Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #521
Bronze Member

I just called Zamp solar. They do not have nor have they ever had ‘poly’ panels. They assured me that if it is a Zamp panel, then it is mono construction. FWIW.
Roxy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #522
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy4x4 View Post
I just called Zamp solar. They do not have nor have they ever had ‘poly’ panels. They assured me that if it is a Zamp panel, then it is mono construction. FWIW.

I have magnified a photo from another Travato owner.
The Winnebago OEM panel is a mono.
The background is black, that's why it looks like a poly.
If you look carefully, you can see the cut-out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171016 17.14.jpg (326.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #523
Platinum Member

I can see the cutouts indeed, what is interesting that these cells are not squarish, could be yield increasing process in manufacturing if one edge of the wafer is damaged.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #524
BBQ
Platinum Member

One interesting observation is how the cells are connected.

That means a small shadow can reduce the output by as much as 50%.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171016 17.14.jpg (280.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-16-2017, 10:01 PM   #525
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruch View Post
I had no idea this solar panel thing was so complicated. After reading these comments, I have a few questions about solar panels and the Travato....At what point are you overloading the system with too many panels? Thanks.
The ZS-30A solar controller in the Travato says "Suitable for Solar panels up to 510 Watts". There are 3 plugs on the roof and one on the side for portable. 510 W is reasonable limit for the available roof surface. Fit RV got 300W on their 59G and I think it would be hard to get more than 280 on a 59K unless you started taking protrusions off the roof.

If you add a Zamp panel, it is plug and play. It's not complicated. Their latest panel has a nice frame with a channel, similar to the rack crossbars. Zamp shows a big guy dancing on the 100W somewhere on youtube. The main issue is getting it up there. We mounted our 2 100's between the rack crossbars on the garage floor. The two of us were able to lift the assembly to the roof, starting from some saw horses with a brief pause on the bucket shelves of 2 facing step ladders. We were doubtful, but got them up the first try without any drama.
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:02 PM   #526

I have a 70c. Seating area is very roomy with the addition of an ottoman however fold out sofa bed is not comfortable. Any suggestions
Michaelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:39 AM   #527
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saldar View Post
The ZS-30A solar controller in the Travato says "Suitable for Solar panels up to 510 Watts". There are 3 plugs on the roof and one on the side for portable. 510 W is reasonable limit for the available roof surface. Fit RV got 300W on their 59G and I think it would be hard to get more than 280 on a 59K unless you started taking protrusions off the roof.

If you add a Zamp panel, it is plug and play. It's not complicated. Their latest panel has a nice frame with a channel, similar to the rack crossbars. Zamp shows a big guy dancing on the 100W somewhere on youtube. The main issue is getting it up there. We mounted our 2 100's between the rack crossbars on the garage floor. The two of us were able to lift the assembly to the roof, starting from some saw horses with a brief pause on the bucket shelves of 2 facing step ladders. We were doubtful, but got them up the first try without any drama.
I think there is a way to get 360 watts on a K. If you have two 100 watt Zamps on the rear portion, side by side, you can add two 80 watt Zamp panels, one on each side of the air conditioning unit. You just run the two 80 watt Zamp panels wiring together in a parallel run. That one parallel wired lead now hooks to the third port of the Zamp combiner box. Parallel wiring keeps the voltage the same and only adds amps, and in this case well within the Zamp controller limit.

I did the measuring (80 watt panel specs) for the neighbour and ran it by the Zamp techie to ensure I wasn’t smoking too much crack.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:10 AM   #528
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

One interesting observation is how the cells are connected.

That means a small shadow can reduce the output by as much as 50%.

The panel buts right against the AC plus there is a crossbar right above the panel. Interesting.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #529
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
The panel buts right against the AC plus there is a crossbar right above the panel. Interesting.
In the old days WBO mounted the standard 100W panel to the roof even when you bought the rack. Ordering late last year, I had to insist to get mine mounted on the rack so I could rearrange. Now rack mount might be standard. Mounted on the 59K rack two 100's are very clear of shadows.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #530
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy4x4 View Post
I think there is a way to get 360 watts on a K. If you have two 100 watt Zamps on the rear portion, side by side, you can add two 80 watt Zamp panels, one on each side of the air conditioning unit. You just run the two 80 watt Zamp panels wiring together in a parallel run.
Roxy4x4, if you mount the long Zamp 80 Watters please let us know how you did it and how it works.

