Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2023, 09:04 PM   #1

Default 16’ airstream interstate shade replacement

Hi all,

I am wanting to replace my automatic shades for manual ones. Motors are constantly breaking and recently lost the remote. ( $400 to replace the remote alone!) Looking for advice and guidance from anyone who has undergone such project. Thanks I’m advance!
Johnny16EXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 10:06 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum. First, a note - you say 16 foot Airstream Interstate - is that a shorty? A newer one. Did you mean to say the Nineteen?

Second, FYI there is an Air Forums subforum titled Sprinter and B Van Forum which is where most of the interstaters are (although you might find more technical info on this forum, depending on the issue).

However, third, you’ve asked a generic Class B question, so let me answer it here.

If I were doing it all over again, I think I would opt for a “non-traditional” awning. I have an older Interstate, so my awning is a fully manual crank-out variety, and I am keeping it for now (if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it). I really like the look of the Dragonfly brand awnings (or tarps), though. If I were going to replace, I would investigate these further. Some screenshots:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:06 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Johny16EXT welcome the ClassBforum!

I assume you are talking about the inside window shades on a 2016 Interstate EXT model.

As InterBlog mentioned the Air Forums is likely to have this specific info available. Also, many Interstate owners on Facebook have replaced the problematic auto shades with simpler manual versions.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:56 AM   #4
Platinum Member

LOL, probably my bad. The OP said 16’ which I interpreted as 16 feet (which doesn’t exist). Confusion stemmed from there. INTERIOR shades, OK. I forgot those were motorized on some Interstate models.

We have this pleated kind. Some owners have complained about strings breaking, but knock wood, in 16 years, we haven’t suffered that fate. These would be expensive to have made because they are custom to the windows that Airstream installed, but I really like them:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 05:28 PM   #5
Platinum Member

You are having better luck than I have had with those pleated shades on my 2013 Interstate. Almost everyone has broken the strings. I've replaced several with a different brand that have held up well. I think the manual rollup stye like the old-style window shades on my childhood home in the 60's are the best solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
LOL, probably my bad. The OP said 16’ which I interpreted as 16 feet (which doesn’t exist). Confusion stemmed from there. INTERIOR shades, OK. I forgot those were motorized on some Interstate models.

We have this pleated kind. Some owners have complained about strings breaking, but knock wood, in 16 years, we haven’t suffered that fate. These would be expensive to have made because they are custom to the windows that Airstream installed, but I really like them:

Old 07-24-2023, 06:19 PM   #6
Site Team

It is not hard to replace those strings. I have a house full of Pella between-the-panes shades that I repair all the time. You do have to get the correct string, which is available.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream, diy, shades