Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2023, 10:09 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default e-bike rack info & suggestions please

I am looking for a two bike rack, hitch mounted. (have a City Commuter and Comfort Cruiser). Prefer platform style. The two e-bikes weigh approx. 55 pounds each.

My challenge is the external spare tire on a RoadTrek van. Any how, I have a center hitch receiver and need the rack to clear the hard sided tire cover. That is approx. 12 inches from the lip of the receiver to outside of the cover. The attached photos will give you an idea of what I am talking about if you're not familiar with the RoadTrek Poplar configuration. Anyone have any success or failure with a particular model rack, particularly considering the external tire hiccup. Thanks in advance for any and all information.

1. Any particular rack folks like or don't like? and
2. Any one have experience with a rack and needed it to clear a spare tire, etc? Thanks in advance for any advice......
Kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 10:53 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

I have one heaver ebike, and it resides behind a 05/04 190P. It sits on a platform that I made for a SwingAway Hitch Frame:

https://www.stowaway2.com/swingaway-hitch-frame

The handle bar goes over the spare tire! The entire platform is only 24 inches, and 2 bikes would not be much more for 2 bikes. And you can swing it out.

Have fun shopping.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 12:44 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Here's a link to a little review I did here on Classbforum. LINK

It's the Afterparty swing away from Rockymounts. It's really hard to predict if it would work for you, but it's been a great rack for us. Perhaps you could find a local vendor to try it out.
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 04:24 PM   #4
JML
Bronze Member

Have you considered putting in a hitch at the front of the van? I have a 2013 PW Excel and installed a front hitch. It is bolted in and secure. With the handlebars folded it does not impede your vision, but it will block the headlights some, so we don't drive much at night. (Twice for less than an hour total in five years.) I had a Thule platform rack that I had to replace with a Hollywood rack due to getting heavier e-bikes. I liked the Thule. I am thinking about getting a Quikr rack (or similar) - expensive but I'm getting old and the arms and hands don't work as well as they used to. E-trailer was my hitch source - very helpful staff that ensures you get a product that works for your rig.
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 05:15 PM   #5

The Rockymount Backstage is pricey, but it is fantastic. I have it mounted on the 4” hitch on my Winnebago Travato and carry two e-bikes that weigh move than 100 pounds together. I have 10,000 miles on the rack - trips from Florida to the Rocky Mountains, dirt roads, back roads, highways - and multiple trips from Florida to Nova Scotia. It swings open and gives me access to both rear doors. Pricey, but priceless. Never have to worry about my expensive e-bikes.
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 05:23 PM   #6
Bronze Member

you need to get a hitch extender. I use one to clear my spare tire. My 1Up rack folds down to clear the door. They make one of the best racks you can get. https://1up-usa.com/product-category/bike-racks/
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 05:36 PM   #7

Yes, you will need a hitch extender to clear a spare tire - whether you need a spare tire or not is a controversial discussion. I’ve gone 200K miles without one, including two trips to Alaska and back. I had a swing down bike rack on my Travato and it worked fine for one bike but not for two. The wheels of the outside bike hit the ground before the rack fully extended. I was afraid of damaging the wheels and I could not get the doors open.
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 05:47 PM   #8

Default Kuat V2

I have a Kuat V2 that works great for heavy ebikes. Because it has two support arms with space between them (unlike all other carriers that have one support arm), I can load the first ebike without reaching over the back carrier. It is rated for two bikes at 60 lb each. The carrier itself is 37 lbs (2 bike carrier). I have a spare tire on the back of my Leisure Travel Sprinter and the bike clears because I have a Kuat Pivot V2 swing away that spaces the carrier further out and allows quick and easy to the back doors. I have traveled thousands of trouble free miles with it. Here is the website https://www.kuat.com/product/transfer-v2/
ripaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 12:17 AM   #9
Bronze Member

I have a Roadtrek 210-with the continental spare tire at the back. Need to add an extender to your hitch. I purchased the Thule T2 Pro XTR needed to upgrade as now have an e-bike. The carrier has to be rv approved and also handle the weight of per bike as per each manufacturer. I did a lot of research before getting the rack I have. I am 73 yrs old female the weight getting the bike on the rack is another issue but I made a ramp that works great and I can handle it myself.
The bike rack has built in locks for the bikes as well as a lock for the hitch plus the extender I got has an anti rattle and lock. I can open the right back door with the bikes on the rack as they can be lowered very easily. I don’t bother with the other door as nothing easy about lowering that spare tire. I can do it if I have to but what a pain.
treker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 11:57 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I have been really happy with our RockyMounts AfterParty swing away. Here is a little review I wrote on this forum: AfterParty

Spec: Carries 2 bikes, up to 60 lbs per tray Not sure if it will clear a spare, however, but it does sit the bikes well away from the van.

JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 12:54 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions everyone. Thought I would give an update in case anyone is searches this topic looking for ideas.

I went with the Hollywood e-bike rack (Model 1500). Turns out I did not need an extender after all, though with a wider handlebar on the bike and it would have. (side note: one of our bikes have wide handle bars, the other not so much, so it matters in which order they get loaded). Out of an abundance of caution I do use a little pool noodle type foam to cushion in case of bumpy roads. The rack design however holds the bikes quite steady and there really isn't much play.

One other observation. I found the Hollywood support people to be very helpful. They had great published resources on their website. The phone support guy was very familiar with Class B's. Plus, they give a 20% discount for teachers and first responders, when purchased direct. That saved me $100. Plus no-charge shipping. Happy RV'ing everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Van Rack1.jpg (125.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Van Rack2.jpg (150.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-18-2023, 03:25 PM   #12
Bronze Member

We use this rack with our Lectric XP 3.0 bikes

Swagman E-SPEC RV & eBike Approved Hitch Mount Bike Rack
Swishewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:27 PM   #13
Bronze Member

We use this on our Roadtrek for our two Lectric XP 3.0 bikes. No problem with the spare tire.
Swagman E-SPEC RV & eBike Approved Hitch Mount Bike Rack
Swishewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 04:20 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegan View Post
I am looking for a two bike rack, hitch mounted. (have a City Commuter and Comfort Cruiser). Prefer platform style. The two e-bikes weigh approx. 55 pounds each.

My challenge is the external spare tire on a RoadTrek van. Any how, I have a center hitch receiver and need the rack to clear the hard sided tire cover. That is approx. 12 inches from the lip of the receiver to outside of the cover. The attached photos will give you an idea of what I am talking about if you're not familiar with the RoadTrek Poplar configuration. Anyone have any success or failure with a particular model rack, particularly considering the external tire hiccup. Thanks in advance for any and all information.

1. Any particular rack folks like or don't like? and
2. Any one have experience with a rack and needed it to clear a spare tire, etc? Thanks in advance for any advice......
Is your Roadtrek mounted on a Dodge frame, and what is the year ?
Blueboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 05:16 PM   #15
Bronze Member

2008 Chevy. Luckily I've located a rack. Hollywood e-bike rack (model 1500). Fits great even with the externally mounted spare.