Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2023, 02:58 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Replace Dometic RM 7401L with Isotherm Cruise 130 Elegance

2009 Roadtrek RS Adventurous replaced the Dometic RM 7401L 3-way refrigerator with a Isotherm Cruise 130 Elegance 12 volt compressor frig.

This is how we did it, I am not a RV professional, so you decide how it should be done.

The Dometic had a strong smell of ammonia so we assumed it was done. It was 10 years old, time for a replacement. The first thing I learned is that nothing was going to be a perfect fit. Not even another Dometic.

Since we have 300 AH of lithium batteries we decided to go with a 12 volt compressor frig for better tempature control.

An Isotherm Cruise 130 Elegance fits in the existing space left to right exactly. However it is a little shorter and deeper. When I say deeper, the box of the Isotherm extends as far as the gas burner extend on the old frig. The Isotherm has more space inside the frig.

Turned off propane, lit the stove to burn off the gas.
Removed the 12 volt fuse in the panel.
Removed the 4 screws that go thru the sides of the frig into the sidewalls.
Unplugged the 120 volt cord.
Removed door from the Dometic frig. Took everything out to lighten the load.
Disconnected the propane line at the back of the frig and capped the remaining line.
Pushed the old Dometic RM 7401L from the back (outside) to get it started and once the top was exposed removed the 10 gauge 12v supply wires from the terminal block on the top of the frig. Finished pulling the frig out of its compartment. Save the foam strip and reinstall it on the new frig.

We laid the bed down and laid cardboard on it. Pulled the old frig out the back.

There are some wood stops on the left and right in the cabinet that will need to be trimmed. I guess you could take out the entire board. I used a plunge saw and took off a couple of inches.

Next had to modify a piece of aluminum that is at the top back of the cabinet to clear the compressor on the new frig as it sticks past the back of the fring about an inch. I cut the aluminum so I could bend just the needed section and then tape the gaps with aluminum air contitioning tape.

You will need to build a platform for a level place to put the frig as the cabinet has a sloped floor. You cannot raise the frig all they way as there is 120v outlet sitcking into the left side of the cabinet. Which means you will need somthing to fill in the gap between the top of the frig and the cabinet. I used a piece of prefinished cherry that I happen to have from a kitchen cabinet install.

Next I rerouted the propane line to the stove. I put a 90 elbow on the existing line and ran new cooper to the stove going up the left side. Remember the compressor sticks out the back on the right an inch and spacing is tight.

Empty the new frig, change the door swing to open from the right. Remove door. In thru the back door over the bed.

You will need to decide what type of connector you want to use to connect the frig to the existing 12v supply wires. I used 30amp anderson power poles because I had them on hand. You could remove the terminal block from the top of the old frig and use that to make the connection.

Push the new frig into the cabinet. This took me several tries as I test fit. These test fits are where I learned that the aluminum and the propane lines needed the above adjustments.

I connected the top spacer board to the hinge mounts with L brackets.

Pushed the frig partially in. reinstalled the foam block from the old frig. Push the frig so the cabinet and frig (without the door) are flush and square.
Drilled holes through the sides of the frig in the designated areas, used new screws (the old ones are too long).
Mounted the door
and done!

I already had a computer fan mounted to the top frig vent in the side of the van. I left this in and attached the thermostat to the freon output line on the compressor. Not sure that it is necessary but this way I know there is good air circulation in the back of the frig.

The Isotherm cools much quicker and uses on average 4amps an hour. I am sure that will go up during the hot Florida summers.

You can do it. Go slow and measure twice and then measure again.

Hope this helps someone.

Tags
compressor, refirgerator, roadtrek