Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2022, 09:58 PM   #21
Platinum Member

In my original configuration, I had to lower the batteries with a jack in order to access the terminals. But like you said, that doesn't happen very often.

I suspect that they (Thor) just figured that since the generator is going to get taken out the first time you back up into a parking space, the batteries might as well get taken out too.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:51 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
In my original configuration, I had to lower the batteries with a jack in order to access the terminals. But like you said, that doesn't happen very often.

I suspect that they (Thor) just figured that since the generator is going to get taken out the first time you back up into a parking space, the batteries might as well get taken out too.
Haha. Gulp.
I like your way of thinking. That may just be it! 🎆🌟🔥
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:25 AM   #23

Did they relocate your generator?
Van fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:44 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van fun View Post
Did they relocate your generator?
Just got it done. No, they did not relocate the generator as shown in the video. They simply lifted the entire back with some Sumo springs. No change to the front.

This added 1.5in, so now the clearance is 5". Not really good, but better than before.

Driving feels like riding a horse now.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:54 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Interesting that everyone else has only gotten about an inch in the rear with Sumos on the Promaster. 1/2 inch in the front...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:35 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Interesting that everyone else has only gotten about an inch in the rear with Sumos on the Promaster. 1/2 inch in the front...
Not sure... not an expert... aren't there spacers or something? It's definitely up in the rear On a level surface I now want to sleep with the head towards the back. Not a big deal.

The ride is noticeably different. Softer on one hand, so there is less noise (=> nice) but also more see-sawing on certain roads at certain speeds. Doesn't feel as stable as before.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:52 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Not sure... not an expert... aren't there spacers or something? It's definitely up in the rear On a level surface I now want to sleep with the head towards the back. Not a big deal.

The ride is noticeably different. Softer on one hand, so there is less noise (=> nice) but also more see-sawing on certain roads at certain speeds. Doesn't feel as stable as before.
That sounds bizarre. Standard is that the rear is higher than the front with Promasters. The main reason to add Sumos is to make the ride more stable... definitely not "softer" and it makes a major improvement in handling in wind and cornering. Takes away the body sway. I've had 2 Promasters (a 2500 and a 1500) and Sumos improve both of those significantly. The most common complaint is that the ride is stiffer according to those that have passengers in the rear.

I've always slept with my head to the rear.

This really makes me wonder what they have done, but it seems to be dramatically different from everyone else.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 04-24-2022, 12:16 PM   #28

We just bought a Rize 18m yesterday and the first thing I checked was the clearance of the generator. They have fixed it! Our coach was built on 3/22/22 and it looks like they have moved the gen. Forward a bit and raised it up. Now everything looks flush underneath.
billkozeal@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:03 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Hi Bill, welcome to the club, and thanks for replying! Lucky you! Can you measure the distance between the lowest part of the generator (or anything close to the ground) to the road? Just curious...
Old 04-24-2022, 08:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Hi Bill, welcome to the club, and thanks for replying! Lucky you! Can you measure the distance between the lowest part of the generator (or anything close to the ground) to the road? Just curious...
I can, we pick it up this Thursday.
billkozeal@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:50 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Congrats, very cool. Check out my review with pitchers if you'd like.

There I will also post a couple of things I fixed over the last 3.5 months that I had it.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:43 PM   #32

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by billkozeal@hotmail.com View Post
We just bought a Rize 18m yesterday and the first thing I checked was the clearance of the generator. They have fixed it! Our coach was built on 3/22/22 and it looks like they have moved the gen. Forward a bit and raised it up. Now everything looks flush underneath.
yes can you post a picture where they moved the generator please. I was in process of buying one and its in the back still and very low... I saw others on line for sale with generator moved forward of the rear axle . Thor tells me basically its my issue and they are still putting the generator in back and does not know anything about the new units I saw that were moved. Glad I did not buy this yet! thanks
JMJTRAVELER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Will do. I noticed that the battery sitting next to the generator is just as low, I hope they have a lift kit for that thing too. I saw a video where the placement of the generator is slightly more upfront. We'll see if that improves things or not, driving over a bump something centered between the two wheels may suffer quicker than something really close to one axle... well at least that's what I imagine when jumping over speed bumps.

Just came back from my first outing with the Rize, and there were quite a bit of unpaved roads involved. Nothing drastic happened, but the red generator contact cover thing got pushed backwards. Maybe a close call.
Yes Thor told me the generator was moved forward of rear axle and today they said they moved it back to the rear... I do not know what to believe anymore
JMJTRAVELER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:03 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Sadly typical of Thor...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 03-20-2023, 12:13 PM   #35
Platinum Member

On the highway and saw a newer RV, not sure what brand. Said to the wife, look at that generator, that thing is going to bottom out first big bump! Was it you?
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote