Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2023, 08:25 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Cheap fix for cabinet supports

Like many, I got frustrated with the Hafele supports that eventually failed to hold our cabinet doors open. After enough knocks on the head, I decided to do something about it. I got this idea of using stiff spring stays off of an online Pleasure Way Forum. After looking into commercial spring stays, I was a bit put off by paying ~$30/door and having to drill new mounting holes, so being the cheap SOB that I am, I got to thinking. I wound up replacing the support mechanisms with springs, reusing the original mounts and could not be happier. Total of 1 hour and $20. Go here for a complete write up.

For hardware, I bought s six pack of springs ($12) and some braided sleeving ($8.00)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230419_142112.jpg (84.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 04-20-2023, 03:37 AM   #2
Platinum Member

wow looks great.

mind if I re-post your link to a PW group ?

btw if you ever need to wrap cabling ( or springs) a split flex tube is available in various sizes and colours

https://www.amazon.com/Techflex-Spli.../dp/B0008JF8UK
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:42 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Nice Work!

I too will give a quick THUMBS UP to the split flex tube Mike used. Variety of sizes and colors.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:50 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
wow looks great.

mind if I re-post your link to a PW group ?

btw if you ever need to wrap cabling ( or springs) a split flex tube is available in various sizes and colours

https://www.amazon.com/Techflex-Spli.../dp/B0008JF8UK
Thanks and feel free to share.
Old 04-20-2023, 01:59 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilym View Post
Like many, I got frustrated with the Hafele supports that eventually failed to hold our cabinet doors open. After enough knocks on the head, I decided to do something about it. I got this idea of using stiff spring stays off of an online Pleasure Way Forum. After looking into commercial spring stays, I was a bit put off by paying ~$30/door and having to drill new mounting holes, so being the cheap SOB that I am, I got to thinking. I wound up replacing the support mechanisms with springs, reusing the original mounts and could not be happier. Total of 1 hour and $20. Go here for a complete write up.

For hardware, I bought s six pack of springs ($12) and some braided sleeving ($8.00)
How does the spring bend in the proper direction to spring the door open? It looks like it could bend in any direction.
Attached Images
File Type: png Storage Door Spring.png (151.3 KB, 20 views)
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 02:15 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I had the same problem. I used these tried-and-true spring loaded door struts. They are inexpensive and made for RV use - they have been used in RVs for decades.

Unlike the springs, they simply compress straight down without bending outward.

If you install them correctly, they will move slightly past bottom dead center as the door closes, thus creating spring pressure on the door to stay closed. So they will both hold the door open (fully extended), and also hold the door closed (partially extended).

Simple, low-tech device that works perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (39.1 KB, 23 views)
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:48 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
How does the spring bend in the proper direction to spring the door open? It looks like it could bend in any direction.
Because the spring "eyes" are parallel to the side wall of the cabinet, the spring naturally hugs the cabinet wall when you push on it. I'll play around with pushing from different directions and report back. But, so far when I push toward the back of the cabinet, the springs just collapse along the inner cabinet wall. These are really sturdy supports when fully extended, but inadvertently hitting one will cause the cabinet door to close abruptly which is admittedly a downside to this solution.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:22 PM   #8
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Humble Road did something similar on Van #1. See https://youtu.be/tL6BXKLwEUE?t=219
Old 04-20-2023, 11:55 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInWoods View Post
Humble Road did something similar on Van #1. See https://youtu.be/tL6BXKLwEUE?t=219
That is a great video of how these work. The springs in that video are about $30 each and come with mounting hardware. My solution was a low cost replication of these using existing mounts. If you skip the sleeving, which is only for aesthetics, $2/door.