Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #1

Default 1987 dodge xplorer b250 - battery isolator problem

I picked up an Xplorer camper van today... couldn't resist the deal. The PO said he was fed up after replacing the alternator and batteries, and the charging system still not working. I have a b150 cargo van and had a hunch the problem was the voltage regulator. On my 1990 b150, there is no external regulator... voltage is regulated by the "computer"... you fix it by bypassing and adding an external regulator.

Well, when I got to the Xplorer, someone had stolen one of the two batteries. The van has a multibattery isolator with a breaker switch on the grill. Not sure if this was factory or aftermarket, but there was some evidence of shoddy tinkering. I got the van to crank with a jump, but couldn't get it started.

Here are the symptoms...

-Correct voltage across main battery terminals.
-7 volts across secondary battery terminals, regardless of the position of the breaker switch.
-No dash lights or radio with key on "accessory". Climate system works, and downstream lights seem to work... glove box, dome light. So some power is getting through, but not to everything.

Any ideas? Also, i'm new to camper vans, are there other good forums to check out?

ivandrocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #2

Check for battery isolated switch on drivers side of dashboard
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote