Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2023, 01:04 AM   #1

Default Winnebago Roam

Does anyone on this forum have the Winnebago Roam? I want to upgrade the rims to 17s but I'm not sure if it will affect the gear ratio and the wheelchair lift. Please comment if you can help me out. Thank you.
JoycesJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 09:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycesJourney View Post
Does anyone on this forum have the Winnebago Roam? I want to upgrade the rims to 17s but I'm not sure if it will affect the gear ratio and the wheelchair lift. Please comment if you can help me out. Thank you.
I looked up the Ram Promaster and there is no option from Ram for any rim size other than 16 inches, though you do get a choice of four rims in that size.

Keep in mind as you go up in rim size you have to go down in tire sidewall height to keep the wheel diameter the same so the speedometer is not off. Less sidewall means a bumpier ride. Plus you are more likely to dent in the rim if you hit a big pothole. If you do it so the overall diameter of the wheel is the same it should not effect the lift. I would not do it. What I plan to do is get rid of the stock tires and put on Michelin CrossClimate tires which essentially are snow tires that you can run year around.
Dave in Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 12:14 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Why would you need bigger tires? It runs just fine on what it comes with.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 02:25 AM   #4
Gold Member

MsNomer - your post "Why would you need bigger tires? It runs just fine on what it comes with." is unhelpful, let the individual decide what they want.

JoycesJourney - go look at available TIRE sizes for 17" wheels, and see if the overall height is different. The wheel has very little to do with overall height, its the tire size/ratio. some tire site will list it as "plus" sizes when going with different size wheels, these plus sizes should retain the original tire height.

edit: overall height does affect "gear ratio" - plenty of tire upgrade mph calculators out there
Old 06-24-2023, 04:24 AM   #5

Just in case the most recent post is confusing, A rim that is one inch bigger in diameter with the same tire size is going to be 1 inch taller. So lets say you dump the standard 225 R 75 - 16 inch stock tires and put on 225 75 17 inch rims. That is enough to throw off your speedometer and odometer. Whatever your speedometer says, you will be going faster than that. If your speedometer reads 80 mph you will actually be going 82.7 mph and that could be the difference between having a nice day and getting a ticket. What you would need to do is go with 225 R 70 -17 inch rims. (Shorter sidewalls on the tires) That will have very little effect on your speedometer, being off by 3/10s mph at 80 mph. However with the shorter sidewall you will fee bumps more and are more likely on a big one to dent in the rim. I recommend sticking to the stock rim and tire size. You can buy fancier rims if you want to spiff up the vehicle.
Dave in Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote