

Moderators' note:

Please keep all comments about the RVs, not about other members. If you find yourself typing a second-person personal pronoun, stop and think before pressing "send".
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:31 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
MsNomer are you referring to the Solis Pocket's bike and gear storage area under the raised Murphy bed? That seems like a huge benefit for those of us transporting high end bikes, foldable kayaks, and similar bulky gear.

Of course you could leave the Murphy bed in the down position for a permanent bed solution. But although I can't personally forgo a wet bath, I believe Solis is the only US production Class B with interior bike storage (rear storage in the Solis PX, underbed storage in the Solis Pocket).

That benefit is something I'd like to see in more Class B's.
Those inside bike storage vans where you put the bed away Murphy style or temporarily elevating the bed Revel style, or any other temporary put aside where do you put those high end bikes at night? It seems the FitRV couple got tired of that conundrum in their two previous Class B vans and have resigned to a Class C.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:49 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Those inside bike storage vans where you put the bed away Murphy style or temporarily elevating the bed Revel style, or any other temporary put aside where do you put those high end bikes at night?
David you have correctly identified the problem for currently available US designs. Winnebago's original Travato 59G and Solis used Murphy beds that fold up for daytime bike storage, but the bikes must be removed for sleeping. Thor uses a pull-out rear bed on their Sequence/Tellaro 20A models with similar limitations.

Revel's rear lift bed nicely raises up for plenty of storage clearance during the day. However the cross-wise bed must be lowered at night to match the flare bump-out extensions for full sleeping length. Once again bikes or large gear must be removed at night.

The closest we have in the US are the VanDoiT Transit with lengthwise rear lift bed, but it's more a hard core adventure van with no inside bathroom or permanent plumbing system. Or this new Solis Pocket with raised Murphy bed which does allow inside bike storage, but again without bathroom/shower facilities.

Some Canadian and European designs, such as the Safari Condo XL Flex, have a better solution with a lengthwise lift bed that can be fully raised during the day, then lowered to just above the bikes/gear for sleeping at night. And the bedding remains permanently made up, a convenient plus. I would love to see that system become available in US models.