I'm not clear on the the rack crossbar layout to accomplish adding both 80Ws -- a puzzle. Dealing with the awning along one side also boggles me. Plus, those two panels will butt against the AC, and so unless at high noon at least one will be quite shaded. Shade really affects their output (from a loss more than proportional to shading area, to zero). Since these Zamp panels are expensive, I've decided to hold off on this upgrade. I didn't know you could wire the panels together to get 4 panels on the 3 plugs.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #531
Platinum Member

Quote:
....................................I didn't know you could wire the panels together to get 4 panels on the 3 plugs.
Using low contact resistance and waterproof MC4 connectors will allow for multiple ways to connect, parallel or in series if you have MPPT charge controller. I am not sure how water resistant are automotive plugs loaded with dielectric grease used by Zamp.
https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...rs-cables.html
Old 10-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #532
Bronze Member

Quote:
Roxy4x4, if you mount the long Zamp 80 Watters please let us know how you did it and how it works.
I will let you know if she wants to go ahead with it. My thoughts to her included running a piece of aluminum angle on each side of the 80 watters, which would be cut and drilled and then attached to her racks. Keeps everything compact and more than enough strength and attachment points.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:45 AM   #533
Bronze Member

Well she wants to go with two more 80 watters. So she is going to order two more Zamp 80’s and have them shipped to Sumas, WA. It may be a while though before she is able to pick them up etc.

Looking at the ‘expansion panel’ she added, it has a different frame than the stock Winnebago solar panel / frame. (Apparently, WBO has the original black panels / old style frame that a person can order should that be of interest).

What I noticed and what may make sense more than running an aluminum angle under each side of the 80 watters, is simply using the new feet that these Zamp panels come with. They would attach to the end of the panels and could easily be attached to the roof rack. The ‘new feet’ actually would elevate the panels a couple of inches, so would reduce shading from the air conditioning unit.

Tell me if I am wrong here... just thinking out loud... If the two 80 watt panels are wired together in a parallel run to the third port of the combiner box, if shading happens on either of the two 80 watt panels, it wouldn’t affect the other 100 watt panels (if they are in full sun).
Old 10-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #534
Bronze Member

Default No longer space to add solar panels

one of the. Sales consultant at the RV store in. Iowa that you can no longer expand Solar panels on the new models of Travato because of the roof rack. Is this true? Does not make sense. I think he is clueless

How much can I add? How do I make sure my appliances are running off the inverter? What is standard inverter for 2018? What should I upgrade to?

I want to do as Fit RV has done and no longer have need for generator. Will this require alternator in engine? Is that what he did? Thanks
Cryptofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #535
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptofit View Post
one of the. Sales consultant at the RV store in. Iowa that you can no longer expand Solar panels on the new models of Travato because of the roof rack. Is this true? Does not make sense. I think he is clueless

How much can I add? How do I make sure my appliances are running off the inverter? What is standard inverter for 2018? What should I upgrade to?

I want to do as Fit RV has done and no longer have need for generator. Will this require alternator in engine? Is that what he did? Thanks
2018 model still has room for additional panels on the roof / with the roof rack. Yes he is clueless. You can depending on the model add at least another 100 watt panel and likely more. It really depends on how you configure things up top.

Yes James added another alternator and lithium batteries among other tweeks to the electrical system. There are videos on his/their FitRV site you can watch.

What Travato are you looking at that has a stock inverter in it? Anyway, you should go watch all of the FitRV videos, as there (with all due respect) seems to be some gaps in what you need to know before going forward.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #536
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

He is clueless.
But don't blame him, most of the RV salespeople are clueless.

Travato does not come with an inverter.

Before you jump head first into upgrading, upgrading and upgrading,
try to enjoy your RV "as is" first.
Many many many many people have success enjoying the OEM equipment without jumping into the mirage new-tech. Don't be a marketing man's dream.

The FitRV is an experiment. It is an advertising machine. It is not reality.

ps. many newbies falsely believe that an inverter is a must have for comfortable RVing.

Actually, RVing is a new lifestyle. You need to rethink your daily routines -- how to make do with less, and how to make do with what is readily available. Spending money on all the new tech is not the answer, because new tech inevitably brings new problems.

Just my 2c.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #537
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

What kind of appliances do you need to run off the inverter?

Cellphone charger?
Computer adapter?
CPAP machine?

anything else?

How many watts altogether?
Old 10-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #538
Platinum Member

I would agree with BBQ, find out what you need/want before you go into lots of changes and expense.

Your style will quickly tell you what you need to enjoy your RV to the max. It may or may not include lots of power options.

We have lots of batteries, engine generator, solar, bit inverter/charger, but no lithium. Works well for us but would be way overkill for probably a majority of RVers.

BBQ mentioned inverter need, which often comes up. We use our inverter almost exclusively to run the microwave when on batteries, very rarely a hairdryer--the rest of the time it is off. The rest of the mods are to allow extended off grid living, which we prefer. You will be able to 12v adapters for almost everything else you need to run, so just having a small plug in inverter for any odd stuff works well for many people.

We have members here that use upwards of 300ah per day with huge systems to support that use, and we also have members that can stay offgrid for days with one battery and no solar, and both extremes are happy, so lots of range there.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #539
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

The FitRV is an experiment. It is an advertising machine. It is not reality.
What is not reality? Just about everything they added was standard on Advanced RVs.

Insulation
Second alternator
Lithium ion batteries
VB Air Suspension
E&P hydraulic levelers
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #540
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
What is not reality? Just about everything they added was standard on Advanced RVs.

Insulation
Second alternator
Lithium ion batteries
VB Air Suspension
E&P hydraulic levelers

Hahaha the ARV is not reality either. It is also an experiment, a WIP. Work-In-Progress.