Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default ROLEF screen door for Travato 59K

I have a 2107 Travato 59K, and the sliding screen door has been useful, as well as an ongoing source of frustration for us. I have adjusted it many times; yet it still had a tendency to come off the bottom track on a regular basis. I also found it to be more difficult to use if the door was in the direct sun (I assume something was expanding slightly). My wife refused to use it.

So last summer we contacted Rolef http://rolef.ca to see about a door for the Travato 59K. They put us on a waiting list for the door, and contacted us around the end of November, 2019, to tell us it was ready to ship. I told them that we would come to their factory in Laval, Canada at the end of April, 2020, and have them install it (they do a free install). We planned a short cycling trip around the installation.

Then COVID-19 hit. They closed for 2 months, and by the time they reopened, the US-Canadian border was closed. So I finally had them ship me the door.

The installation is not very difficult. The existing screen door comes out easy enough - you do have to remove the trim above the sliding door inside the Travato to remove the top track, and it's only 2 screws to remove the actual screen assembly. They sent me a batch of photos showing how to hang the screen door. You can see the door installation on a 59G here https://youtu.be/o2PAWAZWyuY

It works fine, although you have to duck slightly when exiting the RV. It's expensive ($800), but it's very well made and I had no trouble getting support from the company. I looked at other screen doors, but I liked that this one was specifically designed for the 59K. The magnetic seal works well.

rolef_door.jpg

Howard
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk&hc View Post
I have a 2107 Travato 59K, and the sliding screen door has been useful, as well as an ongoing source of frustration for us. I have adjusted it many times; yet it still had a tendency to come off the bottom track on a regular basis. I also found it to be more difficult to use if the door was in the direct sun (I assume something was expanding slightly). My wife refused to use it.

So last summer we contacted Rolef http://rolef.ca to see about a door for the Travato 59K. They put us on a waiting list for the door, and contacted us around the end of November, 2019, to tell us it was ready to ship. I told them that we would come to their factory in Laval, Canada at the end of April, 2020, and have them install it (they do a free install). We planned a short cycling trip around the installation.

Then COVID-19 hit. They closed for 2 months, and by the time they reopened, the US-Canadian border was closed. So I finally had them ship me the door.

The installation is not very difficult. The existing screen door comes out easy enough - you do have to remove the trim above the sliding door inside the Travato to remove the top track, and it's only 2 screws to remove the actual screen assembly. They sent me a batch of photos showing how to hang the screen door. You can see the door installation on a 59G here https://youtu.be/o2PAWAZWyuY

It works fine, although you have to duck slightly when exiting the RV. It's expensive ($800), but it's very well made and I had no trouble getting support from the company. I looked at other screen doors, but I liked that this one was specifically designed for the 59K. The magnetic seal works well.

Attachment 9708

Howard
How long/complicated was the installation? Any drilling or just Velcro?

Thanks.
Iceage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:00 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceage View Post

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Iceage!

Looks nice, but too bad they can't price it reasonably.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceage View Post

Thanks.
The installation is not difficult, although I spent two days looking at the original door to figure out how to remove it. In the end, it was less than an hour to remove the original door - you just have to remove the trim above the door (the screws are hidden behind caps in the trim) to take off the top track. I left the bottom track in place.

After the door was out, it took me about 45 minutes to install the velcro (Rolef has pictures for that). Most of the time was spent checking that I was putting the velcro in the right spot. (There is extra velcro.) On the rear side of the door (above the TV) it gets a little tricky, as you have to place some of the velcro by feel.

Once the velcro is in place, the next step is to hang the door, followed by re-hanging the door, to make sure it hangs properly and closes correctly. It's not very difficult; but it does take time.

Once everything is done, you do need to install some screws, especially at the top. Again, they have photos to show where to put the screws in. They are small screws, and easy to install with a cordless drill. I suppose you could leave them out, but you might have to rehang the door on occasion.

Start to finish for me was about 4 hours; I'll bet Rolef does it in under 1 hour.

We have gone on three trips since installing the door, and it works great.

Yes - the door is expensive, but it's well made in Quebec, and cleverly designed so it has both a magnetic closure (which is very nice), along with the ability to unzip the door to roll it up for travel, or if you don't want to use it. So I don't really think it's over priced. Plus, if the US-Canadian border ever opens up again, Rolef will install it free of charge, and you won't have to pay shipping charges to get the door. Not to mention that the province of Quebec is a great place to take an RV.

Howard
Old 09-20-2020, 01:26 AM   #5

Quote:
The installation is not difficult, although I spent two days looking at the original door to figure out how to remove it. In the end, it was less than an hour to remove the original door - you just have to remove the trim above the door (the screws are hidden behind caps in the trim) to take off the top track. I left the bottom track in place.

After the door was out, it took me about 45 minutes to install the velcro (Rolef has pictures for that). Most of the time was spent checking that I was putting the velcro in the right spot. (There is extra velcro.) On the rear side of the door (above the TV) it gets a little tricky, as you have to place some of the velcro by feel.

Once the velcro is in place, the next step is to hang the door, followed by re-hanging the door, to make sure it hangs properly and closes correctly. It's not very difficult; but it does take time.

Once everything is done, you do need to install some screws, especially at the top. Again, they have photos to show where to put the screws in. They are small screws, and easy to install with a cordless drill. I suppose you could leave them out, but you might have to rehang the door on occasion.

Start to finish for me was about 4 hours; I'll bet Rolef does it in under 1 hour.

Yes - the door is expensive, but it's well made in Quebec, and cleverly designed so it has both a magnetic closure (which is very nice), along with the ability to unzip the door to roll it up for travel, or if you don't want to use it. So I don't really think it's over priced. Plus, if the US-Canadian border ever opens up again, Rolef will install it free of charge, and you won't have to pay shipping charges to get the door. Not to mention that the province of Quebec is a great place to take an RV.

Howard
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Iceage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:24 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:

Howard
Hi: I was wondering if you still had the photos. I am thinking about doing the install myself. Have a 2016 PW lexor on Ram Promaster. Thanks very much!
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:24 PM   #7
Silver Member

I don’t have the photos. They sent me a link to the photos, but I didn’t download them. If you asked, they would probably send you a link.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:05 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don’t have the photos. They sent me a link to the photos, but I didn’t download them. If you asked, they would probably send you a link.

Hi: Just installed last week on 2016 PW Lexor TS. Too bad instructions not great from Rolef. After my install, I was not too sure about some screw placements. Drilling to some fabric with padding and hitting the sheet metal at right angles was challenging.

Got it done but not sure about the area behind sink. I think it may require 3 screws. Contacted PW via. They sent me better photos on their install. They install routinely on all of their vans. Wish I had these photos before my install.
Actually it is not difficult. It would be better if they had the instructions in English on You Tube.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:32 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Hi: Just installed last week on 2016 PW Lexor TS. Too bad instructions not great from Rolef. After my install, I was not too sure about some screw placements. Drilling to some fabric with padding and hitting the sheet metal at right angles was challenging.

Got it done but not sure about the area behind sink. I think it may require 3 screws. Contacted PW via. They sent me better photos on their install. They install routinely on all of their vans. Wish I had these photos before my install.
Actually it is not difficult. It would be better if they had the instructions in English on You Tube.
If I understand correctly Rolef i using Velcro tape with adhesive attached to chassis' sheet metal and sheet metal screws, is this correct?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:52 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
If I understand correctly Rolef i using Velcro tape with adhesive attached to chassis' sheet metal and sheet metal screws, is this correct?
Essentially you are correct. Combination of sheet metal screw and wood screws. All about 7/16 length. They use the self tapping screws as drills. When going into metal, they are left behind. At some locations, they are removed and wood screws are inserted in their place. Like aluminum. Think as the velcro for temporary alignment of the screen. Once you are satisfied with alignment. You run screws directly thru screen, thru velcro on onto metal, wood and/or plastic.

The screens are very well made. Very well thought out. Kind of expensive. I only purchased the side door model. I used the ones from Amazon and finally spent for the Rolef.

The directions for the Travato are much better than Pleasure Way Lexor. Depending the model of the van, directions will vary. Go to Rolef website and look up the install for Travato. You will learn loads!
Old 07-07-2021, 12:14 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Yes. And will be lots of screws. Around 20 screws. Probably 50 percent will be self tapping metal screws and the balance wood screws. They are black anodized so blend well. Flange to press against the fabric. Screws into the fabric with extra hemming so fabric unlikely to tear.