Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieps View Post
UPDATE: My suspension update is complete. The issue I had with fitting the AirLift bags was the 1 1/2" lift block that (I think) was added by Roadtrek. Tough to describe but it has an additional piece welded on the side that prevented the bags from going into place. Fortunately, my shop had a set of blocks without that additional piece so everything fell into place with those new blocks.

Without playing with airbag pressure, the lift increased about 3 1/4" which is more than I planned. I think someone mentioned this is more lift than some of the early upgrades with the Moog 81004 springs. I can say it feels like a lot. The step up to enter the cab is very noticeable and the additional height from the drivers seat view is also noticeable but that's easy enough to get used to.

We are on a statewide lockdown so I've only been able to drive it from the shop to home (four miles) so I haven't had a chance for a good road test. First impressions are stiffer ride but handling hasn't changed much. I didn't have a handling problem prior to these changes so that's a good thing. I think the alignment will need a bit more tweaking but we will see how it feels after it's had a chance to sit on the new springs for a couple weeks and I've had a chance to get it on the road. I will take it back to the shop after I get some miles and everything has a chance to settle in place. They want to recheck torques and alignment before I go on any major trips. I'll keep everyone posted.

Unfortunately, the too high lift in the front from the 81004 springs has gotten to be the norm with recent installs. My bet is that they are also much stiffer and rough riding.

If you get a chance, would you be able to measure the front height of the wheel opening lift. Measure straight up from the ground though the center point of the wheel hub to the point on the outside of the wheel lip. The old springs would give about 35.5" there, but many now are seeing closer to 38". 210s will almost always be a bit higher than 190s because the big heavy rear overhange reduces front weight a bit in most cases.

If you are getting up near 38" you should take a look at possible upper control arm to frame hitting on extension of the suspension. We can walk you through that if you need to later.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote