Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 01:11 AM   #141
Platinum Member

Default 1st Dry Camping Experience

Just returned from 2 days and nights in the Boise National Forest. Here's some impressions.

1-The swivel seats are a little difficult. You have to adjust things like seat back position, position of the seat (whether slid too far forward or too far back) and sometimes seat height to make sure the seats will swivel without colliding with the table, fire extinguisher or door pillar. It's not a big deal, except for the seat back adjustment which will pitch you through the windshield if you're not careful. Just be aware that a seat adjusted for driving may not be in the right position to turn around. I give them a B.

2-Tank capacity was fine for two people spending 2 days and 2 nights. Plenty of fresh water and grey and black tank capacity left, possibly enough for a couple of more days, easily one more. It was so fricken' hot that we ran the gen. and A/C fairly often so I can't comment on battery capacity. A.

3-I'm going to make some reflectix window covers like Wincrasher (http://www.classbforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3634). The shades and stock covers don't fit tight enough for my taste and they to nothing about keeping heat out or in. The front shade I use is a little thin. I'll keep it but as soon as ADCO makes one, I'll get it. Stock shades get a B+.

4-The screens will not keep out all the bugs. None of then fit well, including the sliding door screen, and the mesh in the windows is too coarse. Better than no screen, but the window screen frames should at least be the same shape as the opening. Close doesn't work. The door screen doesn't fit as well as it could along the front door pillar. I will fix those issues, but I shouldn't have to. C+

5-Fun and spontaneous for travel. You can pull off anywhere, make u-turns, park almost anywhere without worrying about if you fit or not. A.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:38 AM   #142
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

eric, the front swivel seats in all the class B's are somewhat of a pain to deal with sometimes. The PM swivels are much easier to use than the seats in a Sprinter. That's a wrestling match most of the time.
Agree with you on the shades. They aren't the best setup for sure. We've done the Reflectix and some modifications to the surrounds to take care of the gaps. It's a Winnebago, all class B's thing.
I had to go around to all the operable windows, pull all the screens out, slightly bend the tabs that hold them in, and reinstall in their openings with some rejiggering required. Another RV thing, not just WGO's, that use these windows.
Some friends of ours that have an ERA just like ours, did the screen thing like I did, and actually caulked around the screen edges to hold in position. That's an extreme fix though.

That red is growing on me, looking good

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:57 AM   #143
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
eric, the front swivel seats in all the class B's are somewhat of a pain to deal with sometimes. The PM swivels are much easier to use than the seats in a Sprinter. That's a wrestling match most of the time.
Agree with you on the shades. They aren't the best setup for sure. We've done the Reflectix and some modifications to the surrounds to take care of the gaps. It's a Winnebago, all class B's thing.
I had to go around to all the operable windows, pull all the screens out, slightly bend the tabs that hold them in, and reinstall in their openings with some rejiggering required. Another RV thing, not just WGO's, that use these windows.
Some friends of ours that have an ERA just like ours, did the screen thing like I did, and actually caulked around the screen edges to hold in position. That's an extreme fix though.

That red is growing on me, looking good
Well, that's somewhat reassuring. I know I didn't buy the most expensive Class B out there. Things like the screens and shades are fixable and I like dickin' with things like that.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-02-2015, 02:29 AM   #144
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Just returned from 2 days and nights in the Boise National Forest. Here's some impressions.

4-The screens will not keep out all the bugs. None of then fit well, including the sliding door screen, and the mesh in the windows is too coarse. Better than no screen, but the window screen frames should at least be the same shape as the opening. Close doesn't work. The door screen doesn't fit as well as it could along the front door pillar. I will fix those issues, but I shouldn't have to. C+
I have camped on Ocracoke Island (NPS-no hookups) for 40+ years. Just did Florida Panhandle and SC this spring. No-see-ums (those minuscule bugs who fly thru the mosquito netting) are a fact of life camping in those places. Especially early am, no wind, humidity up. Have seen many people in pop-ups, class A, B, C dry camping, i.e no hookups to run the A/C, wake in the am and wonder what the hell bit them all night.

I have not seen"no-see-um" screening on the RVs I have seen and do not see it on any Class B option lists (unless maybe custom). Almost every backpacking tent and screen house has it. What do they know that the RV guys don't?

We retro-fitted (my wife hand sewed the new netting on the poptop) all the screens on our VW EVC with no-see-um netting. With fans, we sleep un-bitten. You may just have to consider doing a retrofit on your screens. If you want to dry camp you will need no-see-um netting IMHO.

Not all netting labeled "no-see-ums" works. There is a minimum mesh count you need. Skeeta is a good brand (Amazon), but a bit light. Best is to take an old Eureka screen house and recycle that screening.

ps - your Travato looks wonderful!!!!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:45 AM   #145
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
I have camped on Ocracoke Island (NPS-no hookups) for 40+ years. Just did Florida Panhandle and SC this spring. No-see-ums (those minuscule bugs who fly thru the mosquito netting) are a fact of life camping in those places. Especially early am, no wind, humidity up. Have seen many people in pop-ups, class A, B, C dry camping, i.e no hookups to run the A/C, wake in the am and wonder what the hell bit them all night.

I have not seen"no-see-um" screening on the RVs I have seen and do not see it on any Class B option lists (unless maybe custom). Almost every backpacking tent and screen house has it. What do they know that the RV guys don't?

We retro-fitted (my wife hand sewed the new netting on the poptop) all the screens on our VW EVC with no-see-um netting. With fans, we sleep un-bitten. You may just have to consider doing a retrofit on your screens. If you want to dry camp you will need no-see-um netting IMHO.

Not all netting labeled "no-see-ums" works. There is a minimum mesh count you need. Skeeta is a good brand (Amazon), but a bit light. Best is to take an old Eureka screen house and recycle that screening.

ps - your Travato looks wonderful!!!!
Thanks.

