Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2017, 12:20 AM   #1

Default Generator runs no power to cabin.

Hello: Totally confused, Some say automatic transfer switch other say no. Looked everywhere for auto trans switch no luck or do not know what I am looking for.Generator- Generac series 50G model 9712-1 Motor home 1995 ford Conquest 102, Generator starts and runs great but with no power to cabin.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Gettin there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:34 AM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettin there View Post
Hello: Totally confused, Some say automatic transfer switch other say no. Looked everywhere for auto trans switch no luck or do not know what I am looking for.Generator- Generac series 50G model 9712-1 Motor home 1995 ford Conquest 102, Generator starts and runs great but with no power to cabin.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The must be a fuse on the genset, or between the genset and your coach.
Not the fuse at the panel, but another fuse either on the genset, or just outside of it.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:59 AM   #3

Thanks fuse is good.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:08 AM   #4
Platinum Member

can you check for power output at the generator?

check for online manual- for instance my Onan 2800 manual is online- and that is how I found out where the circuit breaker is mounted on my model.

other wise it is unplug and genny off- all power of and pull the cusions and physically find out where all the parts are

in my PW, I also have circuit breakers in a panel by my sofa

when i first bought it I spent many afternoons in the driveway discovering how the systems were laid out

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:05 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Just thinking out loud ,have you tried reflashing? Ron
Old 06-25-2017, 03:46 AM   #6

Don't catch the drift, please explain.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:34 AM   #7
Platinum Member

If you check out U-Tube you will see examples of it done; it is running the genny, with a electric drill plugged in, set it to run Forward, hold the trigger down, spin it to Reverse. This will oftentimes bring it to life. Be careful while your doing it, should it work, it is going to go full bore into the Forward which you have it set for. Hope it helps. Ron
Old 06-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettin there View Post

Somewhere in the coach there is a transfer switch that prevents power being delivered to your 120V from both shore power and generator power at the same time, a condition definitely to be avoided. It is not part of the Generac unit and sits in a box of its own, typically 6" x 6" x 4" deep. In its non-energized state, the transfer switch permits power to pass from shoreside to your 120V breaker panel. When you start up the generator, it provides power to the relay in the transfer switch that disconnects the shoreside input and permits the generator to supply power to your 120V breakers.

Fire up the generator, turn on the breakers on the generator control panel and test one of the 120V outputs on the generator control panel with an appliance. If power isn't present, the generator motor runs, but no power is being delivered. If power is present, the generator is OK and the next suspect is a non operasting transfer switch.

When a generator delivers 120VAC to a properly operating transfer switch, there is typically this sequence:

1. Generator applies 120VAC to a circuit board in the transfer switch.

2. The circuit board delays firing the transfer switch relay for a preset period to permit the generator to come up to speed.

3. The transfer switch circuit board then rectifies the 120VAC to 120V DC and delivers it to the 120 VDC relay winding in the transfer switch which disconnects the shore power path and connects the path from the generator to the 120V breaker panel.

If the generator output is validated, the transfer switch should be located. The front panel is usually hinged and can be exposed to permit probing the relay winding contacts with a volt meter to determine if the relay is getting energizing voltage. Needless to say, caution should be exercised when dealing with exposed lethal voltages.

If there is 120VAC fouund at the input of the transfer switch circuit board but no 120VDC voltage on the relay winding contacts , the circuit rectifier board is bad. If 120VDC is found on the relay winding contacts, either the relay winding is open or some power contacts are sticking or have welded making the relay physically inoperable and will require replacement.

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter4.php
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote