Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 02:46 AM   #1

Default Loud buzz

Hello out there.
The house battery was drained on my - new to me ‘95 Roadtrek Versatile.
I wasn’t sure about the shore power yet so I hooked up a trickle charger.
When I later checked on it a sound similar, but not as intense as a co2 detector, was buzzing steady with no detectable source.
It stopped when the battery was unhooked.
Tried a new battery, still buzzed.

Did I damage something in the charging system using a trickle charger?
Propane still flows to cook stove.

Thanks
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:04 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Hello out there.
The house battery was drained on my - new to me ‘95 Roadtrek Versatile.
I wasn’t sure about the shore power yet so I hooked up a trickle charger.
When I later checked on it a sound similar, but not as intense as a co2 detector, was buzzing steady with no detectable source.
It stopped when the battery was unhooked.
Tried a new battery, still buzzed.

Did I damage something in the charging system using a trickle charger?
Propane still flows to cook stove.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum Garry!

Maybe someone here can help you (just not me). But keep trying to find the source of the buzzing as that will surely help determine what's going on.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:10 AM   #3

I’ll keep trying to find the source but it just fills the entire van.
Maybe I can feel a vibration.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Perhaps it is coming from the power center/charger (probably under the back drivers' side lounge seat)? Relays can buzz when on shore power, though probably not otherwise.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:16 PM   #5
Platinum Member

There may be a carbon monoxide detector that has gone bad, or expired out. Many of these are not battery powered, but are powered by 12V house power. They have a certain life expectancy and some will alert you when they have "died".

You will want to go though every square inch of your new van - learn about every system onboard (plumbing, electrical, propane, etc) and how each one operates.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member

turn off the battery connection to the coach while you are trying to charge it

you are supplying low voltage to a number of components, some of which may suffer damage

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:01 PM   #7
Platinum Member

You might try turning off all of the breakers and if the noise stops turn them on one at a time until you hear the noise. At least you can narrow down your search for the culprit.
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:37 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBad View Post
You might try turning off all of the breakers and if the noise stops turn them on one at a time until you hear the noise. At least you can narrow down your search for the culprit.
The 12V system should use fuses. So, pull the fuses one by one.

If you need to replace the CO detector, instead of a detector powered by the 12V system get a much less expensive battery-powered one.

There is a propane detector that could be bad. It should be in the vicinity of the water heater and space heater.

The trickle charger isn't going to damage any 12V devices in the van. But if something is using power, the battery will charge quicker if disconnected.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBad View Post
Ideally you’d check the voltage with a little cheap voltage meter (which IMHO every RVer should have) and confirm it’s somewhere over 12v.

I’m also thinking you have low voltage to a solenoid device (like battery separator). My suggestion, and default troubleshooting starting point, is to start looking at things while on shore power. Presuming you have a household (15amp) outlet adapter, you can plug the van in with any extension cord. You will then have full power 13-14 volts coming out of your converter to eliminate any low voltage symptoms.

If your batteries were ‘dead’ for a long period, a trickle charger won’t provide enough juice to charge them up. You need a full charge, after confirming that they aren’t dry (if lead acid batteries). If you open one of the battery caps and you can see the edges of plates, rather than fluid, then they need to be topped up until we’ll immersed with the addition of distilled water. Note that the fluid in the battery is strong (sulphuric) acid so take care not to splash or overfill.

Good luck!
bertible is offline   Reply With Quote