Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wheel offsets, particularly Roadtrek Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
A thread was started on the Yahoo board by a guy that wanted his spare wheel to match the aluminum (American Racing) wheels on his Chevy based Roadtrek. He bought another of the AR wheels, and then found it did not fit properly on the tire carrier because the offset was different. This has started a very interesting discussion, of which I have been very interested. It, at first, seemed to be no big deal, but when I looked into it further, I developed a different feeling about it..................
Now this is very interesting. We have a spare tire/wheel, mounted at the rear of the RV. If we get a flat, and need to use the spare, we can not mount the flat tire/wheel in the location of the spare?

I wonder how it would work, if remove the cover from the spare and mount the AR-23 wheel/tire? Would it fit any better with a 2.0" wheel spacer attached to the carrier, or would that make the problem worse? Hmmmm, time for some testing.

He said that when he tried to put the AR wheel on the holder, it stood proud by about 1" (gap between the tire and the carrier upright), so he couldn't put the cover back on. He was going to get 1" out of the mount to move it back in closer. I would worry more about putting two different offsets on the front, in case of a flat, as it could pull horribly.

I haven't had time to really look into alternate wheels, as I am hoping someone wants to trade for factory steelies, but the little I have done would indicate that wheels for a Chevy Silverado might work well. They come in 8 bolt by 6.5 for the 2500 and 3500, which are probably the same wheels, and it appears they are 31mm offset, which is not much off, and a 1/8" spacer would put you right on, if you chose to. I have seen alloys listed in various diameters and widths, so you would have some choices.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote