Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2023, 06:10 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Pre 2021 Travato 59K upgrade - rear door release

Each year, I look at the new WINNEBAGO Travato 59K/KL to see what is new. I incorporate some of the new features. Some I do not, because they are downgrades in quality. And some things that I will do eventually, perhaps because I'm waiting for another revision of say, the air conditioner to become even quieter or more efficient. Or both. Although I think the current AC unit might make me pull the trigger on swapping out the one I have. Spendy, but the reduction in interior operating noise alone would be a blessing. Plus less AC current demand always a good thing.

Today I decided to add a rear door release strap like the one that WINNEBAGO began to include I think about the 2021 model. Whatever the year it came to life, our 2018 59K could benefit in having this additional item. While I have ordered some items through our local WINNEBAGO dealer, each time I do this, the people at the parts counter sort of become puzzled about my straightforward request to have them order pn XXXX, which always gets a question back at me about my Travato model year/coach serial number. A little patience to get past that, and the part or parts I need are finally ordered.

Rather than go through that process for the rear door strap, I decided to make my own. Surely, I could find a strap in a hardware store that would already have a loop sewn into one end. I actually found a 2 inch wide x 24 inch long strap with loops on both ends in a 2-pack at our local NORTH 40 store.

The WINNEBAGO door release strap is about 1 inch wide but nothing wrong with a 2 incher. I bought this ERICKSON MFG part #06317 and found I could modify it easily to do the job. The trick here is getting it installed on the door without damaging an electrical connector inside the door, close to where a hole was needed to be drilled. Mission accomplished but I won't detail that here. Just know I used a thin piece of 1 inch wide aluminum flat bar stock I had to place between the electrical connector-body in the door and the interior steel panel of the door to stop my drill bit from putting a hole in that connector. If someone who is REALLY handy, that really wants to know how I did this install, I can e-mail details directly. Just a summary and pictures here.

From the 24 inch strap w/loops at each end, I cut off a loop at one end. I then folded the extra length of the cut-off end to find a point where it could be attached to the RAM Promasters door pull handle, just like WB did to attach their strap. The game here was to position the remaining loop where it would be visible to a person, to pull on when the strap was attached like WB did. The person that pulls on this loop, ends up with the other end pulling-out the door pull handle and thus the internal mechanism in the door releases and the door is open. No more fumbling blindly, your hand between the door and the rear panel of the closet, to awkwardly pull on the RAM's door pull handle itself.

Pictures are worth a thousand words as they say. As you can see, explaining gets windy so take a look at the pictures included here. This isn't rocket science. But it requires some skill to perform, particularly WHERE to place the "bolt" into the door sheet metal to not destroy the aforementioned, internal door electrical connector. Drill a hole blindly and you will have a problem your RAM dealer will likely have to fix for you. After they order a part that I am sure they will not have in stock.

How does my strap work? I asked my wife to come outside. First to find the new thing I did in the bathroom. Next; what was it and how to use it. She figured it out without questions and with one easy pull on the loop, the passenger side rear door opened easily. Allowing the driver side door to then be operated normally. Logical, quick, and easy to exit the motorhome out the back. Perhaps in an emergency or just need to exit the Travato that way. When the motorhome is not in motion of course.

Storysrvwego
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAM Promaster_WB Traqvato door pull_3.JPG (547.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg RAM Promaster_WB Traqvato door pull_1.JPG (298.5 KB, 88 views)
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 07:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I'm missing something. Why can't you just pull the handle?

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:14 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Very good write-up, thank you for sharing.

I tend to fumble a lot when trying to open the rear door. Besides being blocked by the wardrobe, we also use one of those hanging shoe organizers for various stuffs and it further complicates finding that handle.
Old 05-10-2023, 12:02 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I'm missing something. Why can't you just pull the handle?
On my G model, the cabinetry is in the way making it a tight squeeze to put your hand on the handle. A remote pull strap makes it easier to open the door. I made a similar strap out of some nylon webbing I had laying around.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 03:49 PM   #5

Default Inside back door handle not working

Has anyone had an issue with the inside handle on the left side of back door not operating properly? I have taken it off and made sure it was tightened correctly but still will not opening the door.
Laurie S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 04:13 PM   #6
Platinum Member

You may want to search the PromasterForum for potential solutions or join up for assistance.

Tags
59k, pull strap, rear door, travato