We sleep with the vent fan on at night and a window open for ventilation.

My initial thought was to reverse the flow of the vent fan. Fantastic fan makes an upgrade to do this. The screen on the vent van fits very well and it would be a piece of cake to get something with a finer mesh like you mentioned and install it in place of the factory screen. Then, the air flow from the ceiling vent would flow out of the open window from inside the van and blow the little no-see-ums away. They're not very strong flyers and shouldn't be able to navigate against the blast from the fan.

At least that's my theory.
Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #146
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks.

We sleep with the vent fan on at night and a window open for ventilation.

My initial thought was to reverse the flow of the vent fan. Fantastic fan makes an upgrade to do this. The screen on the vent van fits very well and it would be a piece of cake to get something with a finer mesh like you mentioned and install it in place of the factory screen. Then, the air flow from the ceiling vent would flow out of the open window from inside the van and blow the little no-see-ums away. They're not very strong flyers and shouldn't be able to navigate against the blast from the fan.

At least that's my theory.
Eric
Sounds like it might work, though I think it might be cooler on a hot night exhausting the hot air out the top of the van and bringing in cooler air from the window next to your bed.

Are the window screens removable? If so - like on the EVC - they may just be aluminum frames that hold the screening in with a spline, which would make it easy to replace the screen.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #147
Platinum Member

Eric- i have a zion -promaster.

i use Skreenz in the 2 front door windows- works great

http://www.skreenz.com/what_are_skreenz.htm
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #148
Platinum Member

Quote:
Are the window screens removable? If so - like on the EVC - they may just be aluminum frames that hold the screening in with a spline, which would make it easy to replace the screen.
The screens are removable but the frames fit so poorly, I was thinking it wouldn't be worth the effort to upgrade the material. I haven't really looked close at them (been too hot to go outside and play) so they might be easily rectified.

I see your point about the air flow direction and eliminating the higher, hotter air.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #149
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Eric- i have a zion -promaster.

i use Skreenz in the 2 front door windows- works great

http://www.skreenz.com/what_are_skreenz.htm
Thanks for the link, Gerry. That's also a possibility. Got any pics of them on your Zion?

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #150
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link, Gerry. That's also a possibility. Got any pics of them on your Zion?

Eric
I considered the Skreenz, too, but the 20x20 mesh (400/sq. inch) will not stop no-see-ums - need more like 800-900/sq. inch.

My wife used the Skeeta brand netting and made door window screens just like Skreenz; we use magnetic sheet to hold them in place. Can post photos if you want
Old 07-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #151
Platinum Member

I thought the side window screens fit pretty well. The sliding door screen I had to adjust a bit, but I got it working really well. The bristles on the end are alittle stiff, so soften them up so the rest of the door will seal.

For the reflectix covers, use the stock front window cover as a guide - but cut it a good 1/2" larger along the top - that will give you 100% coverage. Better yet, install the stock cover, see where any gaps may be and take note off that when you cut your reflectix.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #152
Platinum Member

Quote:
I considered the Skreenz, too, but the 20x20 mesh (400/sq. inch) will not stop no-see-ums - need more like 800-900/sq. inch.

My wife used the Skeeta brand netting and made door window screens just like Skreenz; we use magnetic sheet to hold them in place. Can post photos if you want
Yup. I'd love to see photos if you get the chance.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #153
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
...The sliding door screen I had to adjust a bit, but I got it working really well. The bristles on the end are alittle stiff, so soften them up so the rest of the door will seal...
Mine doesn't seal real well on along the top 10-12 inches. Is that how yours was? How did you soften up the bristles as I see that that might allow the top to move closer to the door pillar and seal better.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #154
Platinum Member

All sliding door screens I have seen so far are designed for mosquitos and flies as are the awning window opening screens. We have a combo screen at the sliding door. The accordion sliding door screen mesh is standard screening. The fixed screen over our kitchen galley part is no-seeum. Also our our back doors screen is no-seeum mesh. If you have to come and go from your B for any reason expect the pesky bugs to get in anyway.

I have a reverse MaxxAir fan option. I hadn't thought about whether that would keep no-seeums coming in. That might be worth a try.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #155
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I have a reverse MaxxAir fan option. I hadn't thought about whether that would keep no-seeums coming in. That might be worth a try.
I know with the normal out the roof air flow direction, I can suck small gnats into the coach. I just thought creating a positive pressure inside the coach would keep them out.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-03-2015, 01:48 AM   #156
Platinum Member

We've woke up some mornings with the vent fan screen pretty much covered with gnats and mosquitos. We always run it on the out setting. Worst was Skidaway State park in Savannah, GA in September.
We always try to kill all the gnats and mosquitos we can after coming in for the last time in the evening. Sometimes doesn't work for all night....

Old 07-03-2015, 01:52 AM   #157
Platinum Member

Here's Ron Lichtsinn's fresh video on the new 2016 59G with all the new stuff. Nice upgrades...

Old 07-03-2015, 02:12 AM   #158
Platinum Member

Quote:

Eric
sorry i don't . also i can't speak for others as far as no-see ums. Skreenz site says it stops thems and so far i've had no issues
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #159
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
Here's Ron Lichtsinn's fresh video on the new 2016 59G with all the new stuff. Nice upgrades...
Yes, nice upgrades. 100 watt panel with a optional 2nd portable panel, Truma Combi heating and hot water , black tank flush system, 2 Group 31 size AGM batteries, Froli sleep system.....

Now you get to simply choose between the 59K and 59G floorplans and not the components.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #160
Platinum Member

Except the fridge. That's your big differentiator.

I am curious as to where you'd put a second panel on the roof of either model. It looks like there isn't room unless you delete stuff.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote