Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 10:41 PM   #81
Platinum Member

Default Finally done with power center

Designed to be completely and easily serviceable in place or center removed completely. Front panel lifts up for access, quite a wiring feat but worth it.Batteries to be installed when mounted in place, bolted from bottom under floor. Magnum 2800 pure sine inverter mounted on battery lid, slides in after batteries installed. Has battery temp and voltage alarms, cabinet lights, auto vent fan with extra twin booster fans, BMS. Main battery cutout switch and main/aux battery switch. Most everything marine grade, stainless. I have more controls to install but there isn't room.
http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/mc.../Mojovan/story
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1394.JPG (486.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1395.JPG (557.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1396.JPG (519.5 KB, 27 views)
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:26 AM   #82
Platinum Member

Default Passenger countertop

Just about done with the passenger side countertop. Induction cooktop, instant hot water dispenser, pot filler, flip up extension and a deep sink. It a little over 6' long with the extension. GFI plug and switch (all appliances will have a switch to curtail parasitic loss). I have a vent fan for the induction cooktop mounts on the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2194.JPG (542.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #83
Platinum Member

I've just been catching up viewing all of your photos:

mcgiotes's Recent Uploads | Photobucket

The whole project is looking great. Unique. Great use of space. Love the counter space. There's nothing like this available from the market place.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #84
Platinum Member

Thanks, We ended up with 25" of aisle width @ the counter and 28" @ the floor. Utilizing the recesses in the walls and the extra width of the Promaster allowed me to maximize space. Aisle width and counter space was a priority. We are able to walk by each other in the aisle and it makes the unit feel more open, less confined, especially in a van less than 20' long.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:55 PM   #85

Hi Mojovan
What kind of screen door did you use? brand?

Thanks in advance!

Rafael
Goldenraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #86
Platinum Member

Only source I know of is the distributor at:
drodabaugh@hotmail.com
Old 05-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #87
Platinum Member

Default Air bags installed

I noticed my generator was hanging lower to the ground from the weight of my build. It is 8 1/2", still above the bottom of the axle though I haven't loaded the unit with gear yet so I ordered a set of Boss air bags. Very high quality bags and are quite easy to install, about 1hr. I raised 1" and leveled the back of the van with about 20/25lbs of air. It drives better on the highway, less minor correction and quicker steering response, as it was prior to some of the weight gain. I also have an Helwig rear sway bar installed which is larger than the factory unit.

I would highly recommend these bags for any Promaster class b, especially the generator installed units since they hang so low. I was able to install my Onan 2800 with about 2 1/2" more ground clearance by cutting out the spare tire mounting crossmember and fabricating my own mounts.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #88
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
I noticed my generator was hanging lower to the ground from the weight of my build. It is 8 1/2", still above the bottom of the axle though I haven't loaded the unit with gear yet so I ordered a set of Boss air bags. Very high quality bags and are quite easy to install, about 1hr. I raised 1" and leveled the back of the van with about 20/25lbs of air. It drives better on the highway, less minor correction and quicker steering response, as it was prior to some of the weight gain. I also have an Helwig rear sway bar installed which is larger than the factory unit.

I would highly recommend these bags for any Promaster class b, especially the generator installed units since they hang so low. I was able to install my Onan 2800 with about 2 1/2" more ground clearance by cutting out the spare tire mounting crossmember and fabricating my own mounts.
Have you had it on the scales yet to see where you are at on load capacity?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #89
Platinum Member

My van is rated at 4010lbs load capacity I'm guessing 1600lbs in my build when done and 1000lbs for passengers,water fuel gear etc.... I'll weigh it when finished.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:24 PM   #90
Platinum Member

Default Inverter load test Magnum2800

I pulled 1440 watts on low 1560 on high for the coleman Mach8 13500 unit. I turned on the instant hot water heater (750 watts) and ran the microwave at 50%. All at once. No problem.
I calculated I can safely run my ac for over 6hrs just on the batteries (900AH lithium) in no sun, 7 hrs or more with sun. 400 watts solar panels MPPT, controller averaging 200watts.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:24 AM   #91
Platinum Member

Quote:
I pulled 1440 watts on low 1560 on high for the coleman Mach8 13500 unit. I turned on the instant hot water heater (750 watts) and ran the microwave at 50%. All at once. No problem.
I calculated I can safely run my ac for over 6hrs just on the batteries (900AH lithium) in no sun, 7 hrs or more with sun. 400 watts solar panels MPPT, controller averaging 200watts.
Love it. Must feel good after all that work.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #92
Platinum Member

Nicely done That's the type of system performance these advanced setups should deliver.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #93
Platinum Member

Default More progress

Mojovan Story by mcgiotes | Photobucket

Dinette works great, can set up where one can still lay down and the other can sit. Reading lights work great .
Old 05-29-2016, 12:17 AM   #94
Platinum Member

Default Custom Sunscreen

Wife finished the sunscreen, marine grade 5% light in. Also stainless generator exhaust, air bags and brush guard. Wife also made internal cab window shades made of reflectex/thinsulate/black material. Reversible so either white or black showing inside or out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0013.jpg (191.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0019.jpg (171.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0020.jpg (199.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-11-2016, 03:26 AM   #95
Platinum Member

Wow awesome build. Thank you for the details and photos. Very fun to read and the van looks great.

One question, why a standard generator vs a second alternator? We are investigating different brands and models of vans with different options. Underhood generators seem the rage so interested with a DIY project why you chose your setup.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #96
Platinum Member

The alternator wasn't available when I started the conversion. After using the unit I realize I may not need the generator, the 120 amp battery to battery charger may be enough. I also wanted a system that can operate completely independent of the van's engine/electrical system for warrenttee purposes. The Onan generator does operate more efficiently wth regard to fuel consumption but does use up space and weighs more. With super efficient insulation, all led lighting, an efficient DC compressor fridge, the demand for power is significantly reduced. If I had to do it over I would eliminate the generator and add more lithium capacity and a high amp shore power charger.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #97
Platinum Member

Default Mach 8 noise reduction kit results

Just installed the noise reduction kit, quite a nice reduction in the noise the AC makes. Worth the modest price for those with a Mach8 and want to quiet it down to a pleasant hum. I added some acoustic foam while I was up there.
Mach 8 noise reduction partial kit
Old 10-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #98
Platinum Member

Default TV and fan

Rather than a cabinet we installed a fan and 22" DVD/TV in the bed area. I was difficult to view the 15" TV installed in the forward section. We determined have plenty of storage so opted for more open space. The switch is spring loaded so I can turn off the fan with my foot while in bed, also two more 12v outlets and a light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2855.JPG (361.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #99
Platinum Member

Quote:
............. I can turn off the fan with my foot while in bed...........
That's convenient

Lots of space remaining also if any new device needs to be mounted.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:48 AM   #100
Silver Member

Quote:
A/C and sideways Maxxair install. Used plastic for rib spacers and a plastic base to distribute load and seal better. They are move as far back as I could and Maxxair sideways to fit 4 solar panels. Tight fit but it will fit.
http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/mcgio ... t=3&page=1
What do you think of a solution like the ecotrek where they mount a second alternator on the van's engine? Saves weight. It's quiet. Doesn't use a lot of space. May use a little more gas but not a huge difference. I'm curious because I was sold on this solution. Sounds pretty good on the surface at least. The fit RV website used a similar solution.
Cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote