Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2020, 02:57 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Arrow Berkey Filter Stand

Built a small box that functions as a stand for my Berkey water purifier. Made out of Walnut and a few strips of Maple, it elevates the Berkey and makes it possible to fill your mug much easier. It also gives me a place to store some spare parts and possibly my beloved tea bags
YouTube video link: https://youtu.be/o9wv6tXHcEY

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:32 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Looks nice and, best of all, functional.

I cheaped out and bought the Berkey with the see-thru plastic. Shoulda got the all-stainless.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Looks nice and, best of all, functional.
I cheaped out and bought the Berkey with the see-thru plastic. Shoulda got the all-stainless.

The SS is nice (with SS faucet) but way overpriced for what you get and I'm still unsure about how effective they are.
Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 03-13-2020, 09:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Hadn't heard of Berkely systems, so went to the website to look. What I got was a long laundry list of of how much % of a bunch of stuff it removed, but nothing about the micron rating or other more standardized specs. Is there more information elsewhere? When companies deviate from what most of the industry uses for performance criteria, I always tend to get very skeptical, but that is just my nature.
They also don't appear to have NSF certification, which would be a disqualifier for us.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:25 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Hadn't heard of Berkely systems, so went to the website to look. What I got was a long laundry list of of how much % of a bunch of stuff it removed, but nothing about the micron rating or other more standardized specs. Is there more information elsewhere? When companies deviate from what most of the industry uses for performance criteria, I always tend to get very skeptical, but that is just my nature.
They also don't appear to have NSF certification, which would be a disqualifier for us.
I do agree with you. My initial approach to clean drinking water in the van, was to install a RO system, which is probably the best, but uses a lot of energy and is quite voluminous. A regular filtration system is also voluminous in a van. Quite interesting was a small UV system, but that didn't do a complete job. I ended up with the Berkey, only based on references of users, which I virtually never do. The company's sales setup, also looks more like a monopoly or pyramid scheme. All not very confidence building. Since I used it I have noticed an improvement of the (taste) of water, but that doesn't mean that it does what I need.
Haven't found that out since I acquired it. If you have more info on it, or know of a better system for a small van, you would do me a great favor, if you told me.
Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 03-13-2020, 10:33 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargovanconversion View Post
I do agree with you. My initial approach to clean drinking water in the van, was to install a RO system, which is probably the best, but uses a lot of energy and is quite voluminous. A regular filtration system is also voluminous in a van. Quite interesting was a small UV system, but that didn't do a complete job. I ended up with the Berkey, only based on references of users, which I virtually never do. The company's sales setup, also looks more like a monopoly or pyramid scheme. All not very confidence building. Since I used it I have noticed an improvement of the (taste) of water, but that doesn't mean that it does what I need.
Haven't found that out since I acquired it. If you have more info on it, or know of a better system for a small van, you would do me a great favor, if you told me.
Van Williams

We have used a 3M, which is really the Cumo system that they bought out, system for nearly a decade. It is NSF, .2 micron, final charcoal for taste, all in one cannister that is good for up to 2000 gallons, IIRC. These are considered the standard by many marine folks for quite a while now. We don't hesitate to drink our fresh tank water with the filter in line. We have it set up to do the whole water system. The numbers have changed over time, but I think it is called something like B2 USA or such. We change ours every other year even if we don't get to the gallons used, or even close most times.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:20 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargovanconversion View Post
.............My initial approach to clean drinking water in the van, was to install a RO system, which is probably the best, but uses a lot of energy and is quite voluminous. ....................
Van Williams
Reverse osmosis (RO) water is good for showers or cleaning dishes or cars but not for drinking, the osmosis removes all minerals. Good filtration and activated carbon is likely the best for house/RV use.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #8
Gold Member

Nice box. How to you secure it or store it all while driving?
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote